Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backing away from "Phone Key as primary key"

How often does Phone Key work for you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, the Lexus was purchased in 2008. Did you not read the post to which you are replying?

the only thing lazy here seems to be your reading- since yo now make it obvious he didn't read the whole post you are quoting.

Since it makes exceedingly clear this is not a "deal breaker" at all.

It's just an example of a place where a car that is phenomenal in so many ways is lacking a basic function so many other cars got right 10+ years ago. (I even gave another example of such elsewhere in the post after you apparently had stopped reading it regarding the media stuff)

Not only is the feature not silly- many vehicles from other brands offer it now too because it's useful and works well.

It wouldn't be "the" reason I'd buy something, but it's certainly a useful feature.

You mean more than you already have? :)

And I'm saying maybe actually read the whole post you're replying to next time so you don't go off about stuff that's the opposite of what the post actually said?

Man that’s a lot of typing there Hondo. Maybe the equivalent of like five key card uses. However did you manage the strain? You must be ready to give up on keyboards now lol. :D

I'll be a little more direct in response to your surliness: If you're so lazy you can't be bothered to get a little card from your pocket, I guess it's material sure. Most of the alternatives from other manufacturers require a button to be pushed on a FOB or on the door handle to unlock. Net effort seems the same to me.

Did you at all read what I wrote about why the card isn't a worthy fob replacement?
The difference I described in how you have to go about when wanting to open the trunk/frunk with the card?
Obviously not, or else your answer wouldn't make sense.

It's not about laziness. It's about a big difference. Like I said, with a fob, I press a button to open the trunk, put in my stuff, get in the car and drive away. How do you do that with the card? From what I have read there is no way to open the trunk or frunk by holding the card to some point on the trunk/frunk, but instead you have to get in the car first, open the trunk/frunk from the menu on the screen, then get out again and stow your stuff, then get back in the car. Or has that changed?

Reactions: BioSehnsucht

Attachments

• Model 3 - two new keycards.png
    Model 3 - two new keycards.png
    364.8 KB · Views: 78
Since the news about the Android app battery monitoring tip came out, there have been ZERO issues for me and the phone key.

Before that, there were a few incidences of slowness. Like 10-15 seconds before the app woke up. Now, I can't remember where the delay has been more than a 1-count. Most of the time it's ready before I touch the handle.

--Carlos V.

Settings->Battery->The 3 dots in the upper right->Battery Optimization.

Set the Tesla app to "Don't Optimize". You may have to switch the pulldown to "All Apps" to find the Tesla App.

Edit: This is with the stock Android. See your favorite vendor's documentation (Huawei, Samsung, etc.) if they've modified the battery optimization menu.

--Carlos "Pixel 2 XL" V.

Last edited:
FYI on my HTC One m9 (a 2015 model, but HTC upgraded them to Android 7.0), setting it to not optimize battery didn't help any. If the screen is off, it may or may not work. If it doesn't work, waking the screen (not even unlocking the phone) has worked all but once.

I have now purchased tasker and will try having it cycle BT connectivity every hour and see if that helps as it seemed to help some people.

This may be a $5 part for Tesla but you can be sure that will cost a lot more than that to replace.

Source? That was my thoughts initially, but I've heard otherwise.

Proximity cards cards in bulk cost less than $2/ea (just ordered some) so I figured it should be cheap for customers to replace lost cards.

I just had a third one added. Tech told me it's a $5 charge, but they charged me $0. (I was in for a minor issue--charge port door replacement)

FWIW, I have had zero issues with phone key since the car updated to 2018.24.8 last week. Too soon to call it conclusive, but it's a good sign.

• Helpful
Reactions: CuriousG
My phone has worked fine so far. 5 days in total.
I also have a Prius with Smart key and the fob worked well...except when the battery went dead. When you approached the car it sensed you and when you touched the door handle it unlocked. However sometimes you had to let go and grab it again if you ran up too quickly.

My complaint is that the car automatically locks when you walk away after a few seconds. When I am at home, in the garage, I don't want this to happen. But when I'm anywhere else I do want this. On the Prius I could just tap the door handle and it would lock...or I could skip this.

I think the valet key cards are a good idea (as a backup)

Mike