Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you like what the car does RIGHT NOW, buy it. Never believe any promises about what it’ll do in the future.
This is just stupid. They have fulfilled most of their predictions of what the cars would do in the future. At the same time they've provided a ton of extra, useful features that nobody ever promised or expected. Sentry mode is a good example, as is the whole dash cam thing in general. I suppose you avoid using these things because they weren't what you bought (if you bought earlier).

Unlike other manufacturers, over the air updates and a strong reliance on software mean that Tesla is constantly improving its cars. A Tesla will improve and is therefore fundamentally better than other makes of cars. Denying that because they haven't yet improved in the particular way you want is ridiculous. Advising others to be similarly short-sighted is the action of a bitter and reality-challenged individual.

There is no better car than a Tesla. If you delay buying one until it's exactly what you want, then you won't be driving a Tesla. That's just stupid.

Explicitly saying a person will get something, and then not giving them that thing when it is within your power to do so? That is lying.

Explicitly saying something will happen, and then that thing not happening when it is within your power to do so? Also lying.
You seem to be unable to distinguish between a plan and a promise. Plans change. Often, and sometimes quickly.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne and ABC2D
If I am remembering what Elon said correctly, the interesting thing about the start of the HW3 upgrades is that it means that there will be divergence between the software running on HW2.5 and that which is running on HW3 (for FSD). If that is correct then it bodes well for V10 functionality. It will be interesting to see and hopefully we will not have too much longer to wait.

If I am remembering what Elon said correctly, the interesting thing about the start of the HW3 upgrades is that it means that there will be divergence between the software running on HW2.5 and that which is running on HW3 (for FSD). If that is correct then it bodes well for V10 functionality. It will be interesting to see and hopefully we will not have too much longer to wait.

Depends on how much faith you put into what Elon spouts about future features and plans.

This is just stupid. They have fulfilled most of their predictions of what the cars would do in the future. At the same time they've provided a ton of extra, useful features that nobody ever promised or expected. Sentry mode is a good example, as is the whole dash cam thing in general. I suppose you avoid using these things because they weren't what you bought (if you bought earlier).

Unlike other manufacturers, over the air updates and a strong reliance on software mean that Tesla is constantly improving its cars. A Tesla will improve and is therefore fundamentally better than other makes of cars. Denying that because they haven't yet improved in the particular way you want is ridiculous. Advising others to be similarly short-sighted is the action of a bitter and reality-challenged individual.

There is no better car than a Tesla. If you delay buying one until it's exactly what you want, then you won't be driving a Tesla. That's just stupid.
Unless of course you were bitten by reality as a buyer of AP2 who was promised AP1 feature parity by end of 2016, which still hasnt happened yet (speed sign recognition is still sorely missing - and it might take a very long time until they find a way around Mobileyes computer vision patent on it).
AP2 owners had a 1.5 year downgrade and didnt get dashcam or sentry (with recording - not the red dot display). The
So as an AP2 owner (who's likely even going to have to wait beyond the AP2.5 to AP3 upgrades because Tesla still needs to figure out how to upgrade cameras and radar for AP2), I have to object to the "delivered more than promised" mantra.
Works for AP2.5, sure, but AP2 owners are still left in the dust and Tesla doesnt seem to care much. As Elon tweeted regarding FSD refunds when the price was lowered earlier this year. Refunds were considered only for Model 3 FSD preorders, not for AP2/2.5 orderers who had paid for it 2 years earlier and received no additional functionality.
Oh, and I never heard anything of the reimbursement they claimed they would provide.
Great cars, sure. My 2017 S90D was just valued exactly 50% for a tradein at ca. 28k miles and 2.5 years old. So no upgrade to X for me, the difference is just too much.

I think AP 2+ has a form of speed limit sign recognition, it's just processed in Tesla servers and delayed by map updates instead of real time.

Anyone near northern Virginia, try driving north on I-95 just south of I-495. There are 65 MPH signs on the left for the express way, and 55 MPH signs on the right. Without fail, my speed limit symbol (incorrectly) switches to 65 whenever I pass a sign on the left, and switches back when I pass a sign on the right.

The only way Tesla would have map data that incorrectly picks up the speed signs on the left would be if they're deriving it from car footage.

Likely meaningless, but for months I’ve been unable to schedule a service request if the “What do you need done?” section included the word “HW3” ... today, my request went through.

EDIT:

Confirmation text followed-up with:

Please wait until you receive a notification that your vehicle is ready for the HW3 upgrade. It is rolling out, yes, but you must wait until you are notified that your vehicle is ready. Currently, the features are the same regardless of the hardware - you are not missing any features without the updated hardware, as full self driving is still not released.

Last edited:
I wonder if the start of the HW3 rollout and the soon to be released V10 is a coincidence or if it suggests that Tesla is closer to releasing FSD features. I am guessing FSD features will come later in subsequent V10 updates, like maybe V10.1 or V10.2.

Enhanced Summon is probably NN-intensive enough to warrant Tesla making a HW3 version separate from an HW2.5 version. It could convince a few EAP owners to upgrade to FSD if it makes Enhanced Summon drive faster.

Reactions: diplomat33
Enhanced Summon is probably NN-intensive enough to warrant Tesla making a HW3 version separate from an HW2.5 version. It could convince a few EAP owners to upgrade to FSD if it makes Enhanced Summon drive faster.

If so, I hope for a careless Elon tweet where he impulsively agrees to upgrade all EAP owners to HW3, so that they can get decent Enhanced Summon quality.

Personally, I think if they are going to make it two tiers, they should come up with another name for the HW2.5 Summon. Slow Summon?

Unless of course you were bitten by reality as a buyer of AP2 who was promised AP1 feature parity by end of 2016, which still hasnt happened yet (speed sign recognition is still sorely missing - and it might take a very long time until they find a way around Mobileyes computer vision patent on it).
AP2 owners had a 1.5 year downgrade and didnt get dashcam or sentry (with recording - not the red dot display). The
So as an AP2 owner (who's likely even going to have to wait beyond the AP2.5 to AP3 upgrades because Tesla still needs to figure out how to upgrade cameras and radar for AP2), I have to object to the "delivered more than promised" mantra.
Works for AP2.5, sure, but AP2 owners are still left in the dust and Tesla doesnt seem to care much. As Elon tweeted regarding FSD refunds when the price was lowered earlier this year. Refunds were considered only for Model 3 FSD preorders, not for AP2/2.5 orderers who had paid for it 2 years earlier and received no additional functionality.
Oh, and I never heard anything of the reimbursement they claimed they would provide.
Great cars, sure. My 2017 S90D was just valued exactly 50% for a tradein at ca. 28k miles and 2.5 years old. So no upgrade to X for me, the difference is just too much.
Not to mention the AP1 features that were never delivered: Summon meeting you at the curb, on-ramp-to-off-ramp autopilot. These features were originally released in October 2015, and are still in beta. They haven't been updated in years.

So I have to agree: buy based on what the system does today. In a few years all of you AP2.5 owners will be complaining about not being upgraded to the needed AP5 hardware needed for FSD.