Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to admit regardless of the the video's editing (begins in the later afternoon and ends in the earlier afternoon, based on shadow length) this degree of self driving is exciting to see and far ahead of the press & "the expert's" prediction of how soon TRUE autonomous driving will become commonplace. Yesterday Wired reported 50,000 Budwisers delivered by Uber's autonomous OTTO big rig.
Uber’s Self-Driving Truck Makes Its First Delivery: 50,000 Budweisers
Cheers!

Reactions: calisnow
You have to admit regardless of the the video's editing (begins in the later afternoon and ends in the earlier afternoon, based on shadow length) this degree of self driving is exciting to see and far ahead of the press & "the expert's" prediction of how soon TRUE autonomous driving will become commonplace. Yesterday Wired reported 50,000 Budwisers delivered by Uber's autonomous OTTO big rig.
Cheers!
Agreed .... but would have been more compelling if the video was unedited.

Yea, I too took a good look at that vid, (Was hoping to maybe develop a contact at Tesla) They started at the house at 1020 Sharon Park Drive, Menlo Park. Turns out that they used a house currently on the market for sale - them Tesla folks are clever.

Cheers!

Very true. I believe the video has a prototype Model X and what we saw was actually what happened (perhaps with some stops that were not shown). I reached out to Tesla to confirm and will post an update if they come back with something other than a confirmation that it's a test drive with prototype hardware/software.

According to the NTHSA, this was not a demonstration of Level 5, but of Level 4.
Level 5 cars have no steering wheels, brake pedals, nor accelerators.

I urge people to go to the NVIDIA YouTube website, and view their presentations
of what the NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 platform computer can achieve in self-driving cars.
I believe this would eliminate a lot of speculation about self-driving cars, and give
people more confidence in them.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Can you point me to any documentation that says Level 5 can't have driver controls?
According to my understanding of the NHTSA definitions, there is no difference in the software/hardware capability between Levels 4 and 5.
Therefore, Level 4 and 5 would operate the same way. Since Tesla does not currently offer cars without steering wheels, brake pedals, nor accelerators, the Model X in the video was operating as a Level 4.

Cheers!
Don't forget that the Otto truck does not do anything that AP 1.0 does now. Maybe it does not tell you to hold the steering wheel so many times, but apart from that the driver has to be in the car and the truck only drives itself in the highway or similar roads, just like Tesla AP 1.0

According to the NTHSA, this was not a demonstration of Level 5, but of Level 4.
Level 5 cars have no steering wheels, brake pedals, nor accelerators.

I urge people to go to the NVIDIA YouTube website, and view their presentations
of what the NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 platform computer can achieve in self-driving cars.
I believe this would eliminate a lot of speculation about self-driving cars, and give
people more confidence in them.

Your first mistake is thinking NHTSA has a level 5... they don't.

SAE has a level 5 and it's pretty clear what the distinctions are here

I love the demo, however I wonder if AP 3.0 will include color cameras so that they can see street light colors and sign colors.
I wonder the same thing. There's a difference between a sign that says "55MPH" and is yellow, and a sign that says "55MPH" and is white. There is a difference between a flashing red light and a flashing yellow light. Flashing yellow light means you get rear-ended at high speed, pushed out into traffic, and T-boned to death. Flashing red light means you run the light and get T-boned to death. That is, unless you know the difference.

Agreed .... but would have been more compelling if the video was unedited.

Yea, I too took a good look at that vid, (Was hoping to maybe develop a contact at Tesla) They started at the house at 1020 Sharon Park Drive, Menlo Park. Turns out that they used a house currently on the market for sale - them Tesla folks are clever.
Wow, that house is expensive. They could use my house if they want to for their next video.

I would only charge them...lets see......how much is AP 2.0 again?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: 3Victoria
I wonder the same thing. There's a difference between a sign that says "55MPH" and is yellow, and a sign that says "55MPH" and is white. There is a difference between a flashing red light and a flashing yellow light. Flashing yellow light means you get rear-ended at high speed, pushed out into traffic, and T-boned to death. Flashing red light means you run the light and get T-boned to death. That is, unless you know the difference.
Agreed.

Do we know for sure that the front cameras are all B/W?
The sides could be black and white, they just need to register objects.
I was watching the demo video and it showed at least 1 front black and white camera view.

I don't know if it showed the other 2 front cameras, however non of the cameras were in color except for the go-pro that was being used behind the driver.