Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backed my inventory P85D into a pole 5 minutes before delivery.. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is unfortunate. I imagine you're disappointed. After stewing on what happened for a while, I would accept the car with a couple conditions. Have them throw in maintenance for the 8 years. That entire bumper is one molding, so they'll pull it off and pop in a new one. The trunk can be replaced with a new trunk. There appears to be absolutely no mechanical issues just aesthetics. Once there is a new bumper and trunk on it, you will not be able to tell the difference at all in color shade or anything it will look like it was brand-new off the Assembly line. After all this is behind you you're going to absolutely love the car congratulations.

I do not believe that Tesla is going to offer any additional warranty or free maintenance on this car beyond what is standard with a CPO car. No reason for them to do so. It will be repaired to the CPO standard and the customer can either accept that or decline it and look for another car. I think at is all that Tesla should do other than of course apologizing for the issue.

The big question is if this will be reported on Carfax. I just did some digging and repair shops frequently DO report these replacements to car fax under "Car Serviced - Rear trunk replaced" etc. They won't report it as a car accident, but they very well may report it depending upon the body shop. Anyone have any other insight into this?
Definitely true, and Carfax's site confirms as much (see collision repair facilities). I had a super minor collision that required only a new bumper cover. It was a dirt cheap repair, less than my insurance deductible, so I didn't even bother calling insurance about it. It was on the vehicle's Carfax when I sold it: the repair shop reported the damage as a minor accident totaling less than $500.

In this case, though, I'd be surprised if it showed up. They'll send it to a Tesla Authorized facility or repair it themselves, and in either case they can probably prevent it being reported if you ask.

How the heck did you get $8500 off a P85D that only has 1000 miles? Is it a 2014? That's the only way I can think of. If it's much newer, then Tesla is violating their own policy on how much to discount inventory cars.

I have a Prius that has had 5 accidents:

1) Rear ended - Minor. Bumper repaired.
2) Someone backed into our door - Door repaired.
3) Skunk stepped into front of car while it was going 55 - Lots of damage.
4) Pipe fell of a truck carrying junk and dented front bumper - Bumper repaired.
5) Rear bumper hit by someone backing into it in parking lot - Bumper repaired.

None of them show up on the carfax.

By the way, this was an inventory car with less than 1000 miles discounted by around $8500.

Kind of an important piece of information to leave out. Changes everything. It never was a 'new' car that you'd ordered, therefore you don't get a 'new' car off the factory line. Choices become to accept this CPO car once repaired, or don't accept it and wait until another CPO car becomes available that fits your criteria.

I would only accept factory-painted parts replacement, installed by the service center or under the service center's close supervision, and a written guarantee that this would not be reported to Carfax. I would also ask for something for your inconvenience. If you can't get these basic assurances and a concession for your trouble, I would pass on the car.

Ecarfan - If that's all they do, what about Elon's mantra about "delighting customers"? Do you think your solution would lead to a delightful experience for me or would I be completely pissed off?

This all depends on your expectations going in. If you're expecting a huge discount or an extended warranty on top of the car being fixed, and they don't offer that, you'll be disappointed. If you go in expecting nothing else but the car repaired to perfection, and they throw in a couple of jackets for your inconvenience, you'll be delighted.

Ecarfan - If that's all they do, what about Elon's mantra about "delighting customers"? Do you think your solution would lead to a delightful experience for me or would I be completely pissed off?
I can only speak for myself, but if I was in the situation you describe, I would expect the repair to be handled as I described up thread in my post and then I would decide whether or not to buy the car after viewing the repair results. I would not expect any additional discount or extended warranty or anything else beside an apology for the delay.

You could pass on this car, Tesla returns it to the CPO inventory and someone else buys it. It wasn't new to start with, you can't expect anything else, other then maybe making sure it's not on the Carfax and a free shirt or something. You may want more, but I'm sure they are sorry, but there's not much to it.

I had a paint imperfection on my brand new car, a bad door handle, a scratched mirror on my car. That was all added to the due bill and fixed. I didn't get anything. That's just how things work even on a new car.

I can only speak for myself, but if I was in the situation you describe, I would expect the repair to be handled as I described up thread in my post and then I would decide whether or not to buy the car after viewing the repair results. I would not expect any additional discount or extended warranty or anything else beside an apology for the delay.

When I had four defective Dacor ovens delivered to my house by a local dealer, and after complaining to Dacor, they put one of their factory people into a pickup truck from California and delivered me a beautiful oven free of defects. It was installed by the gentleman from the factory. They also gave me $500 in accessories to make up for the inconvenience and lack of initial quality. Now THAT is customer service!

I don't think it's asking too much for Tesla to give the customer some concessions due to the inconvenience. That's how you make things right. Profits and stock value be damned, we are talking about customer service here.

Krugerrand I didn't leave that info out. I added it to my original post several hours ago and also made a reply with that info.

I'm not the only one who made the comment. Typically nobody goes back 'several hours later' to reread the original post to see if the author made changes. The information was originally left out and was significant, such that you are not entitled to a 'new' off the factory floor car because you never ordered one in the first place.

You can always get an insurance adjuster to provide what's know as a Diminished Value Estimate. This is the amount the car goes down in value as a result of the accident. If it were me I'd use the situation as an opportunity to negotiate the price further down. They may ulimately just fix the car and sell it again, but I wouldn't take it unless there was a concession of some sort on their side.

FWIW - whether or not the CarFax is clean wouldn't be enough for me. A sophisticated buyer of high line cars can use a paint density tester to determine if it's likely paint work has been done. Saw this all the time in buying used Ferraris. CarFax only knows if a repair is reported. People can do repairs privately and keep it out of the records.

I agree with AmpedRealtor.

I don't. The OP was never getting a 'new' oven (car). The OP was getting a CPO car that was already discounted - kind of like buying a 'scratch and dent' oven. Unfortunately the CPO car got further 'scratched and dented'. Tesla is willing to fix it to previous condition. The OP can either accept it after repair or wait for another CPO car to become available that is to his liking.

I bought an inventory car at a deep discount and they also backed into a pole. It was fixed by a local shop and paid for by Tesla. It was not reported to carfax. If they fix it to your satisfaction it will still be a clean carfax car with no depreciated value.