Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot: What happens if you fall asleep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whether you have fallen asleep or fallen ill, the situation is unsafe anyway and risk has increased. Its certainly a better outcome than the car just continuing on but I'd also prefer the car to pull off the road.

Around where I live, there are many places where there is no "off the road" except into a ditch or over a bank. The car will do AP on two lane roads, remember. It is much safer to just slow and stop with the hazards flashing. If there were people, cyclists, cars parked, etc., "off the road" could do a lot of damage. The car is only aware of the road.

Just returned from a 3,600 mile trip in my X that included the length of Nevada, twice! In both directions, on the uninhaited I-80, with miles open in both directions, I let Tess nag me and I ignored her. I was going about 75 and she eventually started to slow down with almost full regen. At about 40 mph the flashers came on. That's what I wanted to see. The flashers make all the difference, IMHO.