Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The message from Tesla does not say that though. The message just says west coast Model S/X before Model 3. You are assuming that Tesla will start with AP2.5 based on past history.

The problem is: You are reading Tesla in a way which history does not support. They are not the kind of company where the most benevolent reading of their words triumphs. They are the opposite of that.

In fact, I am actually thinking even bigger than your mistake that you think the VIN reference refers to VIN order (in any shape or form), is your belief that this message refers to a future event of mass retrofits...

If I were a betting man, I’d place good money on this message actually describing or paraphrasing SC bulletins of the current (or even past) situation — the drips of HW3 retrofits that have already started.

Just as another data point, I just tried to schedule mobile service for retrofit on my X. They messaged me saying they couldn't do it via mobile service and rescheduled it into a service center.

Took delivery in September 2018, MCU2 AP2.5.

I didn't try to schedule the 3 yet because, unfortunately, someone rear-ended it on Friday so it'll be in the body shop at some unknown point.

I'm trying to state what the message says. @electronblue is telling me what he thinks Tesla will actually do based on his view of Tesla's history.

I believe there is a very good chance the message actually describes this past and SCs are simply reciting the bulletins or quotes given to them perhaps some time ago.

The retrofits started from West Coast and eventually expanded towards East. Yes.

The retrofits started from (HW2.5 MCU2) Model S/X. Yes.

The Model 3 retrofits are coming after (HW2.5 MCU2) Model S/X. Yes.

The retrofits are made available by VIN (not in any order, but by VIN). Yes.

It all fits to the current situation.

And no, there was no priority for older cars. The latest HW configuration in existence pre-HW3 (Model S/X MCU2 AP2.5) got first dibs.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Are you guys arguing over what the message says or what will actually happen?

Unlike @diplomat33 claims, I am actually referring to both of them.

I think @diplomat33 makes two big mistakes:

1. He believes the reference to Model S/X first or VIN refers to some kind of priority for older cars. I do not believe that is said or even implied by the message, nor by any known facts.

2. He believes the message refers to future events of some impending mass procedure yet to start. While that is not as impossible an interpretation as the first one, I believe it would be false to assume that to be the case for certain. It seems very possible and plausible the message actually refers to the current situation and does not in fact offer any new information. After all, it comes from an SC to must be quoting (possibly a bit older) bulletins when replying.

Reactions: Fiddler
1. He believes the reference to Model S/X first or VIN refers to some kind of priority for older cars. I do not believe that is said or even implied by the message, nor by any known facts.

No. I said priority of older Model S over Model 3. Not quite the same thing.

2. He believes the message refers to future events of some impending mass procedure yet to start. While that is not as impossible an interpretation as the first one, I believe it would be false to assume that to be the case for certain. It seems very possible and plausible the message actually refers to the current situation and does not in fact offer any new information. After all, it comes from an SC to must be quoting (possibly a bit older) bulletins when replying.

Yes, that is my belief. I think it makes sense. There has barely been any upgrades at this point. If it is describing the current upgrades, Tesla is taking a long time. Makes more sense to assume it refers to future upgrades based on context too since the message starts with saying no upgrades yet for Model 3.

No. I said priority of older Model S over Model 3. Not quite the same thing.

Be that as it may, you are wrong about that. It is the other way around: newer Model S/X have priority over older Model 3 (and over older Model S/X).
Yes, that is my belief. I think it makes sense. There has barely been any upgrades at this point. If it is describing the current upgrades, Tesla is taking a long time. Makes more sense to assume it refers to future upgrades based on context too since the message starts with saying no upgrades yet for Model 3.

Does it?

Since when has it ever panned out with Tesla that a magical future event dramatically changes everything... instead of starting tiny and going from there to very small and then just small and then maybe a bit more and so forth.

With Tesla it is nearly always what you see is what you get.

Hmmm... maybe I should put in a service request now for the upgrade and see what they say? After all, Tesla is starting releasing features now that I paid for but not getting. The longer I wait, the longer the delay before I get what I paid for.

Hi Diplomat33 - You are a great guy here but tell them you want what you have paid for. I put in a service request today and already have two confirmations, one telling me I am going to receive a software update the day of service but not to install it. So it may just be real...

Reactions: diplomat33
Tesla has done some isolated upgrades of cars yes, but the mass upgrade has not started yet. The message is about how the mass upgrade will occur.

The mass upgrade will go like this:
1) Model S/X (AP2 and AP2.5) on the West Coast.
2) Then, Model 3 on the West Coast.
3) Then moving Eastward, starting with Model S/X first.

That is what the message says!
You could have bolded/underlined, and increased the font size of, that point, like this (above), to make it clear to all what your OP meant...:p

Hi Diplomat33 - You are a great guy here but tell them you want what you have paid for. I put in a service request today and already have two confirmations, one telling me I am going to receive a software update the day of service but not to install it. So it may just be real...
Well you have a 2019 S so it will be real for you. It's the late 2016 - early 2018 S & X that are still in limbo.

Well you have a 2019 S so it will be real for you. It's the late 2016 - early 2018 S & X that are still in limbo.
I guess that is the difference - I am also seeing the orange traffic cones under HW2.5. I hope it goes well for those unresolved. It is nice to get a bone occasionally because I did not get any performance increase or one pedal driving due to the fact that I purchased my MS one week before Raven production began...

Is that because of possibly requiring an MCU change over ?

If so - tesla’s Hard cost on swapping the MCU on MCU1 HW2 cars can’t be insurmountable.

Or alternatively - isn’t the screen the same on both the older and current MCU’s in terms of resolution - and could t they just swap the chip / electronics behind the display to make it be essentially an MCU2?