Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot Software - MIT Tech Review article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
Tesla Tests Self-Driving Functions with Secret Updates to Its Customers’ Cars

“Since introducing this hardware 18 months ago we’ve accrued 780 million miles,” said Anderson. “We can use all of that data on our servers to look for how people are using our cars and how we can improve things.” Every 10 hours Tesla gets another million miles worth of data, he said.

Tesla’s engineers initially test new self-driving software against those records. Any that perform well can also be tested by secretly installing them onto customer vehicles and watching how they respond to conditions on the road, although the software doesn't actually control the car.

Clever development system.

Before they sprain their arms patting themselves on the back they should fix some glaring bugs in the software.

For example, it would be nice if when AP is changing lanes it wouldn't overshoot the lane it was going into. This has been a problem since AP was first introduced and is still very much there. How the system can steer the car so far over that it generates the lane departure warning against it's own driving is completely beyond me. It's particularly hair raising if there's another vehicle in the lane it's overshooting into.

Before they sprain their arms patting themselves on the back they should fix some glaring bugs in the software.

For example, it would be nice if when AP is changing lanes it wouldn't overshoot the lane it was going into. This has been a problem since AP was first introduced and is still very much there. How the system can steer the car so far over that it generates the lane departure warning against it's own driving is completely beyond me. It's particularly hair raising if there's another vehicle in the lane it's overshooting into.
Maybe they are planning on using the new nvidia tech its a different tecnology so maybe it willfix your problem and probably it will create some new problem that now you dont have .. if they change ... And maybe the news is that they will since it has little sense that you have a super better autopilot and you dont release it. The current problem with ap cant be solved using only new hw

as for the the overshooting, I've just experienced this problem for the first time. I was only able to replicate it once. the car was travelling in the far left, passing an 18 wheeler, after passing I engage the turn signal to have AP pull into the center lane, another 18 wheeler was in the right lane just ahead of where I was headed, the car makes the lane change properly to center lane but then overshoots the lane and is a foot or three into the right lane headed for that 18 wheeler's rear end, like the truck ahead of me was a target to be hit. of course I assumed control. a few miles down the road I replicated that scenario and it did it again. if the right lane is empty it doesn't overshoot. I couldn't replicate the overshoot headed into the left lanes.

I have had both the overshoot problem but even more concerning I have used auto-lane change , turned the blinker off when I am 3/4 in the new lane and had the car dart back to the old lane.

I'm really feeling left out here. Do all of these people who have never had problems with AP actually own the same car I do? Are they just being generous to support the cause? I'm all for supporting the cause but the AP has tons of issues.

I haven't had overshoot issues, though some hesitation when it should be clear -- but I can certainly live with that.

Anyone have to manually turn off the blinker after the lane change? I have to every time. It's on my dozen-or-so-long list of little things for my first SC visit.