Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well at least you have tiles from July, in NL they date from March 2017 :(
behold, Tesla is on the home stretch to deploy Q1 2017 navigon maps in Europe (they first appeared on internal resources a few months ago and I reported it back then, but I had no idea it takes this long from first getting the files from the vendor to push to the cars).

Of course they are going to still be 1 year old at this point, but that still beats having 2.5+ years old nav maps.

Reactions: kbecks13 and daud
I wonder if it would add to our insights driving around on different splines and seeing the tiles describe vs how the splines describe. I see the system spits these out, which I think @verygreen has already shared, but wondering if we drive some known splines and record whats recording if it get lead to deeper insights into the tile system.

Code:
TMHZN_currentBranchAutopilotFlags,@invalid
TMHZN_currentBranchIsBidirectional,@invalid
TMHZN_currentBranchIsControlledAccess,@invalid
TMHZN_currentBranchIsRamp,@invalid
TMHZN_currentBranchRoadClass,@invalid
TMHZN_dasBranchTrigger,@invalid
TMHZN_localizerResponse,@invalid
TMHZN_speedLimit,@invalid
TMHZN_speedLimitUnits,@invalid

• Helpful
Reactions: lunitiks
I wonder if it would add to our insights driving around on different splines and seeing the tiles describe vs how the splines describe. I see the system spits these out, which I think @verygreen has already shared, but wondering if we drive some known splines and record whats recording if it get lead to deeper insights into the tile system.

Code:
TMHZN_currentBranchAutopilotFlags,@invalid
TMHZN_currentBranchIsBidirectional,@invalid
TMHZN_currentBranchIsControlledAccess,@invalid
TMHZN_currentBranchIsRamp,@invalid
TMHZN_currentBranchRoadClass,@invalid
TMHZN_dasBranchTrigger,@invalid
TMHZN_localizerResponse,@invalid
TMHZN_speedLimit,@invalid
TMHZN_speedLimitUnits,@invalid
that's just data from Tesla maps (as opposed to adas tiles), there's also a version for electrobit (used in Japan) and then there's HZN_ with no qualifiers that I am currently not sure of the source, possibly navigon?

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I’m not sure where the new tile data is coming from. I reloaded my local times and there is now content of every single road in my area. Areas that I know no Tesla’s have driven on. All of those areas that haven’t had Tesla’s on them have 0% confidence, whereas the areas I’ve driven have much higher confidences. I seems like they have either acquired spline info from a third party or more likely have used the road structure to predict splines along them. Maybe through simulation? Those splines are very nice and neat and straight, whereas mine, though with higher confidence, are all wiggly in my neighborhood because I am always having to drive around cars parked along the curb...lol

The high precision maps is a totally different thing. They could be used from ape computer itself and the format is different that these adas tiles, but the availability is minuscle. They only cover bay area, bits of Los Angeles and Edgewood (also in Bay area, where Elon has a house it seems?).... hm, Actually, it seems they uploaded whole Calfornia yesterday, dated Dec 15th and some other stuff that's not totally obvious right now but also big.

Are there any resources to see what those contain? Or are you preferring to stay tight-lipped about them? (the HD maps you're referencing)

Are there any resources to see what those contain? Or are you preferring to stay tight-lipped about them? (the HD maps you're referencing)
I currently have only a very limited glimpse into that whole thing since I am not in California and Tesla seems to have got at least some security right this time around (what a surprise, probably finally hired some competent people?).

Actually somewha topposite. What we know about AP2 seems to imply it does use stereo vision between the main and narrow cameras.

The high precision maps is a totally different thing. They could be used from ape computer itself and the format is different that these adas tiles, but the availability is minuscle. They only cover bay area, bits of Los Angeles and Edgewood (also in Bay area, where Elon has a house it seems?).... hm, Actually, it seems they uploaded whole Calfornia yesterday, dated Dec 15th and some other stuff that's not totally obvious right now but also big.

Excuse me??? Did you just say that Tesla just now (Dec 21) uploaded high precision maps for the whole state of California? Did I read that right?

Excuse me??? Did you just say that Tesla just now (Dec 21) uploaded high precision maps for the whole state of California? Did I read that right?
Yes, seems so. It still might be spotty, but at least it's not a disjointed collection of different snapshots like "bay area" "la" and such where you cannot really jump between them.

Edit: I just realized that they started to populate coast-to-coast route too, that's the other big chunk I mentioned.

I am going on a wild speculation here, but it appears they are going to rely heavily on those maps for FSD, which likely means if you don't live in California, FSD would be limited to highways and other such areas.

Not surprising really, they’ve always said it will be highly dependent on hdmaps. The real question is how are they getting the data and who’s maintaining it.

Oh, by a stroke of luck I seems to have at least part of the answer about how all those fake radar targets are marked.

So my car generated a "rob-silent" snapshot, and after some investigation it does not mean somebody's robbing me, it probably is an abbreviation from "radar object braking" or some such instead.

Includes 9 frames from main camera ending with this one:
509447334208.img.data.jpg

Also I remember there was another report of such snapshot back some time ago: HW2 Anonymous Snapshot that was also marked in this same way and the frame kind of matches too.

It's generated when something-radar based is detected and a bit in navigation data is not set and probably something else too since it's not the first time I am travelling under that bridge, and the adas tile did not change either, yet first time I see this generated.

There's also another kind of snapshot that could be generated out of that code named "rob-active", that triggers under some different conditions - looks like when car decided to do some braking in response to radar signal?

I'm really kind of curious what the main camera first one was? Why? Just curious how far out (visually) the radar can detect that problem/situation.
It does not work like this.

It triggers the snapshot when the condition arose, but the cam buffer has 10 last frames (only 9 are here somehow, 1 fps) from the camera and the whole back buffer is included. So the problem was detected somewhere in between last and previous to last frames.
Edit: we don't really know this, it might have been detected after the last frame was captured too since it's independent and the code does not ask for the "current" camera frame.

The previous to last frame is:
508477675872.img.data.jpg

The very first frame is this, but nothing was detected at it yet.

501447722208.img.data.jpg

I am going on a wild speculation here, but it appears they are going to rely heavily on those maps for FSD, which likely means if you don't live in California, FSD would be limited to highways and other such areas.

Verygreen, I saw your video on the old and new navigation system. I am guessing that the new system is using Tesla's maps.

Is it still possible to say "Navigate to Home Depot" and the new Nav system shows you multiple Home Depot's to choose from? I hope we do not lose this feature when we move to the new Nav system. That would be a huge step backwards.

Verygreen, I saw your video on the old and new navigation system. I am guessing that the new system is using Tesla's maps.

Is it still possible to say "Navigate to Home Depot" and the new Nav system shows you multiple Home Depot's to choose from? I hope we do not lose this feature when we move to the new Nav system. That would be a huge step backwards.
that's a totally different thing. The stuff we are discussing here is autopilot maps so the car knows how to drive itself in a particular place.

The video is navigation map that shows you directions where to go.
The "navigate to ..." and other voice commands are disconnected from underlying functionality and as such are not affected by maps engine change.
The system queries google maps for points of interest too, before using the navigation system not related to google maps to navigate you to the address received from the google maps.