Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backed my inventory P85D into a pole 5 minutes before delivery.. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That said, an inventory car is certainly not a "new" car, as it has likely been driven by dozens (possibly over 100) different people outside of Tesla and would have hundreds of miles on it, likely over 1,000 miles. And that is why it is sold at a discounted price from the list price for a new Tesla.
+1 - Let's be realistic. Both CPO and inventory are, in reality, used cars. We split hairs over the inventory category, calling it "legally new" because of the terms of the Federal tax credit. But in reality, it's used, too.

Yes the car would have been "new to the buyer", but no one would seriously consider it "new".

If you are anal retentive about your car condition id pass on the car and wait for another inventory car to come up.. Took me a month to find my 85D, 50 miles and a 5600 discount... Patience paid off for me.
The discounts on the P85D were big on the higher mileage cars, some were as high as $12,000.... saw a few under 1000 with 2000-5000k off.

If you opt to take delivery the repair will not show up on Carfax or autocheck since its not being run through insurance. Bumper covers cant be checked for paint work with the average paint meter so no one would ever know it was fixed.

Given that we later found out the the car in question was not new, built for the buyer, but an inventory car, I retract this statement. :wink:

And now I hope people understand why the word 'inventory' was added to the title. Not to 'protect' Tesla or add the the general sense that AR has we are worried about Tesla but there was general confusion about what type of car we were talking about. I'm sure that will be lost of some regardless.

The thread title could be interpreted as being contradictory: "brand new inventory"? Inventory cars are not "brand new". They are CPO cars.

Inventory cars are not CPO cars. Inventory cars are new cars that have some mileage on them that were acquired in the course of Tesla business, either demo rides/drives or service loaners, for the most part. CPO cars had individual owners in the past.

Inventory cars are not CPO cars. Inventory cars are new cars that have some mileage on them that were acquired in the course of Tesla business, either demo rides/drives or service loaners, for the most part. CPO cars had individual owners in the past.

If the car had been driven 8,000 miles as a loaner and demo car but never titled you'd still consider that new? Most people think new means it's been driven maybe 50 miles for testing but is otherwise straight from the factory floor.

Last edited:

By that logic, no cars are used cars, they're just new cars that have some mileage on them that were acquired in the course of the owner's business (or pleasure). :)

Clearly inventory cars are not CPO, but nor are they new in the sense that any reasonable person would consider new. They are loaners and store demos.

Lots of speculation here. (OK of a forum)

Probably best to see what Tesla offers this customer before getting too emotional.

Not out of line to expect Tesla to repair this car to factory standards, and perhaps compensate their customer for the delay. They might offer a loaner until the car gets repaired, or something like that.

Seems like Tesla is taking responsibility for this unfortunate accident. They will most likely take a financial hit getting it repaired.

OP looks like he was trying to get a great deal on a pretty new car, and how hopes that he can leverage this incident into an even better deal. This is normal human reasoning. Hope it works out well for him.

I'd wager that, since it's never been titled that it will not receive a carfax report - it is still considered new.

We just looked at a Mercedes for my wife and saw a beautiful model S (how appropriate, right?) that only had about 75 miles on it ... but it had been titled and was canceled after arriving here in the states, had never even been taken off the showroom floor by the original owner. It was "used." If the original owner had taken it for a 3 day spin in the north country but had not yet accepted the car and title, it would still be considered new.

I'm pretty sure that if the damage had occurred at the Tesla factory, they'd fix it an no one would be the wiser, and nothing would be reported to Carfax.

The OP felt his car was a "new" car.
I know it is en vogue right now in our society that "what I feel is right" but this BS seriously gotta stop!

For instance how does the following sound:
I feel that your (Electricfan's) Model S belongs to me, so STFU and send it over here! I feel it, so it must be right!

PM me for the address and my schedule when best to arrange for delivery at my convenience.

/rant

Last edited:
yes its damaged and will be on the car's record. either refuse it completely and demand a brand new one, or make sure you are significantly compensated with cash (not credit).

No it wont be on the cars record, accidents get reported on the CarFax when they are run through insurance or a police report is made.
Paint and Body shops almost never report a non insurance repair. I have seen numerous hi end cars with body/paint work with no indication of a repair on Car Fax or Auto Check.
Best purchase I ever made was a paint meter, I even check new cars that I buy...

By the way, this was an inventory car with less than 1000 miles and discounted significantly. I literally searched for weeks to find this deal about 30 days ago.

Ah, I missed that part --- it's a slightly different ballgame then -- but it's still a brand-new car. It's totally different from CPO, where they would do a repair and it would hit the car's VIN history. I just wouldn't let them throw this into any body shop under your delivered-ownership yet, make them be the "owner repairing the car" making the repair, because if nothing else --- if it hits CarFax/VIN history then you can clarify that it was the manufacturer making a small body repair (something you can say down the line if you sell it). I guess you have to balance this being a great Inventory car deal against what they want to do in terms of fixing it.

And now I hope people understand why the word 'inventory' was added to the title. Not to 'protect' Tesla or add the the general sense that AR has we are worried about Tesla but there was general confusion about what type of car we were talking about. I'm sure that will be lost of some regardless.

It is fine to disagree, of course. I provided my view on why some people are irked by such changes. It is not because clarifications are bad, it is because they seem to focus mostly on topics where hurting Tesla is a concern and they may be fairly nit-picky in nature there. There seems to be in inherent concern on TMC about such things, that is not present when discussing say a competitor's woe.

It may not have anything to do with you. Sometimes it may be public pressure from some readers.

I did not realize this was an inventory car, but my earlier statement stands. I'd its a lease, fine, as the residual is the same and the discount I'm getting off the sales price is factored into the lease. If it is a purchase, if I felt that it was unlikely for me to find a similar car and discount and tesla is going to give me something for my troubles, then I might accept it. If I thought I could find a different inventory car with similar options and discount, I'd pass. I'm sure in this case tesla would allow the deposit to be transferred.

My last P85 was an inventory purchase. It had been damaged on a test drive, and Tesla had to repaint an entire panel (in multicoat red). Nobody could tell the difference, and it wasn't on the carfax. It was a good deal, so I certainly didn't care.

Honestly, if Tesla gives you anything beyond maybe a loaner for two weeks I would be shocked. They could simply sell it to someone else, especially if it is a good deal already.

Seems odd you had to wait a month for an inventory car though.

It is fine to disagree, of course. I provided my view on why some people are irked by such changes. It is not because clarifications are bad, it is because they seem to focus mostly on topics where hurting Tesla is a concern and they may be fairly nit-picky in nature there. There seems to be in inherent concern on TMC about such things, that is not present when discussing say a competitor's woe.

It may not have anything to do with you. Sometimes it may be public pressure from some readers.

Please. There was no public pressure to change this title or any title. If a title isn't clear or has nothing to do with the topic of the thread it gets changed. No hidden agenda. Really not too complex and no conspiracy theories needed.

I have had more or less exactly the same damage on mine. It's not an inexpensive fix (the rear bumper/diffuser part alone is almost 3.000 USD (un-painted) and its a whole new hatch. No big deal to change the parts for Tesla. I would offer them to buy it (fixed) at a discount of 10.000 USD or back out and reserve a new one. Simple deal say yes or no.