Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Atlanta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I meant 20% Tint on front windows is illegal

if anyone has tint shop suggestions im all ears. I haven’t worked with tint world just spoke with owner and saw the shop And work first hand and looked very good. But there’s lots of those places so if people know others post thrm. Im getting 50-70 on windshield and 20 on the roof. Both ceramic film. Tint worked quoted like $450 for that.

also anyone know of a detailed that can polish deep scratches out of my headlight ?
AP3 does a one stage polish across the car before applying PPF. They do the front headlights (they should be able to remove the scratches if they aren’t to bad) and fog lights. If you ask them to include it (I did) then they should throw in the rear taillights in PPF for the same price. I payed $5300 for the stealth.

Ok where’s ap3 ? Do they do tint ? I already have ppf.

I wjll searxh more on the roof tint but can’t see how that could cause cracking. As is the roof might hit 100 on a very hot day so adding tint to roof should not matter. Worth a check to see tho.

I wjll searxh more on the roof tint but can’t see how that could cause cracking. As is the roof might hit 100 on a very hot day so adding tint to roof should not matter. Worth a check to see tho.
ap3 is in alpharetta. the tinted roof cracking rumor is true. when i spoke with ap3 and clear film, they both mentioned they do not touch the roof as they saw that happening rather often.

ap3 is in alpharetta. the tinted roof cracking rumor is true. when i spoke with ap3 and clear film, they both mentioned they do not touch the roof as they saw that happening rather often.
I guess I have a lucky roof then as mine has been tinted for a long time. Sits outside during the day in 110+ temps. More likely is a rock bouncing off the roof and cracking it. Easier to blame the tint. You can not tint the front panel on a model 3. Those do crack if tinted.

AP3 does tint. They have the cutter machines that make the job look professional. They did my sides and back. I never asked them about the roof. Had it done in MO. There are a lot of people here with tinted roofs. They also tint them a lot in Arizona.

I doubt tinting causes roof cracking but it certainly would change the thermal stresses on the roof. More important to the issue is that if your roof does crack Tesla will probably try to refuse it as a warranty claim if tinted.

I doubt tinting causes roof cracking but it certainly would change the thermal stresses on the roof. More important to the issue is that if your roof does crack Tesla will probably try to refuse it as a warranty claim if tinted.
Tesla wouldn’t warranty claim it anyway. All they have to claim is a rock hit it. They will never replace a roof under warranty on a vehicle that has any length of ownership.

Incorrect. The roof is not susceptible to cracking from tint. I’ve created several threads and there are thousands of people (myself included) with tinted roofs. My tint shops does 10-15 roofs a week.
The glass roof absolutely is susceptible to cracking when tinted. It's not a theory, a myth, or aberration either. It's a fact and it's well documented on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. There are many many tint shops who either flat out refuse to tint the glass roof on a Tesla or make you sign a waiver releasing them of all liability in the event of a crack.

The act of placing film on the glass roof alone doesn't not make it susceptible to cracking. Film, especially one with high IRR properties, causes excessive heat absorption that could cause the glass to rapidly expand and crack.

The glass roof absolutely is susceptible to cracking when tinted. It's not a theory, a myth, or aberration either. It's a fact and it's well documented on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. There are many many tint shops who either flat out refuse to tint the glass roof on a Tesla or make you sign a waiver releasing them of all liability in the event of a crack.
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. There are also lots of forum posts who have tinted their roofs without issue. It boils down to personal preference. I tinted mine quite a while ago and have had no issues. I went with XR Black from XPEL. I’ve talked to the Tesla SC here in STL who have seen multiple Tesla’s come in without issue. If you ask them for a reference to tint the roof they send (me included) to the tint shop I chose. I did not sign any waiver against roof cracking. I’ve read all over the internet of roofs cracking WITHOUT any tint on them.

Hey there, also awaiting my Model Y in the ATL area. thanks for posting about AP3, was looking at Next Level detailing in Kennesaw for ceramic coating. Was thinking of just doing the PPF that Tesla offers (but currently out of stock)

yeah hell been thinking of Ceramic coating, but reading through tons of forums, and been reading a lot of while its nice, you can get by with like a chemical guys ceramic coating type wax as well. So going back and forth on a lot of it.
Check out Avalon king. That is who I used. Just don’t confuse ceramic coat for PPF. To totally different products that protect different ways.

Reactions: DaveGT
Has anyone tried The Tint Guy in Woodstock?
I used them 11 years back on my then brand new Camry and they did a fantastic job then. Any considerations or experiences with them now?