Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Auto Pilot kept me safer than ever today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty tired of all the negativity around Auto Pilot I want to start a thread about stories on how AP actually saves people from getting hurt. I will start by saying that today , not once in all my driving I went over the speed limit. Auto Pilot made sure I was on my lane and never exceeding the speed limit. Something that never happened before having a Tesla. It's simply impossible to not go above the speed limit every once in a while or zigzag a bit on a highway. How was your auto pilot experience today ? how is Tesla Auto Pilot making YOU a better driver ?

Pretty tired of all the negativity around Auto Pilot I want to start a thread about stories on how AP actually saves people from getting hurt. I will start by saying that today , not once in all my driving I went over the speed limit. Auto Pilot made sure I was on my lane and never exceeding the speed limit. Something that never happened before having a Tesla. It's simply impossible to not go above the speed limit every once in a while or zigzag a bit on a highway. How was your auto pilot experience today ? how is Tesla Auto Pilot making YOU a better driver ?
Before the negativity takes over this thread, let me confess that AP does a much better job of maintaining the lanes than I do. So much so that my family notices when I am not on AP.

Auto pilot limits your speed to 5mph above the speed limit. I will take pictures for you next time ok ?

First you said you it is impossible to not go over the speed limit
Then you said you can go 5 miles over the limit.
So you are asserting that the car can only be set to drive at the speed limit and no other speeds below that. . (I know about the 5 mile overage)

Last edited:
So you are asserting that the car can only be set to drive at the speed limit and no other speeds below that. . (I know about the 5 mile overage)

I never. Drove within 5mph of the speed. No one does. We all go beyond it at times. Not with auto pilot.

I'm also irritated by all these people abusing AP. I have a 70 mile daily highway commute and AP is truly remarkable and works so well I couldn't stand driving my wife's car to work the other day. Just keep your elbow on the right armrest and your hand on the bottom of the wheel and sit back and watch the road. That way you can sense if it is having any issues via the wheel and it is safer.

I don't believe you.
Do you have any proof of these assertions?
How is it impossible to not go above the speed limit?
I think Drivin was being sarcastic but I could be wrong
@Larry, as you can see, @Drivin was not being sarcastic. He was being pedantic.

I think the OP was simply asserting that if you set AP to go the speed limit, it will not go over the speed limit. Versus a human driving and attempting to go the speed limit, but will naturally vary up and down, sometimes significantly when we stop paying attention.

I didnt know you could set this. Im cool with the default setting though. :)

I believe that you can only set it for 5mph faster than the posted speed on non-divided highways. On divided highways, you can exceed that.

Strangely enough, I go slower when on AP. Without it, I can't stand the tedium of driving, so I speed. With AP, I remain calmly attentive, unstressed, and I don't mind being on the road fractionally longer. Unexpected consequence.

AP is like having an extra driver.

When pilots crash a plane in autopilot they don't look at the autopilot as responsible for the plane.

Some people are pathetic. Tesla had to state they weren't turning it off during investigation. As if. It would be like disallowing seatbelt use because someone wrapped one around their neck and then drove into a tree. Silliness.