Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,
my names is Mantas, I am a master student of Industrial Design at Eindhoven Technical University. I am doing research about autonomous vehicles, now focusing on Teslas' Autopilot experience - especially if enough feedback is given during the drive. I have driven Tesla myself and found that if the driver is not focused to road or information from dashboard - given feedback might be not enough to inform him/her when take over the control of the car is necessary.
I would like ask you to answer a few questions (really - it's two questions) and tell about your experience.
Thank you!

Form is here Tesla Autopilot experience

Hi there,
my names is Mantas, I am a master student of Industrial Design at Eindhoven Technical University. I am doing research about autonomous vehicles, now focusing on Teslas' Autopilot experience - especially if enough feedback is given during the drive. I have driven Tesla myself and found that if the driver is not focused to road or information from dashboard - given feedback might be not enough to inform him/her when take over the control of the car is necessary.
I would like ask you to answer a few questions (really - it's two questions) and tell about your experience.
Thank you!

Form is here Tesla Autopilot experience

Perhaps you could try contacting researchers at MIT who also study the behavior of Autopilot users: Tesla drivers can earn up to $1,000 by participating in a new MIT study

Did you test the latest version? Feedback to the driver is much improved in the latest version of the software (8.0).
Thanks, ironically I booked a test drive the same day software update 8.0 was released - just missed it. Also, my research is really more about new concepts of feedback instead of improving the existing ones. But I will look into what was changed anyway. Cheers.

Thanks, ironically I booked a test drive the same day software update 8.0 was released - just missed it. Also, my research is really more about new concepts of feedback instead of improving the existing ones. But I will look into what was changed anyway. Cheers.

I definitely recommend doing that, since the one main reason people criticise the Autopilot system is that it allows you to drive handsfree for long periods of time. Now with 8.0 the car will ask you at least every 3 minutes and sometimes (in more complex situations) more frequently.

Mantas,

I would sincerely recommend not to consider the status quo, but indeed the development path as such.

Version 8.1 is due mid December 2016, and further updates will follow soon after that.

To avoid your research being outdated by the time you publish or present the outcome you might prefer to focus on the convergence to perfection instead.

Just a thought.

BTW: Tesla does disseminate intermediate updates which do enhance performance and user interface which go largely unnoticed but do have a major impact on the long run.

All the best.