Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla auto wipers is a real danger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving with light rain, and wipers on auto. The fact you cannot change the speed quickly and that the automatic detection is poorly working can be deadly. In my case, the rain suddenly became so strong that I could not even see the motorway and the system did not adjust the speed quickly enough, forcing me the search the command on the central screen. Really dangerous

Nicolas, Belgium

When I first got my car about 6 months ago, I thought the auto wipers were useless too. They never started when they should have and they would turn on randomly for no reason. I have them on other cars and those work much better. I eventually shut them off for a few months. However I have since turned them back on again and they seem to work ok for me now. I'm not going to say they work perfectly, but they are better. If it has just started raining lightly they still are slow to turn on but I've found that by pushing the mist button on the stalk it appears to wake them up and they usually work pretty well for the rest of the drive.

Although I did have one experience with them in auto mode that really astonished me. It had rained pretty heavily but had stopped and the auto wipers weren't on. The car in the lane next to me hit a deep puddle and sent a wall of water towards the car. I can't prove this, but it seemed like the wipers actually proactively turned on just before the water hit the windshield. It was pretty amazing.

Yeah I also found the auto wipers to be pretty pathetic when I first got the car in March (late 2019 software). These days it works almost perfectly for me, much better than the BMW I had before. Whenever it doesn't wipe fast enough for me, I just tap that left stalk button as other posters have said. I don't think there's any safety issue if the driver knows about that button.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I was driving with light rain, and wipers on auto. The fact you cannot change the speed quickly and that the automatic detection is poorly working can be deadly. In my case, the rain suddenly became so strong that I could not even see the motorway and the system did not adjust the speed quickly enough, forcing me the search the command on the central screen. Really dangerous

Nicolas, Belgium

Beside pushing the stalk, you could have pushed the button for voice commands on the steering wheel and said "Wipers, high speed".

Or "Wipers, Speed 4". Both of those would work, and be faster than searching for the command on the screen.

Nicolas, Belgium
Just press the button in once and this will wake up the wiper system and it will work right after that.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
I paid $65k for a car that cannot figure out how to make wipers work automatically. Unbelievable. This is not new technology, my 2017 MX3 worked like a charm... same with the auto high-beams. My 2014 M6 was the same. Hell, the last 2019 Focus shitbox rental was flawless.
Damn, sounds awful. You bought a terrible car not worth anywhere near what you paid for it. a total POS. You'll be lucky to get $30,000 for it. I just happen to know someone willing to buy it for that price.

I tried auto wipers on my 2021 Model 3 expecting them to be horrible from accounts in these forums, but actually they work fine, may even be more aggressive in wiping than I typically do. If I need a quick swipe, I can just push the button. However, I'm the type that prefer to not wipe until absolutely necessary, so it may be different for others if your preference is different.

I paid $65k for a car that cannot figure out how to make wipers work automatically. Unbelievable. This is not new technology, my 2017 MX3 worked like a charm... same with the auto high-beams. My 2014 M6 was the same. Hell, the last 2019 Focus crapbox rental was flawless.
Dude, you need a little chill. Every car has things it doesn't do well (and what those things are change depending on who you ask). You see posts just like this in every forum by some person irritated with whatever small thing. "I paid X for this car and it can't even do this right." Let us know when you find that car that does every single thing exactly right and the above post can't be said about any feature. Then let us know how much this mythical vehicle cost and where we can buy it. Then I'll find you someone who disagrees and thinks the headlights are crap, or that the seats are uncomfortable, or the ever present "the paint on these cars is so bad/thin/soft." Some people just need things to complain about I guess and like to be dramatic when they do it.

Last edited:
I don't get an attitude of "yeah, it's not perfect, but quit whining". For sure we need to be keep whining here about things that aren't good yet. How else do they know what to fix? And argument that it doesn't work well on a 65k car is legitimate as well.

Yeah, it's not end of the world and for most people wouldn't be a reason to not buy a car. But it's still something they should fix.