Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autosteering Compared to Competitors. Is it Better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Ping-Ponging" probably comes from older systems trying to keep the car centered in the lane between the lines. Tesla and newer designs seems to prefer to follow the right line (on left hand drive cars) with an offset. This approach seems to work well, especially with a car to follow on radar. But it might also produce the car going off the highway onto the exit ramp at night with no car to follow. Tesla may fix this occasional error by accumulating the occurrences and adding a fix by GPS data.

It appears Tesla is doing just that. First, Elon said as much during the Autopilot press conference, and second, people are finding that after a week of driving, the tendency for the car to take a premature freeway exit from the rightmost lane has decreased dramatically.

Finally an article that actually gives the "real" capabilities of the Mercedes auto steer compared to Tesla. I have read so many posts saying, "my so and so (plug in your favorite - Ford F150, Mercedes, Infinity, Toyota, etc. etc. etc. has had this feature for years" I think most of those posters are posers because there really isn't another auto-pilot type system even comparable to Tesla as of yet. Watch videos of these other systems at work and see for yourself. Not the manufacture created ones but real life examples.

related article comparing the two Autopilot Showdown: Tesla P85D vs Mercedes E63S Wagon

Finally an article that actually gives the "real" capabilities of the Mercedes auto steer compared to Tesla. I have read so many posts saying, "my so and so (plug in your favorite - Ford F150, Mercedes, Infinity, Toyota, etc. etc. etc. has had this feature for years" I think most of those posters are posers because there really isn't another auto-pilot type system even comparable to Tesla as of yet. Watch videos of these other systems at work and see for yourself. Not the manufacture created ones but real life examples.

related article comparing the two Autopilot Showdown: Tesla P85D vs Mercedes E63S Wagon

Nice write up, but the article says this:

Both cars require you to “resume” after you have stopped for 3 seconds or more when the car in front of you stops.

The 3 second "hold" has disappeared for me in v7.0 whether I'm driving with auto steer or just TACC. I don't know if 30 second hold remains, but I know it routinely resumes after a period of longer than 3 seconds, highway or city. I've only seen "hold" once since v7 and I don't know why. AP was engaged, I suspect the car couldn't read the lane markings but I can't confirm because I haven't seen it happen since.

The 3 second "hold" has disappeared for me in v7.0 whether I'm driving with auto steer or just TACC. I don't know if 30 second hold remains, but I know it routinely resumes after a period of longer than 3 seconds, highway or city. I've only seen "hold" once since v7 and I don't know why. AP was engaged, I suspect the car couldn't read the lane markings but I can't confirm because I haven't seen it happen since.

From this video @ 5:00

It goes from stop to go in 36 seconds, without having any driver input. So it most likely couldn't see the lane markings.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd say this is pretty close.

Infiniti Q50 Active Lane Control - Selfdriving Car - YouTube

Until GM launches supercruise later this year, nothing comes close to Tesla's implementation in any country for all aspects of control on highways.

The 4-5 month replacement of the 2016 Volt, with the 2017 next March, is related to adaptive cruise. I haven't followed "supercruise", but what are the chances Volt gets more than we currently know about?

The 3 second "hold" has disappeared for me in v7.0
+1

Gotta love those concept videos! 8 radars was also mentioned. But what made me laugh is how the narrator says "equipped with the right hard and software" Who thinks hardware is one word?

Anyway, here's to hoping Merc puts that thing in the hands of customers soon. 3 cameras and 8 radars would make quite a safe car.

Supercruise will no doubt debut in Cadillac style, but it would be great if they did it sooner rather than later and on as many cars as they can validate.