Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just dropped off my Model X P100D (HW2.0 & MCU1) for HW3.0 retrofit.

Very excited as my AP2.0 computer has been “dead” since July.

Will update with how it goes!
Keep us updated. Yours would be the first known HW2 upgrade to HW3 done by Tesla. Many others have tried but had their appointments cancelled.

Last edited:

Wow, first HW2.0. So we can put all these discussions about refunds for HW2.0 owners to rest. Like to know if they change camera's, radar or even MCU. What other benefits do you get like Sentry Mode with recording?

Yeah, you’re definitely going to need to give us more info on this! I don’t mean to be rude, but you’re sure you have AP2.0? Also, you’re sure that they’re upgrading you to 3.0? If “yes, absolutely” to both, we need to know what service center is actually doing this. Also, we’d like to see a copy of the work order once you have it.

I just today talked to my service center about this upgrade (prior to seeing your post) and they said they haven’t heard anything about it being done. Granted, they’ve also told me that they sometimes find out about this stuff when customers tell them about it so that doesn’t mean too much.

So how many of your Model X vehicles have MCU1+AP2?

If you have more of them have they scheduled those as well? Or just the broken one?

If you have more AP2 vehicles with FSD you should draw a little tiny dot on all the cameras to see if they replace them. :p

So I was hoping to update with good news, but unfortunately it seems like bad news.

I received this text close to 6pm from the Service Center.

"Hello Neil, this is Yvette from Tesla. I am reaching out to you regarding your vehicle. We attempted to install the FSD computer, however, it does not match the connectors to the car computer module. We do recommend replacing the module [Faulty Driver Assistance Module]. And once the FSD computer arrives that is configured to your vehicle we can install it. At the moment, we don't have an ETA on the FSD computer will be released to your vehicle configuration."

Keep us updated. Yours would be the first known HW2 upgrade to HW3 done by Tesla. Many others have tried but had their appointments cancelled.
Looks like it's still not possible.
Will they have to change the cameras too?
I hope not, but unfortunately the data supports no conclusions at this time.
Wow, first HW2.0. So we can put all these discussions about refunds for HW2.0 owners to rest. Like to know if they change camera's, radar or even MCU. What other benefits do you get like Sentry Mode with recording?
I was hoping for Sentry/Dashcam w/USB capabilities, but alas, no confirmation yet.
Did they give you a time estimate on when you'd get the vehicle back? Also, which service center?
Their time estimate was 4 days, but they gave up after 5 hours it seems.
heck yeah what state you live in?
SoCal - Tesla Service Santa Monica/West LA on Santa Monica Blvd.
oooh, is this the first AP2.0 retrofit to 3.0?
It would've been
Yeah, you’re definitely going to need to give us more info on this! I don’t mean to be rude, but you’re sure you have AP2.0? Also, you’re sure that they’re upgrading you to 3.0? If “yes, absolutely” to both, we need to know what service center is actually doing this. Also, we’d like to see a copy of the work order once you have it.

I just today talked to my service center about this upgrade (prior to seeing your post) and they said they haven’t heard anything about it being done. Granted, they’ve also told me that they sometimes find out about this stuff when customers tell them about it so that doesn’t mean too much.

No offense taken. Yes, my XP100D w/VIN 055844 is AP2.0 and MCU1. I have had a faulty AP Module since Sentry Mode (w/o USB) killed my AP Computer and 12V Battery back in July/Aug 2019. So ever since then I've had "Cruise Control Unavailable" and no AP whatsoever.

So how many of your Model X vehicles have MCU1+AP2?
If you have more of them have they scheduled those as well? Or just the broken one?
If you have more AP2 vehicles with FSD you should draw a little tiny dot on all the cameras to see if they replace them. :p

4/6 of my Xes are AP2.0+MCU1 (1/6 has AP1 and 1/6 (also AP1) was totaled earlier in 2019). Sadly my X P100D is the only one with the broken AP2.0 Module.

The Service center wants $1681+tax to replace the AP2.0 Module. This is ridiculous, considering that the vehicle was within warranty during the Sentry Mode failure, and it will be replaced with AP3.0 (supposedly within 3 months), which I paid for pre-delivery.

Let's see what happens when I chat with service tomorrow.

Too bad. Guess 2.0 people are still in limbo for now. Good luck with service. I agree that it’s ridiculous that they want you to pay for the repair when the car is still under warranty.

So your car is currently no longer under warranty? Did you report the problem while you were still under warranty?
This also makes me wonder if HW3 come with any warranty...?

So I bought an inventory car, which had 8100 mi on it back in 2017.

When I reported the issue, I was at 55-56k miles. Unfortunately, my "Warranty Status" in their system was showing that I took delivery at about 3000 mi, so it was showing as "out of warranty".

Since I couldn't get a loaner, and couldn't survive on uber credits for as long as they needed to update their system, I was over 58k miles when the issue was obvious.

Going to the service center shortly to figure out what's going on.

When I reported the issue, I was at 55-56k miles. Unfortunately, my "Warranty Status" in their system was showing that I took delivery at about 3000 mi, so it was showing as "out of warranty".

Since I couldn't get a loaner, and couldn't survive on uber credits for as long as they needed to update their system, I was over 58k miles when the issue was obvious.

Just get a 2.0 APE computer off ebay. I'll even help you install it and deploy firmware to it. Total price is probably south of $400

Do you have the original paperwork/purchase agreement? Does it say 8100 mi or 3000 mi?

Do you have the original paperwork/purchase agreement? Does it say 8100 mi or 3000 mi?
The original paperwork said 8100mi.

They have since corrected it in their system, but after a long discussion with them today, the following is what they've said.

There is no way to look back on the logs (only 45 days are kept), to find out if the vehicle was under warranty when the DAS Module failed.

The DAS Module has undergone an internal failure and therefore its not repairable. Replacement at Tesla is over $1600.

Unfortunately, there is no way to goodwill the part.

The Service Advisor is escalating to Engineering, hoping to find out an ETA on new cabling/harness, as the connectors are different.

I have my car back (still with my faulty AP2.0 computer). I'm not holding my breath on the new wiring harness, but lets see what happens.

I asked service about buying my own AP2.0 computer and having them install it. She said that wouldn't be possible, as if the computer failed, Autopilot Liability would be on them. I'm calling bs on this, as the AP module has failed anyway. But they may just not want to touch it.

Just get a 2.0 APE computer off ebay. I'll even help you install it and deploy firmware to it. Total price is probably south of $400

My only thing is this, if I do this, would this void my possibility of getting the AP HW3.0 Retrofit? If I can get some confirmation from Tesla in writing that this wouldn't be affected, then I'm totally in for this.

You’re one step closer to getting your AP3 upgrade before us AP2.0 losers! A post nobody asked for: How I'd handle the FSD problem (features, HW upgrades) for early adopters

Well, I still have an appt for this Friday, Jan 10 for my HW3 upgrade. Although I fully expect the SC to cancel it at the last minute since I made the appointment myself. But who knows, maybe my VIN is ready for the upgrade and they will honor my appt. I would pleasantly shocked if I do get the upgrade this soon.