Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
136 pages and growing. I hadn’t glanced at this thread in a long time and notice recent posts are similar to ones weeks or months ago. Someone schedules an appointment sure they will get the HW3 upgrade and people here excitedly bite: Really, you have 2.0 and you are getting HW3??!! Give us all the details!!! This is great!!!

In the interests of lowering the blood pressures of all of us, please don’t post about any more scheduled/alleged/possible/promised/sure thing upgrades. Wait until it is actually completed and then give us the great news. Most of understand that Tesla techs typically don’t have very good information and may mislead you with empty promises. Some of them will admit that they like us rely on Elon’s tweets. Sad, but true.

So I was hoping to update with good news, but unfortunately it seems like bad news.

I received this text close to 6pm from the Service Center.

"Hello Neil, this is Yvette from Tesla. I am reaching out to you regarding your vehicle. We attempted to install the FSD computer, however, it does not match the connectors to the car computer module. We do recommend replacing the module [Faulty Driver Assistance Module]. And once the FSD computer arrives that is configured to your vehicle we can install it. At the moment, we don't have an ETA on the FSD computer will be released to your vehicle configuration."

Wow. Sounds like it was a complete surprise to them that there are different AP computers.

Reactions: Jedi2155 and OPRCE
Well, I still have an appt for this Friday, Jan 10 for my HW3 upgrade. Although I fully expect the SC to cancel it at the last minute since I made the appointment myself. But who knows, maybe my VIN is ready for the upgrade and they will honor my appt. I would pleasantly shocked if I do get the upgrade this soon.
Unless you are minutes from your Service Center I would certainly call and verify before wasting hours of commute time....

Good advice. I am 1.5 hours away from the nearest SC. Thanks.

Having been a Model S owner (3rd now) since 2015 I have seen the SC response / availability totally fall apart from my first visit. I have now been waiting over as week and a 1/2 for my service center to even get simple parts in stock to do a repair. A piece of tire was thrown up and literally slapped my front bumper and knocked two of the sensors out. Once they receive them THEN they will schedule me....who knows how long that will take. (Car is covered head to toe with PPF so it didn’t; even leave a mark)

9D7DCC66-DCE3-46D9-979E-C5FDBE579A41.jpeg
A1F78E7D-C263-4903-A0B1-C6C10259A64D.png

Well, I still have an appt for this Friday, Jan 10 for my HW3 upgrade. Although I fully expect the SC to cancel it at the last minute since I made the appointment myself. But who knows, maybe my VIN is ready for the upgrade and they will honor my appt. I would pleasantly shocked if I do get the upgrade this soon.
I hope for your sake that you do get the upgrade but as you mentioned, I fully expect they will cancel at the last minute. BUT... at least there's evidence now that upgrades are starting to happen!

Reactions: diplomat33
136 pages and growing. I hadn’t glanced at this thread in a long time and notice recent posts are similar to ones weeks or months ago. Someone schedules an appointment sure they will get the HW3 upgrade and people here excitedly bite: Really, you have 2.0 and you are getting HW3??!! Give us all the details!!! This is great!!!

When would be a good time to start attempting to get a HW4 beta-test retrofit? Should I book an appointment now?

No chance. I don't think Tesla has even finished designing the HW4 chip yet. They are nowhere near ready for retrofits at this point. Get the HW3 upgrade first.
I booked an HW4 beta upgrade appointment just in case, I'll report back here if they cancel it but for now (25 second after making it) they haven't so things are looking good so far!!!!!oneone!!!!

Happy customer! Great service as always from Devon, PA service center :). Thanks to the service team.

I have 2018 Model S 100 D with VIN 24....., FSD. I bought it early this year as new inventory. After latest 50.7 software upgrade, I had an issue with satellite map view being not available even though I had Premium connectivity.
I scheduled mobile appointment and also inquired about HW 3 upgrade. My appointment was changed to service center by mobile team and received HW 3 upgrade today. Dropped of at 10:30 am,I was surprised it was done by 3 pm, picked up at 5. Had a loaner for a short period. After calibration, I am able to see traffic lights, stop signs and cones. Brief driving on auto pilot on local roads was impressive. Can't wait to test it on highway

Ok, I can’t keep the ginormous secret any longer. I received the HW3 upgrade for my 2.0 Model S a week ago. I haven’t said anything because I was sworn to secrecy by Tesla. Fortunately they probably can’t track me through this website so they will never know.

I realize some of you have been waiting for over three years for any FSD features but what the heck. Some of us get the elevator while others get the shaft. Must be really dark down there?

As I expected, my appt was cancelled. I got the following message from the SC:

"Hi James. This is Tesla Service. Unfortunately, we do not have your hardware 3 computer in yet. Our engineering team is shipping them by VIN number and we have not received the one allocated to your vehicle yet. They are shipping them based on vehicle location and configuration (must have FSD). If you would like to check back with us in three to four weeks, we would be happy to check again to see if it has arrived. As long as you do not have any other concerns, we will go ahead and cancel this service appointment. Thank you."