TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

"Tesla Auction" in California?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Tforme, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Tforme

Tforme Member

A used used car dealer on auto trader has listed a Tesla that he says was purchased at a "Tesla auction" in California. The Carfax shows corporate vehicle and that it was sold at auction. Is Tesla conducting their own auctions now? Or maybe this was thru a normal auto auction?

Some heavy depreciation on that car. One year old with 9k miles and being resold for a starting asking price of $36,000 off MSRP - probably could negotiate several thousand off of that.

2. iSpencerPRo

iSpencerPRo Member

Could have been purchased at a normal auction that happened to sell a TSLA. I just looked up to see anything around here and there are a ton of Tesla's up for auction. Some with clean title but damage most salvage. *sugar*, there is some of them for less than 10g. I figure people could buy them and resell certain parts for more?

3. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I saw one change hands at Barrett Jackson auction. They paid CPO price without a warranty. Not a good deal for the buyer.

4. azred

azred Member

I believe the famous TV auctions are more about ego and adrenaline rushes than getting good deals.

5. Tforme

Tforme Member

A related observation: it appears to me the used market for both S and X has really softened a lot in the last couple of months. Looks like prices have come down a lot and many of these cars just aren't moving - on dealer lots or with private party sales.

I've seen a couple of articles recently on the used car glut forcing down prices. Maybe this is happening with Tesla, too.

6. Damien Sandow

Damien Sandow New Member

Dealerships (and Tesla) make it really hard to know what you are looking at. The packages aren't listed so you don't know what type of deal you are getting. Also the Tesla warranty makes the CPO feel like a much safer choice.