Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot punished me for going too fast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see the comments above "if I'm doing 90, I pretty much want to have my hands on the wheel" and "I want my hands on the damn wheel, and I think yours should be too."

My experience has been you are put into autopilot jail if you exceed 90 mph (or 95 mph) with AP on, even if you keep your hands on the steering wheel.

So AP jail is not trigged by driving over 90 mph with your hands off the steering wheel--is going over 90 with AP on alone enough to put you in AP jail ?

If your hands are on the wheel at 90, even with the autopilot on, then why bother with it?

Which kind of brings up a whole 'nother discussion about the point of Autopilot at all, but I'll let that go for now...

• Funny
Reactions: Magnets!
No need to get out if car. Just put in park.

Wish the car could tell you how to get autopilot back, all it states is "autopilot not available for rest of drive due to driver exceeding speed". I had no idea what the car considers "rest of drive". I assumed if I got out the car and locked it, then it had to consider my drive ended. But at least I know putting in park works.

Autopilot jail should be at least somewhat relative. The problem of course is a lot of speed limits are incorrect in the current map system.

If the road has an 75, 80 or 85 MPH speed limit autopilot jail should probably adjust to 95 or 100.

They do not slap 80 or 85 MPH speed limits on just any roads. In TX the 80 MPH roads are in the flat desert where the road is fairly strait and flat for hundreds of miles. Not really taxing the autopilot to keep you centered at 80 MPH on a flat strait road. Hardly a situation where you need to keep both hands in a death grip on the wheel. The 85 MPH road is a toll road near Austin where they compete with the interstate by offering 85 vs 75 MPH (and it bypasses some slower areas).

The only times I have had it kick in is when I am set for 5 MPH over the speed limit, yes I know I am speeding, but I usually go with 5 MPH. I go to pass an 18 wheeler and another car comes up fast behind me and I want to do the courteous thing and give it a bit of gas to finish passing the semi and get back in the lane and slow back down. I just flick the stalk up and pass quickly and get back over. Of course the first couple of times I did it without disengaging the autopilot and got put in jail and did not really realize what had happened until I read up on it.

I know it is hard concept for many coastal state drivers to grasp that there may be empty roads with very fast speed limits, and you can actually drive that fast in the slow lane without having to pass very often. The main reason I restrict speed in my Tesla is not traffic but trying to conserve battery due to lack of supercharging infrastructure.

Autopilot jail should be at least somewhat relative. The problem of course is a lot of speed limits are incorrect in the current map system.

If the road has an 75, 80 or 85 MPH speed limit autopilot jail should probably adjust to 95 or 100.

They do not slap 80 or 85 MPH speed limits on just any roads. In TX the 80 MPH roads are in the flat desert where the road is fairly strait and flat for hundreds of miles. Not really taxing the autopilot to keep you centered at 80 MPH on a flat strait road. Hardly a situation where you need to keep both hands in a death grip on the wheel. The 85 MPH road is a toll road near Austin where they compete with the interstate by offering 85 vs 75 MPH (and it bypasses some slower areas).

The only times I have had it kick in is when I am set for 5 MPH over the speed limit, yes I know I am speeding, but I usually go with 5 MPH. I go to pass an 18 wheeler and another car comes up fast behind me and I want to do the courteous thing and give it a bit of gas to finish passing the semi and get back in the lane and slow back down. I just flick the stalk up and pass quickly and get back over. Of course the first couple of times I did it without disengaging the autopilot and got put in jail and did not really realize what had happened until I read up on it.

I know it is hard concept for many coastal state drivers to grasp that there may be empty roads with very fast speed limits, and you can actually drive that fast in the slow lane without having to pass very often. The main reason I restrict speed in my Tesla is not traffic but trying to conserve battery due to lack of supercharging infrastructure.

Just because the speed limit goes up, AP doesn't suddenly gain the ability to see lane lines further ahead, or to identify cars further up the road. Tesla put the limit at 90 mph based on what they believe the safe limits of the sensors and processing on the car are - and nothing about a higher speed limit road will change that.

Reactions: Magnets!
If you are going to use Autopilot you should learn its rules.

If you are passing trucks on a two lane road at higher than legal speeds, it is prudent to take it out of autopilot and proceed manually.

Dealing with 180 MPH closing speeds, on the wrong side of the road, is perhaps foolish with autopilot.

A better behavior would be to have autopilot stop working (like it does) and then wait a couple of minutes before allowing it to be reengaged. Requiring someone to pull over and put a vehicle in park could be dangerous in a lot of areas.

Autopilot is driver assistance. You're never required to pull over. You could, you know, drive the car... :p

As I wrote upthread, if Tesla gave us softer limits, more people would tend to abuse them more often. I can understand them not wanting that and the resulting accidents that people would blame on them.

It has happened to me in other states on a x-country drive, not yet in CA. Reason why mine occurred is using the auto passing system my car moves out to pass and someone is speeding and coming up fast. There is a real lag in any acceleration when passing and as a result someone coming up a bit fast makes you look like a fool for pulling out. I hit the accelerator and just happen to go over 90 and presto the Red Steering Wheel. An option is to shift up, out of auto drive before hitting the accelerator, avoids the Red Steering Wheel and jail. BTW auto pass also sees ghosts and pulls out for no reason. Moving the turn signal up stops the auto pass but the cars behind are wondering what is going on..

It's been four years now and even though AP has improved a lot, I still see a long road ahead. These people that are getting in accidents under AP simply don't understand that it's only there to make driving easier NOT take over driving completely. Never expect it to replace an alert human in it's current state. That's what the manual says and that's what I say and believe.

It's been four years now and even though AP has improved a lot, I still see a long road ahead. These people that are getting in accidents under AP simply don't understand that it's only there to make driving easier NOT take over driving completely. Never expect it to replace an alert human in it's current state. That's what the manual says and that's what I say and believe.
Yeah AP is nice to have. It makes doing spontaneous long day trips or LA to Vegas trips much easier. I can stay in Vegas as long as I feel like on my last day and not worry about being tired for my drive home (I live in CA). And if I leave at late night, better for autopilot less cars / variables to deal with.

I would recommend Tesla to my dad because he seems to not enjoy driving. Asks for rides sometimes just simply because he doesn't want to drive. I understand it, used to be like that when I drove gas cars. But going electric, everything is more predicable so less driving fatigue. Also auto regen braking is really nice to have, no need to always to try apply the brakes all the time.