Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TACC is great and definitely a safety feature, though it has recently regressed in that now it thinks the speed limit (on the highway) drops to 25mph almost every time I pass an exit and slams on the brakes, which is unsafe. So let's say that in 2018.50.x TACC is a net win on safety, and in 2019.x so far it seems like a step back.

But Autosteer is a different matter. I think there is one and only one case in which it improves safety, and that is if the driver loses consciousness involuntarily, like a heart attack or something. In this case it has a good chance of bringing the car to a safe stop once it no longer gets steering wheel torque.

In every other case, I believe it reduces safety, even when the driver is alert and paying attention. I use it a lot less now than I used to because I have come to this conclusion. Because it gives people a false sense of security it makes people more likely to quit paying attention, maybe check that text message that just came in, or worse to get in the car and drive when they shouldn't, because they're tired or maybe a bit tipsy. This makes crashes more likely, not less.

Until they are at least L3 (or very very reliable L2), lane keeping systems are unsafe IMO unless they include a very robust driver attention monitoring system. The more mild steering assist and lane departure warning systems are fine.

If nothing else, activating Autosteer and especially NOA seems to make TACC jumpier and more prone to phantom braking, which is why I don't use Autosteer much these days. Tesla, give me rock solid and smooth TACC without phantom braking please before you waste time chasing FSD.

I disagree. I find autosteer useful in stop and go traffic and on long trips. On long trips I do find myself using a mix of full manual control, TACC, and, for a bit of a rest, AP. AP is great when I find myself wandering a bit. This is especially true where lanes have been narrowed to add an additional lane.

Would the Prius have crashed if AP hadn't been on? Oh, yeah, no AP. The driver of the X had reported that intersection as causing AP problems something like 7 times. If I had an intersection with a known issue I would be hyper alert. I like AP but I'm not going to get on my cell phone or watch a movie, etc. while it is controlling the car. Do you think people haven't crashed on adaptive cruise control? AP is just adaptive cruise control with lane keep assist. OK, NoA is different but I think you get the idea.

If AP didn't exist, the person doesn't die.

I really don’t know why we are going on and on about this when a message clearly states with every activation Be prepared to take over at any time and keep your hands on the wheel

It’s simple; if you ignore the message, you’re at fault.

Just because a gun has a safety, doesn’t mean you should make it common practice to stare in the barrel every time you pick it up.
Autopilot has killed nobody, it has only allowed people to be put in situations in which they failed to prepare themselves. Responsible people know once they see one instance of doubt (the activation message) that it is not a reliance feature but an assistance feature.

Odds are the list of L2 fatalities is much higher.

Everyone seems to forget that people were doing stupid things with L2 vehicles well before Tesla ever introduced Autopilot.

It's funny how people remember the YouTube video of WK057 getting in the backseat of his AP1 Tesla just after the release of Autopilot, but they seem to forget that he was motivated by a video made of a guy in an Infiniti (I believe) doing the same thing that was posted WELL before Autopilot.

The coke can trick to defeat the steering wheel torque sensor also existed before.

No one knows how many people have done stupid things in L2 cars since no one other that Tesla keeps track.

As to whether AP actually was the case of the accident? My count is 1 because I could see it being a contributing factor in the Mountain View crash. But, I'd also say the bad luck of the barrier not being reset was also a major contributing factor. But, if AP didn't exist he'd probably still be alive so I can see it being one.

The one in China I'd say is the drivers fault as he should have been paying attention.

The one Florida is also the fault of the driver. That accident could have easily occurred under adaptive cruise control with a distracted driver. It's not like people who text don't crash all the time.

Reactions: daktari and croman
Odds are the list of L2 fatalities is much higher.

Everyone seems to forget that people were doing stupid things with L2 vehicles well before Tesla ever introduced Autopilot.

It's funny how people remember the YouTube video of WK057 getting in the backseat of his AP1 Tesla just after the release of Autopilot, but they seem to forget that he was motivated by a video made of a guy in an Infiniti (I believe) doing the same thing that was posted WELL before Autopilot.

