Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopolit upgrade option removed from Tesla site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my car yesterday 5/14/2016. It doesn't came with the autopilot. I thought it come with a 30days trail. As I asked, "no" is the answer. "It has to be a recent order" to have that 30 days trail offer. Again, unfair treatment for the early ordering. DS and customer services told me there is nothing they can do, and without even showing they are willing to give a try. OK, that's fine.
They told me to purchase the option on Tesla.com. I asked: "what happen if I don't like it". They replied, you can always come here to test out the autopilot before purchase. OK, that's fine.
I am siting in front of a computer, trying to purchase the $3000 autopilot upgrade, guess what? It is no longer available. Not for Model S and not for Model X. Not OK, and that's not fine.
Now some of you may ask, why don't you get it when building it and ordering it? Well, I believe it is my option as long as I know it is a option. I understand it is little cheaper to build it in. But, I have 2 kids. I want to make sure it is safe and work for me before purchasing it.
As of today, right now, on build Model X page, it is clearly printed as "enable after delivery for $3000".
Tesla, this is not OK by my standard.

Struggling..................................

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    106.6 KB · Views: 101
I also opted not to purchase the AP at build, assuming it would be avail after delivery whenever I chose.

I also was expecting the AP trial to be available (based on recent reports), but I thought a new version of FW would offer that. I haven't seen the trial and I'm OK without it, but I thought it might be nice and actually have a good chance of making me add it much sooner than I would otherwise. (I had the classic S, so never used AP other than a 10 minute trial driving someone else's X. A 30 day trial would give me the chance to see if I really thought I'd use it or not in real life to be worth it).

If the ability to buy it after the fact isn't there, I'll live, but I'll be pretty disappointed at losing the option as it was clearly offered. With the the rear-facing seats on the S, when it went to a build-only option, they at least they told me so I could decide.

For now, I'm assuming it is a glitch that it's gone (and yes it was there online before), or it can still be done by calling. Let's see...

Until you've actually called your service center and confirmed you can't get Auto Pilot enabled, I wouldn't be getting myself all worked up. Maybe they took it off the website to reduce expectations of instantly enabling it. On old "40" Model S it sometimes took multiple days to enable access to the full 60 battery.

Reactions: newtman
That's weird I forgot to click the AP option when I ordered my X and I had the SC turn it on a few weeks ago. I will bet as part of the 30 day trial at the end there will be an option to call tesla and pay for it. Trust me tesla will take your 3k :)

I really like the AP I use it all the time on the freeway. So much more relaxing to commute but there is an eerie phase you go through until you get used to it :eek:

I'm in a similar boat...I didn't order Autopilot with my X, and I leased it, so I'm wondering if there is a reduced-price option for people leasing the vehicle, since we will only benefit from it for a limited time (until the lease is up), so it doesn't make sense to charge us the full price for the upgrade. Although, to be honest, I'm not really all that excited about it, yet...maybe a long road trip will make me regret my decision.

If you haven't ordered a vehicle with AP, I wouldn't worry. I noticed Tesla take post-delivery AP off the site late last week, but it's my guess that they're changing something (price, features, etc.) and needed to take it off temporarily. I would expect it to come back online in a few weeks with some new changes. I'm hoping for AP 2.0!

Elon did recently tweet that some surprises were coming...

Speaking of Auto Pilot I just noticed yesterday that while traveling with a bike rack you can't engage it. Anyone else have this issue? Is there a go around for this? Bummer as most of my trips I'll want to have a bike rack on my 2 inch hitch.

FYI: At first I was having sensor issues as the bike rack was there but then I put it on trailer mode and that stopped the sensors from being engaged in back but I couldn't do AP.

Speaking of Auto Pilot I just noticed yesterday that while traveling with a bike rack you can't engage it. Anyone else have this issue? Is there a go around for this? Bummer as most of my trips I'll want to have a bike rack on my 2 inch hitch.FYI: At first I was having sensor issues as the bike rack was there but then I put it on trailer mode and that stopped the sensors from being engaged in back but I couldn't do AP.
FYI..hope it helps
Autopilot Autosteer with bike or cargo rack

• Helpful
Reactions: MichealW