Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He made a point of talking about the sensors and cameras on HW 2.5 not needing to be upgraded. He didn’t say anything about HW 2.0. Read the tweet.
I see what you mean. I was addressing the rumors that AP2 cars would never get a computer upgrade at all.

Guess it just means that they will upgrade the AP3 computer, not the sensors. But they are still getting the HW3 computer upgrade. My AP2 MX has red light warnings in the release notes so I think the cars are capable of doing advanced features even without the different cameras. There's no way Tesla is going to upgrade anything but the computer, so I guess we'll have to see how this plays out at the end.

Reactions: jayman
He made a point of talking about the sensors and cameras on HW 2.5 not needing to be upgraded. He didn’t say anything about HW 2.0. Read the tweet.

Translation: The have no idea whether a HW2 to HW3 retrofit will be viable without replacing the cameras, so the HW2 upgrades will be delayed until they're close enough to achieving full self driving that they know the answer to that question. :)

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Yeah I replied moments after he posted that “what about AP2.0” and zero response. In fact half the comments are from people asking about AP2.0. I bet he doesn’t respond at all, leaving they a lingering mystery...=\

Honestly, all the cameras probably don’t need to be color IF color is even needed. They could probably get by with just replacing the trifocal, which is a pretty quick job. I honestly think the radar would be fairly trivial, just needs a different wiring harness pulled through existing wiring hole. Might need to make it marginally larger to fit double wire. Couple hours tops from start to finish to bring an AP2 car up to a reasonable facsimile of AP2.5 but who knows. His silence on it is not filling me with hope.

Screenshot of tweet:

20190329_164101.jpg

Reactions: diplomat33
I know, I know...
However, if you break it down to separate statements:
1. Everyone who purchased FSD will get computer upgrade for free.
2. This is the only change between 2.5 and 3.0.

We know, and he knows that people with 2.0 purchased FSD.

Statement 2 does not negate statement 1 and does not say that AP2.0 will not get the FSD computer. It may be that AP2.0 upgrades require more changes than just the computer, but FSD purchasers will get the upgrade. This is in line with previous statements about upgrading and also the lack of need to hold off for 3.0 instead of 2.5.

Or I'm wrong, but I hope not.

That tweet makes me feel abandoned.
Welcome to the wild and wacky world of Tesla. I remember years ago I was assured that AP1 would get on and off ramp and be able to summon in more than a straight line. There's even a tweet around the time of AP1 to AP2 about AP1 gaining new and cool functionality. I'd imagine in a few more months this AP2, AP2.5 AP3, and whatever comes next is going to be a hot mess for employees trying to give answers to customers when there probably won't be a straight answer. The confusion was there 4 years ago when there were fewer of us owners, imagine how it will be with many more cars and owners are out there.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Welcome to the wild and wacky world of Tesla. I remember years ago I was assured that AP1 would get on and off ramp and be able to summon in more than a straight line.

Just wait. In a few months, Tesla is going to have a metric crapton of used HW2 and HW2.5 boards, and absolutely nothing useful to do with them. Then, they'll have a choice: make all the HW1 users happy with a $5 adapter board and a tweaked single-camera summon mode on HW2.5 or find a way to dispose of all that hardware without the recycling gestapo making their lives miserable. I think we all know what they'll choose.

So how much do you suppose they'll get for all that silicon on the scrap market? :D :D :D

Just wait. In a few months, Tesla is going to have a metric crapton of used HW2 and HW2.5 boards, and absolutely nothing useful to do with them. Then, they'll have a choice: make all the HW1 users happy with a $5 adapter board and a tweaked single-camera summon mode on HW2.5 or find a way to dispose of all that hardware without the recycling gestapo making their lives miserable. I think we all know what they'll choose.

So how much do you suppose they'll get for all that silicon on the scrap market? :D :D :D

HW2 and HW2.5 boards would be extremely useful to high schools, and colleges.

They're NVidia Drive PX2 boards and they can run NVidia software.

Recycling them or disposing of them would be an absolute waste.

• Love
Reactions: PaulJohn and mongo
That tweet makes me feel abandoned.

How so?

If you have FSD then you'll get the FSD computer.

If you don't then you don't.

It seems pretty clear cut to me even without the follow up confirmation from Elon regarding HW2.

Now I do think Tesla should clarify the HW2 situation in terms of what the upgrade will consist of. The big unknown when it comes to HW2 is whether it will undergo an entire upgrade to have the same exact sensor suite, radar, wiring as a HW2.5 vehicle. So that all FSD vehicles are identical in terms of all of that.

Reactions: OPRCE
I know, I know...
However, if you break it down to separate statements:
1. Everyone who purchased FSD will get computer upgrade for free.
2. This is the only change between 2.5 and 3.0.

We know, and he knows that people with 2.0 purchased FSD.

Statement 2 does not negate statement 1 and does not say that AP2.0 will not get the FSD computer. It may be that AP2.0 upgrades require more changes than just the computer, but FSD purchasers will get the upgrade. This is in line with previous statements about upgrading and also the lack of need to hold off for 3.0 instead of 2.5.

Or I'm wrong, but I hope not.

I agree wholeheartedly that in a fair world, those are two very distinct statements and I'm just the crazy guy on the corner shouting about how the sky is falling and the end is nigh. I'm just sick of him acting like us AP2.0 owners are f-ing Voldemort and opting to never mention us (in the hopes that we go away?) At this point I'd be quite happy to sue them to get some acknowledgement.

I agree wholeheartedly that in a fair world, those are two very distinct statements and I'm just the crazy guy on the corner shouting about how the sky is falling and the end is nigh. I'm just sick of him acting like us AP2.0 owners are f-ing Voldemort and opting to never mention us (in the hopes that we go away?) At this point I'd be quite happy to sue them to get some acknowledgement.

Now just a minute here.

Elon did give you guys some acknowledgement in promising sentry mode to all HW2+ vehicles.

Oh, wait.. Crap!!!

Bad example.

What about dog mode?

Oh, wait.. Crap!!!

Most of you still don't have it.

Now, quick, someone ask him for a timeline... lol
From Elon:
Retrofits will start when our software is able to take meaningful advantage of the Tesla FSD computer, which is an order of magnitude more capable. For now, it’s slightly disadvantageous to have Tesla FSD computer, as our software is more refined for HW2.

So in other words..... nobody knows o_O

Reactions: pilotSteve