Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Automatically Cancelled Our Model Y Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally bought the Model S when it first came out. I owned it for several years and then bought the Model X when it came out and I still have it almost 6 years later. I went on Tesla's website yesterday to order a Model Y for my wife. I successfully placed the order so I was puzzled to see a cancellation email less than 10 minutes later.

I tried to reach someone at Tesla and didn't know who to call so I called my local store. (San Diego UTC location). I explained to Ariel the issue and she thought it was strange. She said that she would talk to her manager and get it figured out. I told them I'm happy to place the order again but I didn't want to have to pay another deposit. The website said the cars aren't available until April 2022 which I'm ok with.

No one ever called me back. But then later in the evening, I get a random text from a Tesla salesman asking why I cancelled the order and if he can help. I explain to him the frustrating situation and that I did NOT want to cancel and he can see that I called the San Diego UTC store immediately once I saw the cancellation email. He said he checked with corporate and that they can't refund me the $250. I told him, "I'm not asking for a refund. I'm asking you to put through the order that I put through". I even told him that I'm willing to pay another $250 deposit as long as both deposits go towards the car payment. when I take delivery.

He said Tesla is closed on Wednesdays. (HUH??? Really? That sems odd). But that he would check with corporate and see. Then he said he could possibly get me the same car earlier (possibly November or December) if I paid another deposit. I told him I am fine to wait or take it earlier. But what I am NOT OK with is paying a 2nd deposit and losing credit on one of them. This seems crazy.

Has anyone else had this happen? It's so frustrating. They can clearly see I'm not some nube. I've been driving Tesla's for almost 10 years now and loyal. I would think they would just quickly apologize, reinstate the original order and move on but their actions are very strange.

Does anyone know anyone at Tesla higher up that I can talk to about this. It's quite bizarre.

Last edited:
Contest the charge with your CC.

This is the LAST case option. I really want the car and never canceled the order. That's the issue here. I called my local store ASAP when I saw the cancelation email. I know I can dispute the charge but the issue here is how this happened and more importantly how Tesla is acting on this.

It's strange because they obviously have some process here (as broken as it is). They take the time and effort to hire someone to reach out to people that have cancelled to try to get them to change their minds and order. And here I am, a customer that placed the order and wants to get the car I ordered. I told them I'm flexible with the delivery date. So what is there to really think about?

FYI, the refund of my initial deposit for the Model 3 (back when it was $1000) took months and it came in the form of a check. It was not done in the form of an instant credit card refund. I'm not sure if your deposit is done the same way.

Also note if the store can't resolve it, you may be able to reach Tesla via chat. Follow the instructions to get the "contact us" button and do it during the posted hours. You may have to try different options in the menu to get an option to start a chat window.
Customer Support

Which on a 6 figure automobile is kind of chicken sh*t, IMHO....
Considering people were placing multiple orders in different configurations with the intention of purchasing only one of them (soonest EDD) and then canceling the others, you can sort of understand why they did. My guess is its to deter this kind of behavior.