Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backing away from "Phone Key as primary key"

How often does Phone Key work for you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesn’t do “proven technology”. When you buy a Tesla you should expect to be on the cutting edge. Unfortunately that sometimes turns out to be a bleeding edge until the bugs get worked out.
The bugs will never be all worked out with this system. Tesla only controls ONE side of a TWO sided system. All their other cutting edge tech can be perfected because they control all of it. As long as tesla is using other manufacturers' phones as keys to tesla cars, it will never be as reliable as a fob. Maybe it'll work for a while with certain phones, then new phones or new OS will come out and it'll be screwed up again. A lot of customers want things to JUST WORK more than they want to feel super futuristic.

I agree about convenience, but that’s different from not having an alternative to the phone. Until we got our Model 3, I had to reach into my pocket for my wife’s key to her Honda Civic any time I went to the car. Inconvenient, but that’s the way cars have historically worked. That’s why I’m baffled by the outrage when people have to use the card. It’s the same exact thing, only a different shape.
@andremc I'm coming from a car that had a key fob that worked flawlessly (Lexus) and it never had to come out of my pocket, so having to reach into my pocket to pull out a key card - while a first-world problem - actually is an inconvenience. The bigger problem is that, since the Phone Key is as convenient as a key fob you never have to remove from your pocket, I want to use it as much as possible vs. just switching to the key card. But when you walk up to your car and it doesn't work, it ends up being pretty annoying.

Here’s what I don’t get about the feigned outrage: you do have a fob that works 100% of the time. It’s shaped like a credit card and fits in your wallet.

Lastly, the phone is still the primary key. Here’s a snippet of the email I got from my delivery agent the other day.

Again, if the phone key isn’t your taste or isn’t working as well as advertised for you, that’s fine. But let’s not pretend that they didn’t give you another key that works perfectly fine to do everything you need.

OK, I got my wallet out and used the card and sit in the car and used the card to "start" the car. Now I have to put the card back in my wallet and then put my wallet back in my pants while sitting down. AWKWARD! If I leave the black card on the black console while driving it will fall down somewhere between the black seats and the black carpet. They should have a slot for it to stay in. When I get out I need to retrieve my wallet and get the card out again. Compare to my Prius, I walk up to a locked car, open the door and drive away. No fumbling with my wallet.

OK, I got my wallet out and used the card and sit in the car and used the card to "start" the car. Now I have to put the card back in my wallet and then put my wallet back in my pants while sitting down. AWKWARD! If I leave the black card on the black console while driving it will fall down somewhere between the black seats and the black carpet. They should have a slot for it to stay in. When I get out I need to retrieve my wallet and get the card out again. Compare to my Prius, I walk up to a locked car, open the door and drive away. No fumbling with my wallet.

I’ve tested mine, and it worked through my wallet. Maybe I’m special.

Look, I get the inconvenience of having something that should work 100% of the time, but doesn’t. I really do. Those who are having issues aren’t wrong for being annoyed when it doesn’t work. That’s a legitimate concern.

My gripe is that some are acting as if the phone is the only way to get into the car, and when it fails, they’re locked out completely. Because, like @slipinslider said, Tesla only owns one side of the tech, they knew there would be situations that were beyond the users’ control. That’s why they gave us the key card.

Let me pose this: if Tesla initially said, “the key card is your primary key, and we’ve given you the option to use your phone as a key,” would there be so much disappointment?

I’ve tested mine, and it worked through my wallet. Maybe I’m special.

Look, I get the inconvenience of having something that should work 100% of the time, but doesn’t. I really do. Those who are having issues aren’t wrong for being annoyed when it doesn’t work. That’s a legitimate concern.

My gripe is that some are acting as if the phone is the only way to get into the car, and when it fails, they’re locked out completely. Because, like @slipinslider said, Tesla only owns one side of the tech, they knew there would be situations that were beyond the users’ control. That’s why they gave us the key card.

Let me pose this: if Tesla initially said, “the key card is your primary key, and we’ve given you the option to use your phone as a key,” would there be so much disappointment?

In my opinion it’s taking a huge step backwards. The key card is NFC close range. Fobs work at a distance and don’t have to be positioned perfectly. My current car detects if I accidentally leave the fob in the trunk and close the trunk. It automatically pops the trunk open, cool eh? The fob is tech from 2010. Fast forward to Tesla’s key card, and it doesn’t work as well and doesn’t have any advantage to me as a consumer.

considering that most uf us have probably been able to lock/unlock their cars and open their trunks from several dozen meters away for the last 20 years........

