Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://twitpic.com/3ovzvp
attachment.php?attachmentid=1282&d=1294695604.jpg

Attachments

• mods-big.jpg
    mods-big.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 357
Indicating the alpha will roll out later in the show....from the introduction in the video:

"...today, our focus is upon vehicle engineeering. We seek to showcase vehicle engineering's capability--the in-house capability that Tesla has acquired. One of the really great enticements for me joining the company 2 years ago--the inspiration--was to build up a really talented engineering team, and produce some cutting-edge engineering. So I think it's entirely appropriate today, that instead of showing you a show car, we actually show you an engineering exhibit, showing you the level of engineering and technology that underpins the Model S at its alpha prototype stage."
-Peter Rawlinson

I love it. Tesla's goal is not on just flashing the car and checking with sales for new reservations...but instead to tout it's engineering talent. That shows you where Tesla's focus is.

How many other car companies do this? (I dunno).

I kept waiting for the stumble off of his soapbox :).

Since today and tomorrow are both press preview days, I'd expect the alpha to roll out tomorrow. If that's the case, it might actually be a really smart move...that way they don't get drowned out from all of the other reveals today.

Check out this video.

From the way Peter Rawlinson describes it, this is just their "Day 1" reveal. Pretty sure the fully-built alpha show car will be coming out in the next couple of days. They don't want to set off all of their fireworks on the first day :).

Im really glad to hear that this is just the day 1 reveal. I was a little disappointed when I thought they were just showing the frame and "guts" of the car. I was really hoping they were going to show a completed version of the car. Now that I know they are, Im excited to see what the final version will look like.

*Does anyone know if or will Telsa use the "Tesla logo" side markers in the final design?
*I also noticed that the cut outs for the door handles are missing. What stage the NAIAS "engineering" model pulled out of the "Alpha" build process?
*Why did Tesla change the wheels and not keep the Mercedes wheels from the rolling concepts?
*Why did Tesla choose an air suspension as a posed to shocks and springs? And will that be available on the up models or base models?

Do we know it is an "air suspension"? I didn't see any springs, but I just wonder if they didn't mount them in the model.

V.P. Peter Rawlinson mentions using an "air suspension" for the rear suspension in [video]http://www.mlive.com/naias/index.ssf/2011/01/with_video_an_inside_look_lite.html[/video]. His remarks can be heard at 9:19 into the video.