Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot is too strict on rules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just use the right scroller up and down 1 mph. I just discovered that you can do this without having to tug at the wheel
Anything on the wheel works - pulling the right stalk down, tugging the wheel, moving either scroll wheel, etc. I’ve found none of them to be terribly convenient, however. It would be nice if the steering wheel could just feel the weight of your hands.

Looking forward to the gaze detection upgrade.

Reactions: FalconFour
class 2: WUH. PLEASE pull the wheel now please. (lane disappears/merges, new lane appears, few other odds and ends) - pull the wheel alert appears with red hands and "boop boop"

I only rarely see the wheel alert with the red hands, but I usually catch it at the little black message or the blue "wave" stage when I'm not putting enough pressure on the steering wheel.

This afternoon, however, I saw the red hands alerts twice in a short period. I was on a straight, flat stretch of divided highway with no car in sight in front of me, and I was looking at the energy usage chart both times. The first time, I thought I must have missed the first level of warnings, but the second time, I'm sure it went straight to the red hands, and there was definitely no change in the driving environment.

It almost seemed like the cabin camera was also tracking where I was looking, and it thought my eyes had not been looking at the road for too long. So, it went straight to the level 2 steering wheel warning.

I only rarely see the wheel alert with the red hands, but I usually catch it at the little black message or the blue "wave" stage when I'm not putting enough pressure on the steering wheel.

This afternoon, however, I saw the red hands alerts twice in a short period. I was on a straight, flat stretch of divided highway with no car in sight in front of me, and I was looking at the energy usage chart both times. The first time, I thought I must have missed the first level of warnings, but the second time, I'm sure it went straight to the red hands, and there was definitely no change in the driving environment.

It almost seemed like the cabin camera was also tracking where I was looking, and it thought my eyes had not been looking at the road for too long. So, it went straight to the level 2 steering wheel warning.
What software version are you on? I just got a minor update to 2021.24.10 (from 2021.24.3) Prior to the latest update I had sporadic problems with AP getting mad for no clear reason (my wife joked that the car had PMS!) I took a couple longer drives over the weekend on 24.10 and it seemed to behave better.

Lots of dissention from people claiming to have superhuman reflexes and hyper focus. Cars and their governing regulations are not designed for you. They are designed for the most oblivious idiot who can qualify for both a license and a car loan which, statistically speaking, is at least half of us.
Follow the design intent and there won't be issues.
My nomination for "post of the year"

Once, it detected one of the turn-guidance markers from another lane to somehow be a dot for my lane, so it almost swerved right into adjacent traffic. Key word: almost, because I predicted it, saw it jerking the steering, grabbed & disengaged it
The same happens to me every time I go through a certain intersection when in the right lane (4-lane divided). It tries to jump into the left lane due to the guidance lane markers. Hands-on-the-wheel the first time this happened and all that happened were 2 people with the daylights scared out of them, and one cussin up a storm. The next time I let it go (no cars around) and it swerved hard left to get into the left lane then swerved back to center itself in the left lane, narrowly missing the median and sounding the collision alarm. FSD stayed engaged. I wonder what it would have done if there was a car on my left.

What software version are you on? I just got a minor update to 2021.24.10 (from 2021.24.3) Prior to the latest update I had sporadic problems with AP getting mad for no clear reason (my wife joked that the car had PMS!) I took a couple longer drives over the weekend on 24.10 and it seemed to behave better.
Software version 2021.4.21.3.

I have a May-June build with vision-only (no radar).

As a legacy AP1 user, I have found in recent(last couple years?) versions that nagging is much more aggressive on sketchier roads/stretches (hates those invterted lane marking past the grapevine) . Also have been put into autopilot jail more often and with more variable causes, including while my hands were entirely on the wheel but sensor didnt know and I missed the warning, while using acceleator pedal during ‘auto’ lane changes, and while acclerating too much.

Also have been put into autopilot jail more often and with more variable causes, including while my hands were entirely on the wheel but sensor didnt know and I missed the warning, while using acceleator pedal during ‘auto’ lane changes, and while acclerating too much.
Check your speed. Most likely you hit the 80 mph threshold.
When they switched to camera only, they limited AP to 75. As data showed up, they relaxed it to 80. It’s easy to hit that speed doing exactly what you described.
Presumably, when they have more data, they might increase or remove the cap. Then again, with all the moronic drivers playing games, with hands off wheel, or not paying attention (google “tesla accident”) they might, or better yet, should keep the cap, since it’s a good check against driver stupidity (google “do I have to keep my hands on the wheel”).
I have TACC set to +10%, so 65 mph speed limit will drive at 72, leaving enough room for mild acceleration to pass, without bumping against the hard cap.
The only thing worse than being thrown in the penalty box on an long drive is when it occurs and there’s no rest stop (for a “park” reset) for miles.

I have a very light touch on the steering wheel. Even though I am in touch with the wheel, AP tends to nag me to the point of having a wrestling match with the wheel every time it nags. I find it easier to simply drive the car rather than use the AP/FSD features.
Don’t wiggle the steering wheel. Gently pull on it and hold until the nag goes away. Until I read about this method it was a struggle for me as well. Now i’ve no issues dismissing nags easily.

When they switched to camera only, they limited AP to 75. As data showed up, they relaxed it to 80. It’s easy to hit that speed doing exactly what you described.
Presumably, when they have more data, they might increase or remove the cap. Then again, with all the moronic drivers playing games, with hands off wheel, or not paying attention (google “tesla accident”) they might, or better yet, should keep the cap, since it’s a good check against driver stupidity (google “do I have to keep my hands on the wheel”).
I have TACC set to +10%, so 65 mph speed limit will drive at 72, leaving enough room for mild acceleration to pass, without bumping against the hard cap.
The only thing worse than being thrown in the penalty box on an long drive is when it occurs and there’s no rest stop (for a “park” reset) for miles.
I've had it through me in jail for random, unexplained reasons, too (at speeds well below 80.) Seems to be better with the latest update but the software is far from perfect.

Don’t wiggle the steering wheel. Gently pull on it and hold until the nag goes away. Until I read about this method it was a struggle for me as well. Now i’ve no issues dismissing nags easily.
The problem is, the difference in pressure needed to keep/stop the car from nagging and the pressure needed to cancel AP is not terribly great. In general, I've learned but I'll still pull too hard on occasion, or in an attempt not to pull too hard I won't pull hard enough.

The problem is, the difference in pressure needed to keep/stop the car from nagging and the pressure needed to cancel AP is not terribly great. In general, I've learned but I'll still pull too hard on occasion, or in an attempt not to pull too hard I won't pull hard enough.
Then just roll either scroll wheel up or down one notch.
Problem fixed!

Reactions: helvio
Honestly I am not impressed with my Autopilot. On my BMW x5 45e Professional Driving Assistant working much better.
An older thread with comparison and comments by several users.

Reactions: sunfarm
An older thread with comparison and comments by several users.

Agree with you, but this is only my personal opinion from 2021 X5 45e.

I’ll have to test it out more closely re speed cap, but re radar, I’m pretty sure the legacy AP1 cars couldnt have gotten rid of radar as they only have the one camera.