The coke can trick to defeat the steering wheel torque sensor also existed before.

No one knows how many people have done stupid things in L2 cars since no one other that Tesla keeps track.

As to whether AP actually was the case of the accident? My count is 1 because I could see it being a contributing factor in the Mountain View crash. But, I'd also say the bad luck of the barrier not being reset was also a major contributing factor. But, if AP didn't exist he'd probably still be alive so I can see it being one.

The one in China I'd say is the drivers fault as he should have been paying attention.

The one Florida is also the fault of the driver. That accident could have easily occurred under adaptive cruise control with a distracted driver. It's not like people who text don't crash all the time.
It doesn’t help that the NTSB doesn’t seem to care to investigate any other L2 ADAS system implicated in accidents, or even vehicles with AEB systems that didn’t work, unless it’s a Tesla. Oh well. The silver lining is that Tesla has always reacted to such scrutiny by improving their capabilities. That’s to everyone else’s loss.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
It doesn’t help that the NTSB doesn’t seem to care to investigate any other L2 ADAS system implicated in accidents, or even vehicles with AEB systems that didn’t work, unless it’s a Tesla. Oh well. The silver lining is that Tesla has always reacted to such scrutiny by improving their capabilities. That’s to everyone else’s loss.

They're currently investigating the AEB system on the Nissan Rogue to to severe false braking.
NHTSA Investigates 675,000 Nissan Rogue Units Due To Erratic AEB

I’m glad they are doing so but that’s the NHTSA investigating if a recall is necessary, which happens pretty frequently for automotive defects. The NTSB investigating passenger car crashes is, AFAIK, nearly unprecedented outside of the two Tesla fatalities.

Not really. Honestly the attention, negative and positive, Tesla gets is driven by the passionate fans, not necessarily a public that mostly doesn't care. The fossil fuel lobby is a convenient scapegoat and does lobby policies that are unfavorable but Tesla fans drive clicks like no others.

L2 systems existed before Tesla Ap1? Are you sure? and in an infinity?

• Funny
Reactions: bedoig
In the event of a power supply failure, you may not need to be able to run the full board. At that point it may just need to either get somewhere safe or to it’s destination while only utilizing one node...
Does anyone know that the hardware required to detect a power failure on one of the wires is present? Redundant power supply would be pretty useless if the car kept on driving indefinitely as if nothing happened after 1 of 2 wires has broken.

My 2011 Prius had radar and forward camera with adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, and lane departure warning. In 2011.

How did lane keep assist work though?
I drove a Fusion the same year and the system did not keep the car in its lane by itself, just nudged it a little if it started to depart the lane, but a far cry from what AP1 did in my Model S in 2015.

How did lane keep assist work though?
I drove a Fusion the same year and the system did not keep the car in its lane by itself, just nudged it a little if it started to depart the lane, but a far cry from what AP1 did in my Model S in 2015.

Yeah, no doubt, in 2011 those systems were in their infancy. The Prius system only nudged a little. But the point was that AP1 was several years after that... and yes AP1 pushed the limits of driver assistance features beyond what any other make was doing at the time, but that doesn't mean they were the only L2 game in town. Also, it mostly wasn't even their technology -- off-the-shelf Mobileye plus off-the-shelf radar. The big difference with Tesla was that they were willing to enable features in those off-the-shelf products that other manufacturer's were due to safety and reliability concerns.

Yeah, no doubt, in 2011 those systems were in their infancy. The Prius system only nudged a little. But the point was that AP1 was several years after that... and yes AP1 pushed the limits of driver assistance features beyond what any other make was doing at the time, but that doesn't mean they were the only L2 game in town. Also, it mostly wasn't even their technology -- off-the-shelf Mobileye plus off-the-shelf radar. The big difference with Tesla was that they were willing to enable features in those off-the-shelf products that other manufacturer's were due to safety and reliability concerns.

Nudging isn't L2 though...

Reactions: MarcG