Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I can’t keep the ginormous secret any longer. I received the HW3 upgrade for my 2.0 Model S a week ago. I haven’t said anything because I was sworn to secrecy by Tesla. Fortunately they probably can’t track me through this website so they will never know.

I realize some of you have been waiting for over three years for any FSD features but what the heck. Some of us get the elevator while others get the shaft. Must be really dark down there?

Proof??

Just as important as when the first AP2.0 to AP3.0 happens, is when the first MCU1-fitted S or X gets AP3.0. To my knowledge, that still has yet to happen. I would like to know if Tesla even has an ETA on that.

I'm waiting to hear likewise. All I've heard is conjecture. Supposedly, a guy in Canada had the work done, but it's supposed to be kept quiet. There's no timeline other than 2-3 months Tesla mentioned after the rollout begins (so, I think about another month or 2). I'm not hearing anything further which only raises more questions than answers. It's unclear what work would need to be done to bring AP3.0 up to fully operational - does it require just the AP unit, or the suite of sensors/cameras upgraded, does it also need a new MCU?

I'm hoping for the whole shabang, but not holding my breath to get any of it before my lease is up next year.

Reactions: Richard34212
I'm waiting to hear likewise. All I've heard is conjecture. Supposedly, a guy in Canada had the work done, but it's supposed to be kept quiet. There's no timeline other than 2-3 months Tesla mentioned after the rollout begins (so, I think about another month or 2). I'm not hearing anything further which only raises more questions than answers. It's unclear what work would need to be done to bring AP3.0 up to fully operational - does it require just the AP unit, or the suite of sensors/cameras upgraded, does it also need a new MCU?

I'm hoping for the whole shabang, but not holding my breath to get any of it before my lease is up next year.
When I say I LOVE MY CAR!!
I really mean it. The new models S's can't compare on the bling that the dark metallic blue, with chrome gives you.
With all that said, I've given up on trying to get the sluggish, non responsive browser to work.
Now, the wifi refuses to connect and the car won't see the OTA updates as they are offered. Yes, I have contacted service for help and they did manage to get the browser to work for a few moments - Yea! The wifi, not so much
The car is 5 years old and has never had an issue except for the 12v battery and air bag replacements.
I have never had a drive unit fault, a screen turn yellow, or the MCU1 lock up. Heck, even my range is within 2 miles of when new, 265.
No abnormal tire wear or anything!
I am sure it has led a charmed life and rather sit and wait for inevitable to fail or 'GASP', have my MCU replaced, we decided to trade it in for the new LR+ model S. I will say, we were rather surprised that the car's resale value was so low. Far more that I had thought it would be.
I hope all of you manage to get the newer MCU and the newer lease on the car's life, as for me, I'm getting too old to wait that long

Can someone please tell me what the MCU has to do with FSD? Elon say it has nothing to do with FSD.

It's unclear right now. Nothing has been stated by Tesla directly, it may be an issue over the cameras and sensor arrays, but who knows whether there may be some bottleneck occurring with the MCU. Until upgrades start happening it'll all be speculative.

Can someone please tell me what the MCU has to do with FSD? Elon say it has nothing to do with FSD.

I've had a Tesla representative tell me, in so many words, that the MCU has nothing to do with the AP. However, I've yet to hear /read about any MCU1 S or X getting the AP3.0 retrofit, which I find odd. So the question is, why are they only retrofitting the MCU2 cars first, especially when there are customers that have purchased the FSD as long as three years ago?

I have an MCU1 AP2.5 S and had work done in the SC last week, but they still say my car isn't tagged for it yet.

I would bet these happen together since all AP2 cars are also MCU1 cars

...but...

there are AP2.5 cars with MCU1 as well, by my understanding of it. So, when one of those cars gets updated, it'll be interesting to see what work has to be done. Odds are, however, the timing will probably be close to the rest of the AP2 cars I would imagine.

Musk should just agree to refund (with 5% interest*) the money that people paid for FSD before he changed the definition of FSD from "It can pick up your kids by itself" to "Feature-complete Level 2 BETA feature that might work some of the time." Musk was wrong when he said those early cars had all the necessary hardware, and it seems more and more questionable whether they can be upgraded to the necessary hardware. And I don't believe that even the 2020 cars have sufficient hardware to drive around the city without a person in the driver's seat.

* 5% is the interest Tesla pays me on my solar bonds from the former Solar City. (Ten-year unsecured, non-negotiable bonds, not redeemable before maturity.) I think it's a reasonable amount to pay for the money people gave Tesla under the false premise that their cars had all the hardware needed for full autonomy.

And Tesla should break out EAP from FSD so that people can get EAP, which is real and exists, without having to pay for FSD, which might not exist for another decade.

AFAIK, the MCU handles the mapping portion of the navigate-on-autopilot functionality, deciding whether to take exits and similar. Also, the MCU handles downloading firmware updates and pushing them to the AP computer. Both of those things will likely require at least some minor code changes on the MCU side of things.

Epic thread revival, and TL;DR all 138 pages. But, has anybody been successful in viewing a camera feed via tapping into some form of a bus in a Tesla? If someone has, please PM me!
If so can you put a digital rear view mirror in the Cybertruck.

This one has some great features:

Amazon title: RYDEEN TOMBO 360X Surround View 4K Dash Camera 10-inch Touchscreen Frameless Rearview Mirror with TFT Monitor w/Auto Brightness Day/Night, Backup Video-in, Backup Camera Included

If so can you put a digital rear view mirror in the Cybertruck.

This one has some great features:

Amazon title: RYDEEN TOMBO 360X Surround View 4K Dash Camera 10-inch Touchscreen Frameless Rearview Mirror with TFT Monitor w/Auto Brightness Day/Night, Backup Video-in, Backup Camera Included
This is exactly why I'm asking. I'm due to get my CT in the next week or two, and I'd like to explore putting in a screen mirror replacement.

Reactions: scottf200