Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Australia now quoting WLTP range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gee, I just had a look at their model 3 listing. They are Cherry Picking the Performance 0 -100 time and placing it with the LR's range.

1625308760494.png

Should be 3.3 s & 567 km or 4.4 s & 580 km.

Don't forget the 0-60 in <2s with 1 foot roll out asterisk for the plaid modelS for cherry picking.....
I read this “1 foot rollout” thing frequently in US forums and had to look it up to find out what it meant.

Absolutely ridiculous. Only in the US would they measure the time to go from 0-60 from a speed other than 0.

Reactions: Max_G
Found this conversion (they vary a bit but probably reasonably true) if anyone is still interested. WLTP numbers are starting to come up on Tesla's pages.
WLTP = 1.12 x EPA
NEDC = 1.43 x EPA

My experience (with a single data point of my S90D) is that EPA numbers are pretty right in practice.
If the remaining range battery indicator is based on EPA (and I think it is, since it was always 500 km max for M3 LR) then I agree - it’s very good, even at highway speeds. In my experience with highway driving, it’s an under-estimate by about 10% with AC off, and over-estimate by the same with AC on. So have the AC on 50% of the time and it nails it 😄

The LEAF guess-o-meter in comparison is little better than a random number generator.

it’s an under-estimate by about 10% with AC off, and over-estimate by the same with AC on
My AC is pretty much always on, and the dash range display is spot-on the EPA number for not-too-hilly suburban driving at 190Wh/km. On freeways the car is more efficient, getting 160-170, as long as I don't leadfoot it too much (AP on at speed limit). So if you take only the freeway figure, it jibes up pretty well with the WLTP number.

I would imagine, not knowing any better, that the 1-foot rollout is to prevent unpredictable human reaction time from being counted in the 0-100 time. This would potentially give large errors when the car is as quick as sub-2-seconds.

I would imagine, not knowing any better, that the 1-foot rollout is to prevent unpredictable human reaction time from being counted in the 0-100 time. This would potentially give large errors when the car is as quick as sub-2-seconds.

nope as the counter is seperate and includes reaction time. rollout is only for historic reasons due to the technical limitations of measuring a 0 to 60 time back in the days.

Reactions: aegidius

I suspect it is being done to offset some cheat modes from certain manufacturers.
They had a launch mode, rev'ing the engine to maximum with the brakes on full, before setting off. Basically showing 0-60 times entirely unobtainable in real usage.