TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla AutoPilot Version 2 - Able to use data from 8 cameras or only 4?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by YVR88, Dec 20, 2016.

1. YVR88

YVR88 Member

If one springs for the Full Self-Driving Capacity one gets 8 cameras instead of 4.

I understand the Fill Self-Driving Capacity is not active yet and might take a while before it is rolled out.

Is the current autopilot able to access and use the four additional cameras at the moment for the basic Autopilot?

Or are the extra 4 cameras not active until the Self-Driving Capacity is activated.

Having an extra four cameras connected should be a good thing one would think?

Any ideas?

• Funny x 1
  2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Only Tesla would know that, but since they said that EAP only uses 4 cameras I doubt that the other 4 will be used before they start rolling out the post-EAP features. (i.e. FSD.)

3. phaduman

phaduman Member

good points. that means, EAP might not provide any better Blind SPoT detection than current AP1.0 systems - which rely solely on the (short range) ultrasonic (ultra-slow) sensors. AP2.0 hw has longer range, but is that any faster - many doubt it. If side cameras are not used, then there is sure home the back camera can help improve the blind spot detection function.

And if so, I would hope someday AP1.0 cars could utilize the rear-camera for the same reasons (though the compute resources are lacking, but who knows, the s/w could still do some magic?)....oh well.

4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#4 malcolm, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    AFAIK Tesla's full AP software is running in the background and is contributing to fleet learning during the current AP 1 to AP 2 transition period. It just doesn't control the vehicle as fully as it could at present.

So I assume that all cameras, ultrasonics and the radar are involved in this testing phase but only some are contributing to the present level of AP functionality (depending on which firmware version us armchair engineers believe to be "superior" and allow to be installed :) )

• Funny x 1
  5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

EAP should have much better blind spot detection. (It uses two forward looking cameras and the two rear facing side cameras according to Tesla.)

6. phaduman

phaduman Member

Well, Tesla specifically states the EAP will only use 4 cameras (3 up front, and 1 back). If they are sticking to that, then I doubt they will use side cameras for blind spot detection. In my opinion, side cameras are needed for reliable blind spot detection (some additional radars would have been the best option, but that is another story....)

7. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

I suspect at some point all 8 cameras will start working at least in the background to collect data for fleet learning in preparation for FSD. But I don't expect them to be involved in the operation of the car from day 1. For one the SW may not have been optimized. Think of it like 64 bit apps, even if the HW supports 64 bit, not all apps get switched to 64 bit immediately. How the data from the extra 4 cameras are used probably will depend on what driving scenarios the FSD will need to handle, and that will take time to collect.

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

@phaduman Where do they say that they use the front 3 and the 1 back camera for EAP? That certainly isn't what I have seen them say:

EAP-WhichCameras.png

• Like x 1
  9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I wish they would just list the feature set of each level. Of course, maybe they have learned and don't want to commit.

But who really cares if it's using 1, 4, 8, 100 cameras. It's what's he car does with them that matters.

The listing implies AP2.0 EAP to do true onramp to offramp, more advanced summon, auto park (from the drivers seat).

Everything else is FSDC.

10. phaduman

phaduman Member

I captured this (below) from the custom order page for Model S. Clearly states for FSD, that the # of cameras "double" from four to eight. Clearly, for EAP, they are NOT using 4 of the cameras. Interesting though, is, which 4 they are NOT using in EAP.

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 10.11.36 PM.png

11. dsnows

dsnows Member

AP for $5000 seems like an obvious upgrade choice. FSD capability activates 4 additional cameras for another $3000. FSD is not legal in many places as far as I know. So, my question is, does EAP take advantage of the additional active cameras if I pay extra for FSD. Will I get any benefit now, before self driving is legally allowed. Will EAP work better?

12. Tam

Tam Active Member

EAP is still in its infancy so it's possible that Tesla has been activating functions of sensors incrementally (like only 1 camera out of 8 for now...).

It's possible that there's no benefit initially but as more sensors are activated, it will be more beneficial.

13. animorph

animorph Member

I doubt Tesla will run two versions of EAP so I expect it will use 4 cameras only. Just my opinion of course.

FSD is supposed to be incrementally implemented, and I would think nothing prevents them from giving you even a fully working FSD but require you to hold on to the steering wheel to avoid regulatory problems. So it should have plenty of benefit to owners even before final regulatory approvals. I do not expect that we will get no FSD until it is fully complete and fully approved.

14. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

I also expect Tesla to run different software for EAP & FSD.

It seems more likely there will be only one AP software suite. When FSD has been purchased, the AP software will use the sensor data from all 8 cameras to improve object detection - and use the increased data to more safely operate under more driving conditions.

Cars operating only with EAP activated will be limited to data from only 4 cameras. Tesla may geofence EAP operations at some point to prevent it from working under conditions when the 4 cameras don't provide enough data for safe operation.

And when Tesla gets approval for FSD operation, they'll eliminate the nag about touching the steering wheel periodically.