TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Autopilot Vs Competition

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by SBenson, Oct 22, 2015.

1. SBenson

SBenson Active Member

I understand that there are quite a number of threads discussing Tesla's AP both in investor section and else where. But I specifically wanted to discuss Tesla's Autopilot functionality vs competition. I believe it's relevant to investors so creating a thread here.

Many people have said lane keeping and active cruise control are available in many other cars. Mercedes S-Class has collision avoidance which they highlight on their website.

So what is special about Tesla's autopilot? How is it better/different?

I read Model S can change lanes on tap of turn-signal. Does it work? Is this unique to Tesla?

What else?

2. blanche

blanche Member

3. SBenson

SBenson Active Member

Thanks blanche, that's helpful.

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

In summary, there is no competition, again. Tesla is way ahead of the pack.

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

As it well should be with the best!

6. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#6 scottf200, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  7. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Two words on the above Mercedes system :research car. It's not in production.

8. smac

smac Active Member

Or this:
    Infiniti Q50 Active Lane Control - Selfdriving Car - YouTube

Skip to 1:20 to see a sure fire Darwin award nominee. (please, please, please anyone with AP please don't try and prove Tesla can out do the competition and also do the same stunt at 60mph+ on public highways with other road users around)

9. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#9 scottf200, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Yes, I'm impressed with Tesla but give credit where credit is due. You think any of Tesla's research cars can figure out 4 way stops and adjust to odd behavior. Many impressive things and screens in that video show their level of knowledge.

The main things we've seen from Tesla are what the Mobileye provides to Tesla Mobileye technology

"holistic path prediction" (HPP) is Mobileye's too shown in Mobileye video presentations.

11-May-2015 Mobileye

10. smac

smac Active Member

@scottf Indeed, it's MobileEye that deserves the credit ;)

The biggest separator i suspect is really how far the manufacturers are willing to push the liability envelope.

Mobileye Automated Driving - YouTube

11. Spidy

Spidy Member

Probably also one of the most important aspects for Investors.

12. Drax7

Drax7 Active Member

the mobileye chip and algorithm is the Intel inside these systems.

the rest is about integrating with the cars mechanical systems

13. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

That sure seems like quite an incorrect/oversimplified analogy since Mobileye analyzes the data as well.
    Various Mobileye videos have them explaining how they analyze the information.
    Tesla appears to be using the output from Mobileye. Various Mobileye videos show Audi's driving hands off.

Again, I'm very impressed with Tesla's work but most credit goes to Mobileye.

14. Drax7

Drax7 Active Member

you misunderstood me, I agree MobileMe is the real deal here.
    Their mobileye chip and algorithm are the brains behind computer vision
    mobileye sells mostly to auto suppliers, except in Teslas case, where they
    sell directly to car manufacturer.
    Of course Teslas car integration is unique to tesla

mobileye processes the camera image and selects the cars path
    their artificial intelligence algorithms coupled with their chip processor
    are the brains in these systems.

15. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

My apologies. Thanks for your follow up.

16. electracity

electracity Active Member

Lidar v. optical is perhaps the more important aspect. If you believe Straubel, Tesla isn't pursuing an autonomous car at this point. Google says they will have one by 2020.

17. jhm

jhm Active Member

Honestly, I've been disappointed in how well the Model S perceives the road and objects on it. Cars have to be fairly close and in motion for Mobile Eye to detect it. Coming around curves, up or down a hill will all delay the time it takes to detect the car right in front of you. So the worst is coming around a curve upon a car that is not in motion. My car has to engage emergency braking in that sort of situation, even though with my natural eyes it is quite easy to anticipate the need to come to a stop. Tesla needs to give more attention to street driving, stop sign and red light reading, and reading braking and turning signals of the car ahead. In all, there needs to be better anticipation of the need to stop. Whether Mobile Eye is up for this remains to be seen.

That said, I am very happy to see the progress Tesla has made with AP. I use it as much as possible. I'm just eager to see this technology to evolve, especially as so much advancement can be delivered with OTA upgrades.

Oh yeah, the navigation system needs a major upgrade. It really does a poor job at route selection and does not take any user input on the matter. Google Map is far superior in route selection and user input. Tesla may do well to select a navigation vendor or allow third-party nav apps. Top quality navigation is an absolute requirement for autonomous cars. Even with the autopilot framework, where you could set a destination and allow the car to make turns under driver supervision, I would not trust the current navigation system to make sensible route choices.

18. blakegallagher

I think the biggest advantage of the Tesla AP has not really been seen. Elon mentioned within a week or two they would be noticeably smarter as the Cars learn from each other. Think of the difference of having a few engineering cars and tens of thousands of daily drivers logging miles everyday.

It is technically only for highways right now and still in beta so I think the things you were disappointed on where somewhat unrealistic to expect at this stage but I hope to see them implemented soon.

19. Drax7

Drax7 Active Member

Amnon the lead scientist /engineer at mobileye ,says for proper path recognition a car needs three
    Frontal cameras, one to focus nearby, one to focus far away and another for 180 degree vision.
    Tesla has only one, this is still the early stage.

20. anxman

anxman Member

Autopilot should not be used on surface streets -- just as you wouldn't use cruise control either. Autopilot is for highway usage.