YES, because that would`ve sounded like a step back into the 80s.

Tesla sold the absence of the fob with the smartphone taking its place as the "new and cool" way to do it.
And if you do stuff like that you better make sure it always works with all brands, and if you can`t do that for one of the most basic comfort features of a car, then don`t do it at all.

Maybe they'll just get it over with and make a Bluetooth "fob" for people who don't like the phone unlock. As minimal of a low power bluetooth device as possible, perhaps low enough power to allow for kinetic charging.
Hey Karen, where've you been? I would like you to make a key fob like Toyota's SKS (Smart Key System) fob. I haven't had one failure in 4+ years. Fob (MUCH smaller than a smartphone) never leaves my pocket. Sign my up!

It would be crazy if one's car buying decision is solely predicated on such a non material nit.
Very poor characterization of the desire to have a reliable key fob with your vehicle rather than requiring a separately purchased device from another manufacturer that is less reliable.

A nit would be not liking the color or texture of the key fob surface.

This ^. Some potential Model 3 owners are perfectly willing to live with the "will it or won't it?" uncertainty. Some are not. My worry is that early adopters are a lot more willing to put up with crap of all sorts, and that once Model 3 (finally) is released into the wilds of the base model market, the Tesla brand (and EV's in general, by extension) will take an own-goal hit. Put your phone in this pocket. No, that, pocket. Open the app. Close the app. Reboot. Switch BT off, then on. Try running Tasker. And if none of that works, put your groceries down (in the rain?), fish out a card from your wallet/purse (hope the neighborhood is safe), and tap it just so and right there.
Seriously? You want me to do what to open/close/lock my car?
Pretty much a literal example of "barrier to entry" for purchasers.

As another example of fob having issues. My 2015 STi had this weird quirk where if I locked the car with my fob and then realize I forgot something, hitting the unlock button would not work. No matter how many times I clicked. No unlock. I had to count to 10 then unlock would work. It was annoying. So YMMV

Hey Karen, where've you been? I would like you to make a key fob like Toyota's SKS (Smart Key System) fob. I haven't had one failure in 4+ years. Fob (MUCH smaller than a smartphone) never leaves my pocket. Sign my up!

Mostly over on Model 3 Owners Club. Sorry, they snagged me ;) I just dropped by to leave an a note about the Model 3 Owners Survey, and ended up hanging around for a couple threads ;)

I don't understand this. Lack of a traditional fob is really a deal breaker on what most people agree is a great car?

Yes, because believe it or not, there are lots of people who want a hassle-free experience, and the approach Tesla went for the Model 3 just doesn't fit that bill.
It is no deal breaker for me (I personally know people who didn't reserve a Model 3 exactly for this reason though), but a major annoyance that I hope Tesla will remedy someday. No other automaker went this direction with any other car, only Tesla with the Model 3. Even the S and X have keyfobs, and for good reason.
Like others have pointed out, the app as an additional means of entry would have been fine. Getting rid of the keyfob entirely was a major mistake.

Last edited:
Here’s what I don’t get about the feigned outrage: you do have a fob that works 100% of the time. It’s shaped like a credit card and fits in your wallet.
Think of your current (non-Tesla) car. If the fob fails, what do you do? You use the physics key to do what you need to do. It’s the same as the key card.

For a start, never has a fob failed me on any car I have ever driven in almost 25 years. Reliable 100% of the time, no kidding.

Second, no, the card is no real fob replacement. If you don't have a smartphone (at all or with you for whatever reason), you can't use the card like you can use a fob. You want to open the trunk or frunk. What do you do?

On the S or the X (or any other car for that matter) you
1) press the button on the fob.
2) drop in your luggage/groceries/whatever. No problem.

On the 3, you have to
1) find a spot to put down whatever it is you are carrying.
2) use the card to open the car.
3) get in the car.
4) go into the screen menu to open the trunk or frunk (however easy or complicated that might be).
5) get out of the car again.
6) pick up all your stuff again.
7) then drop your stuff in the trunk or frunk.

Rain or shine by the way.

Or is there any other method?

Now are you seriously telling me that you don't understand that there are loads of people who are put off by that prospect and who think Tesla acted idiotically by cheaping out of providing a fob?

Because that's the really annoying thing - it is not that Tesla is forward thinking in only providing the app.
It is simply cost-cutting at its worst. No other way to put it.
There is a reason no other manufacturer does this you know!