Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla automatic braking when approaching stopped car at stop light/sign?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first Tesla, so I'm wondering what does the car do when I'm approaching a stopped car at the intersection quickly without autopilot enabled and let the regenerative braking do it's thing without pressing the brakes myself.

Will the car apply the brakes itself gently, or will it treat the situation like an emergency brake event?

This is my first Tesla, so I'm wondering what does the car do when I'm approaching a stopped car at the intersection quickly without autopilot enabled and let the regenerative braking do it's thing without pressing the brakes myself.

Will the car apply the brakes itself gently, or will it treat the situation like an emergency brake event?

Without autopilot, I think the car will only apply the emergency braking at the very last moment as an emergency. You will probably get a warning chime before that depending on your sensitivity settings, but it won’t automatically slow you down in a gradual sense. I’ve had a few close calls over the years, but i don’t think i have ever experienced the emergency braking feature kicking in by itself.

It sounds like you’re really asking about TACC, not FSD. If TACC is on, the car will slow like a human as it approaches the car in front - including coming to a full stop.

FSD seemingly has some decent collision avoidance logic in some situations. I’ve had it swerve my car into the freeway breakdown lane to avoid a high speed clipping from a car swerving across lanes of traffic in my blind spot.

Reactions: Wahbash
It sounds like you’re really asking about TACC, not FSD. If TACC is on, the car will slow like a human as it approaches the car in front - including coming to a full stop.

FSD seemingly has some decent collision avoidance logic in some situations. I’ve had it swerve my car into the freeway breakdown lane to avoid a high speed clipping from a car swerving across lanes of traffic in my blind spot.
Thanks for that clarification.

That makes sense. So without FSD, it won't treat the situation like an attentive human would.

When FSD attains human-like awareness, the terminators will rise. Early FSD adopters will get to smugly enjoy their investment for about 5 minutes before the nukes fall and the entire land is covered in mushroom clouds. Hopefully Elon's kid Aeon Flux Capacitor-12 will be our John Connor.

But yeah, automatic emergency braking will only save you from impact if you're traveling at a slow enough speed relative to the car in front of you.

When FSD attains human-like awareness, the terminators will rise. Early FSD adopters will get to smugly enjoy their investment for about 5 minutes before the nukes fall and the entire land is covered in mushroom clouds. Hopefully Elon's kid Aeon Flux Capacitor-12 will be our John Connor.
That's why I'm so nice to my car. I garage her, keep the bird poop cleaned off, restrict allowing children in her, don't under or overcharge, and only use her off-the-line acceleration sparingly. So when she does pass the Turing Test, she will possibly let me be her slave.