Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please report me if you believe so. It would be great if the mods closed my account. I waste far too much time in these threads... and none of it makes a bit of difference to Tesla or what we ultimately get out of our cars.

That wasn’t intended as censure. Just an opinion. Please feel free to keep wasting time with the rest of us.

Well yeah but that's a given. Hardware never keeps up with software. We see that with Apple computers, Windows computers and smart phones. And I too, I want the AP3 chip so that I can be at the beginning of the curve and get more features.

The difference is, when your computer gets too slow, you don't have to replace the entire office building. You're just buying a computer. With an embedded system like this, you're at the mercy of the company that builds the car to determine whether you can replace only the computer or something that costs 1000x as much as the computer.

If Tesla reneges on their promise to deliver full self driving on a $120k car over them not wanting to spend a few hundred bucks to upgrade a cheap piece of electronics, it's going to take a lot more than a few thousand dollar rebate to keep me from making it my life's mission to sue them into bankruptcy. And I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

No, what it looks more like is a test of "neoFSD" [as redefined with the minimal feature-set "coming in 2019"] on HW2.5, so that the old boards can be recycled into new vehicles ordered after 1st March. Thereafter those new customers can be charged full price for the upgrade if wanting HW3.

It would be illegal to sell used parts as new. They can certainly be used as repair parts, of course.

I think it is likely that they're trying to figure out whether they can delivery the existing feature set on non-HW3 hardware to put off the upgrade longer and let them use up their existing stockpile of HW2.5 boards.

According to my count the free HW3 upgrade for FSD buyers has been confirmed by Elon/Tesla 4 times now including today's tweet.

The most significant confirmation happened at the quarterly webcast. Even if someone doubts Elon's tweet can be counted as official, the quarterly webcast surely is.

Reactions: diplomat33
Just a heads up:

Per Elon on Twitter regarding EAP/ FSD pricing:

In retrospect, lower price shouldn’t have been offered. Was done so because some simply couldn’t afford it. Prices revert to normal on Monday.

Invite to Early Access Program still valid for early adopters

FSD gets you free HW3 upgrade

No guarantee of that.

Elon just Tweet confirmed that it would.

Was also stated in conference call:
FSD_upgrade.PNG

Elon just Tweet confirmed that it would.

Was also stated in conference call:
View attachment 385684
Yes - you will get HW3 but, I don't see an installation deadline. What if HW4 is announced.
It has been well established that Tesla’s current promise for FSD buyers is that they will get HW3, with that I would agree with.
No commitment to when....hopefully, before they start with HW4. Being a daughterboard with a processor, a faster CPU and more RAM may always be right around the corner.
;)

I am hopeful for the HW3 upgrade as well. The real issue is, that all stems from earnings call that start off with "opinions and not held accountable" and Elon's tweets (and most of us know for a fact just how much of a Tesla commitment those are) Just to name the most current one, All EAP cars will get Sentry Mode. hmmmmm I believe that most people believe EAP means exactly that EAP and NOT cars with HW2.5 and above. If the CET's promise is for all EAP cars then where is my Sentry Mode?

Elon Musk on Twitter

HWX will delivered whenever Tesla gets their approach for autonomy working properly on it.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's 3.

The next official HW release would be 3, regardless of the number on internal releases...
As long as people don't get the current HW3, the upgrade path should remain in play.

(unless HW3 is a cost savings on HW2, then Tesla might switch production even if it doesn't do full FSD However, current owners would then want to defer their upgrade and new car/ FSD buyers would need/ get the promise for a bump to HW4 )

The AP3 chip is purportedly 10x faster than the AP2 chip. So I think having the AP3 chip would be enough of a big upgrade to keep our cars compatible with FSD when it is released even if there is a AP4 coming afterwards.

Reactions: CamDLux