TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla backing away from "Phone Key as primary key"

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by watilo, Jul 25, 2018.

?

How often does Phone Key work for you?

1. Android - 100% of the time

12.5%
  2. Android - 75%-99% of the time

15.0%
  3. Android - <75% of the time

7.3%
  4. iPhone - 100% of the time

40.6%
  5. iPhone - 75%-99% of the time

21.1%
  6. iPhone - <75% of the time

3.6%
  1. andremc

andremc Member

One could argue the same for those having phone key issues. If we have a number of people reporting few to no issues, that would imply that the design is not the issue.

2. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

The bugs will never be all worked out with this system. Tesla only controls ONE side of a TWO sided system. All their other cutting edge tech can be perfected because they control all of it. As long as tesla is using other manufacturers' phones as keys to tesla cars, it will never be as reliable as a fob. Maybe it'll work for a while with certain phones, then new phones or new OS will come out and it'll be screwed up again. A lot of customers want things to JUST WORK more than they want to feel super futuristic.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  3. watilo

watilo Member

@andremc I'm coming from a car that had a key fob that worked flawlessly (Lexus) and it never had to come out of my pocket, so having to reach into my pocket to pull out a key card - while a first-world problem - actually is an inconvenience. The bigger problem is that, since the Phone Key is as convenient as a key fob you never have to remove from your pocket, I want to use it as much as possible vs. just switching to the key card. But when you walk up to your car and it doesn't work, it ends up being pretty annoying.

• Like x 2
  4. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Maybe they'll just get it over with and make a Bluetooth "fob" for people who don't like the phone unlock. As minimal of a low power bluetooth device as possible, perhaps low enough power to allow for kinetic charging.

• Like x 1
  5. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

OK, I got my wallet out and used the card and sit in the car and used the card to "start" the car. Now I have to put the card back in my wallet and then put my wallet back in my pants while sitting down. AWKWARD! If I leave the black card on the black console while driving it will fall down somewhere between the black seats and the black carpet. They should have a slot for it to stay in. When I get out I need to retrieve my wallet and get the card out again. Compare to my Prius, I walk up to a locked car, open the door and drive away. No fumbling with my wallet.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  6. andremc

andremc Member

Isn’t that what the key card is, only shaped differently?

7. andremc

andremc Member

I’ve tested mine, and it worked through my wallet. Maybe I’m special.

Look, I get the inconvenience of having something that should work 100% of the time, but doesn’t. I really do. Those who are having issues aren’t wrong for being annoyed when it doesn’t work. That’s a legitimate concern.

My gripe is that some are acting as if the phone is the only way to get into the car, and when it fails, they’re locked out completely. Because, like @slipinslider said, Tesla only owns one side of the tech, they knew there would be situations that were beyond the users’ control. That’s why they gave us the key card.

Let me pose this: if Tesla initially said, “the key card is your primary key, and we’ve given you the option to use your phone as a key,” would there be so much disappointment?

8. dusdev

dusdev Member

In my opinion it’s taking a huge step backwards. The key card is NFC close range. Fobs work at a distance and don’t have to be positioned perfectly. My current car detects if I accidentally leave the fob in the trunk and close the trunk. It automatically pops the trunk open, cool eh? The fob is tech from 2010. Fast forward to Tesla’s key card, and it doesn’t work as well and doesn’t have any advantage to me as a consumer.

• Like x 3
  9. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

considering that most uf us have probably been able to lock/unlock their cars and open their trunks from several dozen meters away for the last 20 years........

YES, because that would`ve sounded like a step back into the 80s.

Tesla sold the absence of the fob with the smartphone taking its place as the "new and cool" way to do it.
    And if you do stuff like that you better make sure it always works with all brands, and if you can`t do that for one of the most basic comfort features of a car, then don`t do it at all.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  10. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Key card is NFC, not bluetooth. Passive, short range.

• Informative x 1
  11. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Hey Karen, where've you been? I would like you to make a key fob like Toyota's SKS (Smart Key System) fob. I haven't had one failure in 4+ years. Fob (MUCH smaller than a smartphone) never leaves my pocket. Sign my up!

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Very poor characterization of the desire to have a reliable key fob with your vehicle rather than requiring a separately purchased device from another manufacturer that is less reliable.

A nit would be not liking the color or texture of the key fob surface.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Pretty much a literal example of "barrier to entry" for purchasers.

• Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Tip: Put it in a different pocket from your phone.

• Helpful x 1
  15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Yes please.

• Helpful x 1
  16. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

As another example of fob having issues. My 2015 STi had this weird quirk where if I locked the car with my fob and then realize I forgot something, hitting the unlock button would not work. No matter how many times I clicked. No unlock. I had to count to 10 then unlock would work. It was annoying. So YMMV

17. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

I've never had a problem with fobs on other cars except decreasing range as the battery begins to die, but that is solved with a new battery.

• Like x 1
  18. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Mostly over on Model 3 Owners Club. Sorry, they snagged me ;) I just dropped by to leave an a note about the Model 3 Owners Survey, and ended up hanging around for a couple threads ;)

19. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

#99 AustinPowers, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Yes, because believe it or not, there are lots of people who want a hassle-free experience, and the approach Tesla went for the Model 3 just doesn't fit that bill.
    It is no deal breaker for me (I personally know people who didn't reserve a Model 3 exactly for this reason though), but a major annoyance that I hope Tesla will remedy someday. No other automaker went this direction with any other car, only Tesla with the Model 3. Even the S and X have keyfobs, and for good reason.
    Like others have pointed out, the app as an additional means of entry would have been fine. Getting rid of the keyfob entirely was a major mistake.

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  20. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

For a start, never has a fob failed me on any car I have ever driven in almost 25 years. Reliable 100% of the time, no kidding.

Second, no, the card is no real fob replacement. If you don't have a smartphone (at all or with you for whatever reason), you can't use the card like you can use a fob. You want to open the trunk or frunk. What do you do?

On the S or the X (or any other car for that matter) you
    1) press the button on the fob.
    2) drop in your luggage/groceries/whatever. No problem.

On the 3, you have to
    1) find a spot to put down whatever it is you are carrying.
    2) use the card to open the car.
    3) get in the car.
    4) go into the screen menu to open the trunk or frunk (however easy or complicated that might be).
    5) get out of the car again.
    6) pick up all your stuff again.
    7) then drop your stuff in the trunk or frunk.

Rain or shine by the way.

Or is there any other method?

Now are you seriously telling me that you don't understand that there are loads of people who are put off by that prospect and who think Tesla acted idiotically by cheaping out of providing a fob?

Because that's the really annoying thing - it is not that Tesla is forward thinking in only providing the app.
    It is simply cost-cutting at its worst. No other way to put it.
    There is a reason no other manufacturer does this you know!

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1