Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla auto wipers is a real danger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To add. Of our cars most old 2004 MB 4matic e has flawless auto wipers. Best in any vehicle I’ve ever driven. The ones in the 3 and S are mediocre at best but no where near as bad as my 2013 Lexus LX570 (which was the Lexus flagship at the time). In the teslas and Lexus I just kick it old school and don’t use “auto” you know like I did the 15 years of driving before I had auto wipers, without catastrophic windshield clearing failure I’ll add.

I like to run my wipers to run at the lowest frequency possible while still retaining visibility. Maybe you like to run your wipers quicker and that's why they suit you better?

The autowipers in my 2013 S work better. 99% reliable in any kind of rain or drizzle, and the speed choices are better. Of course they use a normal rain sensor and not a camera-based algorithm. I still slow them down manually sometimes, mainly when stopped, but that's easy when the car has a normal wiper knob.

Honestly I would be happy with manual wiper control only and don't need autowipers, if it was a normal knob.

Oh and the OTHER thing that bugs me is, when the are wipers off, you can't directly select which mode to change them to! That's just inane, there is no reason to hide all the mode buttons on the touchscreen when the wipers are off, but that's exactly what the UI does.
I've honestly never noticed them going any quicker than they should go. I mean they definitely aren't making the squeaking sound when there is light rain and they are moving too fast. And believe me I'm not trying to defend Tesla, I have plenty of issues with Tesla, but this isn't one of them.

In most other cars manual is convenient and auto is adjustable. So just because for somebody auto is in the right spot, doesn't mean it's ok to not have those functions. Obviously we aren't getting convenient manual selector ever.

Reactions: Sporty
The only issue I have had with auto wipers is them getting stuck on when I don't clean my car and get smudges over the sensor. If anything, their heir on the side of too fast rather than too slow, which I don't mind. Push the button on the stalk to get a quick wipe until it adjusts if you are having issues

Was driving yesterday and there was a condition I noticed. The rain stopped for a while, but there was a lot of misty spray from other cars. In this condition, the wipers don't activate because the cameras are still clear (I looked and can see top of the windshield is clear). I'm not sure if a traditional rain sensor would do any better though as they are also typically mounted on the top. It wasn't a big deal as I can still see, and I can still easily press the button if necessary.

Reactions: fiatlux