Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla at Hot Rod show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish I knew about this earlier.

Drove from Oakland to Manteca this weekend for sons baseball. I had time on the way back through Pleasanton and would have stopped.

Manteca Trip
145 mile round trip overnighter with no charger. Put in extended range for charge (just in case). Top off as temps were 80+.

Strange Irony... Driving back through Altimont Pass. Windmills were blowing at full power. Thus, windmill electricity being genrerated at capacity. However, I am driving into the headwind using full power.

95% of trip was freeeway miles, with 70% of freeway miles drafting others at 70-75mph. Had 50 freeway/75 ideal left at end of trip.

As all of us are aware, drafting on the freeway is efficient. My trip just emphasized it. On occasion, it's better to follow than lead.

Well, no big loss. I stood around for about 2 hours until they finally took the car out with a few selected people that went for a ride along. It was a short little 30 second track, and I really expected the car to do better - but it was about mid pack with all of the other cars. Best time I saw for the day was 29 seconds from Mary Posey in her 1970 Camaro - but she is a regular to the Good Guys autocross and usually beats all of the guys. People actually hand their cars over to her to see what she can do with them.

Anyway, I was really hoping for a trained driver to take the Tesla Roaster around very quickly and beat all of the times of the big heavy gas cars. Of the 3 runs I saw, the best time was 31 sec, the other two were 32 seconds. Many 3500 pound muscle cars did that time.

What I don't understand is why this was not used as an opportunity to show off the car. The car sat parked with no Tesla employee by it at all to ask questions. These are thousands of gear heads - they want to know about how things mechanically work. This was prime time to open the hoods, show off the batteries, whatever. There were continuous people walking around the car and looking at it, but no Telsa rep. I don't get it - this was a car show.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

Last edited: