Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@verygreen - why would Tesla push high res coast to coast maps to the entire fleet of customer cars? Is it to use the customer fleets in silent shadow mode - increasing reliability before the big public drive? Or is it so they can "flip the switch" and turn on some EAP for us all on that publicized route as they publicly do the coast to coast drive with a company car?

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Yes, seems so. It still might be spotty, but at least it's not a disjointed collection of different snapshots like "bay area" "la" and such where you cannot really jump between them.

Edit: I just realized that they started to populate coast-to-coast route too, that's the other big chunk I mentioned.
What do these maps look like? Are they different from the tiles that DamianXIV made the cool program for?

@verygreen - why would Tesla push high res coast to coast maps to the entire fleet of customer cars? Is it to use the customer fleets in silent shadow mode - increasing reliability before the big public drive? Or is it so they can "flip the switch" and turn on some EAP for us all on that publicized route as they publicly do the coast to coast drive with a company car?
There's no high res coast co coast maps yet it seems. They are also not pushing anything to customer cars yet it appears, not to my car anyway, things might be somewhat different in California.

It looks like they might flip the switch one day, though, for California.

There's no high res coast co coast maps yet it seems. They are also not pushing anything to customer cars yet it appears, not to my car anyway, things might be somewhat different in California.

It looks like they might flip the switch one day, though, for California.
Oh sorry I guess I misunderstood your post. What did you mean by Tesla "uploaded" the more detailed maps in Dec 15? Where did they upload them to if not our cars?

Even though I know @verygreen is leaving, I would like to hear your opinion on how the adas map is addressed. Per your explanation and analysis it seems the maps have 2D GPS coordinates to address the right tile. However there are many roads (1) going side by side, or (2) vertically located. For example
都道317号線
Google Maps
This is my neighborhood, the road on this streetview is an overpass, and apparently there is one more road on the left. Also beneath this overpass, there's Shuto Expressway route C2 underground.

How does Tesla ADAS map system address these tiles correctly? Also this Shuto Expressway route C2 has 11.3 miles of continuous underground tunnel with zero GPS reception.

@verygreen When would you expect "three months maybe, six months definitely" to become a reality (i.e. FSD-exclusive features?)
given that they are ramping up "level3" support (very visible in firmware), it looks like limited availability where maps allow (ie parts of California) is imminent, i.e. it's at most a couple of months away. Possibly it will just coincide with completion of the coast to coast FSD demo (so that availability is wider too), but then the maps for that are not ready yet.
So... Going on a limb here, closer to end of Q1 to hype up EoQ1 sales? ;)
Possibly there are going to be a couple of not wide releases in between that would allow level3 stuff where maps are present (again, likely California only) that people would be really hyped up about, not that's not a given.

This thread is possibly the first step of something that is going to cost me another $3k… dammit. :D

I said if I don't see real, substantial progress in EAP and/or FSD before I get mine, I won't buy FSD. Now that might not be such a crazy thing after all. I'm also hearing from a source that… and for the love of christ don't shoot the messenger if I'm wrong… AP2 auto wipers should be a thing by end of January, maybe earlier.

• Funny
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
given that they are ramping up "level3" support (very visible in firmware), it looks like limited availability where maps allow (ie parts of California) is imminent, i.e. it's at most a couple of months away. Possibly it will just coincide with completion of the coast to coast FSD demo (so that availability is wider too), but then the maps for that are not ready yet.
So... Going on a limb here, closer to end of Q1 to hype up EoQ1 sales? ;)
Possibly there are going to be a couple of not wide releases in between that would allow level3 stuff where maps are present (again, likely California only) that people would be really hyped up about, not that's not a given.

So you’re telling me I should move to California...

Thanks for your contribution to this forum. Your insight is invaluable, and I hope to read more of your posts in the future.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Good question. I think AP1 cars will never use these 'local speed' as they have no reliable way to determine their exact distance to the corner: you need AP2 with their multiple camera's to create a stereoscopic image for that. Same reason why AP1 cars can already for a long time recognize traffic lights afaik but without distance they can't do anything with that information.
Still wondering what 'Unknown Speed 1/2/3' are.

I have an AP1 car that definitely used the local speed info recently. The car slowed down perfectly on an exit that curved sharply despite TACC being set to 100km/h. It did this for around a week and then after the latest 50.2 update it has reverted to just blasting at top speed through the exit.

I'm also hearing from a source that… and for the love of christ don't shoot the messenger if I'm wrong… AP2 auto wipers should be a thing by end of January, maybe earlier.
Reloading.gif