Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot free over the air autopilot trials

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I updated to 2018.28.1 about 1.5 weeks ago, but still haven't been offered a free trial of autopilot. I want to buy AEP and the money is in my checking account, but if I get a free trial I'd rather wait until that comes through. Is it a staggered rollout over a period of months?

So this morning I find via message on my screen that my 14 day trial has started. Coincidently I made the wifi connection with my car yesterday evening. Provided that AEP is as great as everyone who has it says, I will be buying at the end of the trial.

I got that message yesterday and was using it, but today it’s gone, no hint of EAP on my car!
So this morning I find via message on my screen that my 14 day trial has started. Coincidently I made the wifi connection with my car yesterday evening. Provided that AEP is as great as everyone who has it says, I will be buying at the end of the trial.

My 2017 S75 is in the body shop to replace a dented rear door for $15K so I won't be able to experience autopilot trial until Aug 29th. Summon appears really cool, especially to impress friends, but I have a major concern. Who is responsible when Summon causes an accident? It sounds like I'll be responsible for repair of my vehicle and the one it hit. I don't even want to think about Summon hitting a pedestrian. Is it correct to assume Tesla will not accept any responsibility? Think I'll first try it in an open field where it can't cause too much damage to itself and others. What are the Do's and Don'ts of Summon?

The answer to the FAQ regarding cost says that the new autopilot features will cost $6,000 if you already have FSD, I thought that when I purchased my 2017 Model S 70 and paid for FSD upfront, it would be free. Please clarify.

Link?

$6,000 is the cost to enable "Enhanced Auto Pilot" if your car has the _hardware_ but the original buyer didn't pay to enable the capability it at purchase.

This is for cars built October 2016 or later. It's known here as Autopilot 2.0 or 2.5 depending on the hardware revision. The original AutoPilot hardware, first added to cars in September 2014 is known as Autopilot 1.0.

More information in a Wikipedia article:
Tesla Autopilot - Wikipedia

My 2017 S75 is in the body shop to replace a dented rear door for $15K so I won't be able to experience autopilot trial until Aug 29th. Summon appears really cool, especially to impress friends, but I have a major concern. Who is responsible when Summon causes an accident? It sounds like I'll be responsible for repair of my vehicle and the one it hit. I don't even want to think about Summon hitting a pedestrian. Is it correct to assume Tesla will not accept any responsibility? Think I'll first try it in an open field where it can't cause too much damage to itself and others. What are the Do's and Don'ts of Summon?
If you really want an authoritative answer to "who's liable" you should consult your attorney of course, not anonymous strangers on the Internet. That said, of course it's you. Your liability is probably emphasized in the clickwrap you have to agree to in order to enable the feature. In my experience, the potential for harm or damage is pretty low, since it inches forward very gingerly and slowly and will cancel and come to a dead stop if so much as a leaf blows in front of one of the sensors (well that may be an exaggeration, but not by much).

Sure, try it somewhere nice and isolated until you're comfortable with it, but I think you'll soon see they've put sufficient safety rails around it. The one sort-of unsafe thing I ever experienced with it was when they first rolled it out, you could operate it with the fob, and I found I must often have been leaning on my fob in a way that made it activate. Fortunately this was always when I was home and the car plugged in, and the car won't move when plugged in, regardless, so all I got was error messages, but I suppose something could have gone awry if the car hadn't been plugged in. Anyway, I disabled the fob and just use Summon from the smartphone app now, and it's all good. I'm pretty sure the fob is disabled by default these days.

jgs, thanks for the great advice and your helpful insight. Of course, the question of who is responsible for an EAP/TACC accident is rhetorical. I was just trying to provoke a debate. Everyone should know the car owner is responsible. When test driving a P100 with auto pilot about 2+ years ago, I noticed it didn't detect the approach of 3 bicycle riders by giving them more room at side of road. Immediately, I grabbed the nearby wheel to provide safety space. That scare convinced me this product needs more refinement and I shouldn't buy it. However, summon appears really cool, but $6000 is a bit steep. Too bad there isn't a subscription service for 90 days. The novelty probably would wear off for me in that time period.

Yeah, Summon is absolutely a nice-to-have and not a must-have. I think you might change your tune about AP if you drove a few hundred miles with it and not just a single test drive, though. I have a couple reactions to the anecdote you say moved you to pass on AP — first, the intended use is for you to drive with hands on wheel (presumably you know this). For this reason, under ordinary circumstances you wouldn’t need to “grab the nearby wheel”, you’d just steer because you’d already have ahold of the wheel. Second, most drivers seem to agree that the sweet spots for AP are highway cruising and heavy commuting traffic. In the first of these, you’d never encounter cyclists. In the second, seldom, and besides you’d be moving slow.

I mean, de gustibus non disputandum est, so I’m not trying to say “you’re wrong!” But I am saying “if you have the chance to give it a longer trial, take it.” As it happens, I got it for “free” (early 2015 build, it was part of the tech package) but now that I’ve lived with it for three years and counting, I wouldn’t consider buying another car without the feature or equivalent.

Reactions: mongo
[QUOTE="...
This marketing strategy is basically a free cash inflow for them. An email costs nothing, the hardware is already on the cars so no cost there, and if they get one extra person to buy EAP it would have been worth it.[/QUOTE]
I thought purchasing EAP gave me extra cameras in my Model X.

@boonedocks, I concur this is not the right time to showcase a limpy EAP. Sudden braking occurring during autopilot
The other thread, well.. seeing as how it turned into a flame war, lost much of its value...

Now that we have a "glimpse" of the engineering version of V9 and still no signs of any EarlyAccess people getting their test version in August as "suggested" by Elon and now truly what are the odds of any real meaningful update by September '18...I am convinced it was just a ploy to try and fishnet some income to try and make Tesla profitable for their 3rd quarter knowing full well that V9 would NOTt be here for people to try out and purchase before September 30th arrives.

I am not an accountant and don't play one on TV so I really would like to know how much of the EAP income Tesla can claim as earned income since EAP is still only 40-50% of what it was sold as. Can Tesla only claim a small portion of the EAP sale or any at all for that matter as long as it is not anything close to what was sold and still prominently listed as a "Beta" product and not a "done" product? Any corporate accountants with actual knowledge about claiming received cash as earned before it is actually earned?

I am not an accountant and don't play one on TV so I really would like to know how much of the EAP income Tesla can claim as earned income since EAP is still only 40-50% of what it was sold as. Can Tesla only claim a small portion of the EAP sale or any at all for that matter as long as it is not anything close to what was sold and still prominently listed as a "Beta" product and not a "done" product? Any corporate accountants with actual knowledge about claiming received cash as earned before it is actually earned?

The line on the balance sheet is called deferred revenue (in the liabilities section) which offsets the cash received for sale of EAP/FSD. Tesla can claim revenue in proportion to the feature set delivered. 40% feature set -> 60% deferred, 40% realized income.