Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backing away from "Phone Key as primary key"

How often does Phone Key work for you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can disable walk away lock I think (car settings > locks or perhaps security, maybe hit the gear icon in top right if it's not on the main settings screen? don't recall precisely where), but it's either on or off, no option to do it based on location.

My phone has worked fine so far. 5 days in total.
I also have a Prius with Smart key and the fob worked well...except when the battery went dead. When you approached the car it sensed you and when you touched the door handle it unlocked. However sometimes you had to let go and grab it again if you ran up too quickly.

My complaint is that the car automatically locks when you walk away after a few seconds. When I am at home, in the garage, I don't want this to happen. But when I'm anywhere else I do want this. On the Prius I could just tap the door handle and it would lock...or I could skip this.

I think the valet key cards are a good idea (as a backup)

Mike

I was wondering about this situation (leave car unlocked at home). I thought one way to work around it is to leave the door closed but unlatched, which should prevent it from locking. It's stupid to have to even consider this... But until they have an option for leave unlocked at home

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I was wondering about this situation (leave car unlocked at home). I thought one way to work around it is to leave the door closed but unlatched, which should prevent it from locking. It's stupid to have to even consider this... But until they have an option for leave unlocked at home

My wife has sometimes not closed the door fully on our 3. What I have noticed is that the light stay on (not sure how long), and the climate control continues to work (again, not sure how long). I can hear the roar of the cooling fans from inside the house, so I go outside to shut the door completely and everything shuts down.

One would think that there could be an easy fix to have a selection to leave car unlocked at the "home" location. But I know nothing about how to make computers do their voodoo.

Reactions: dusdev
My phone has worked fine so far. 5 days in total.
I also have a Prius with Smart key and the fob worked well...except when the battery went dead. When you approached the car it sensed you and when you touched the door handle it unlocked. However sometimes you had to let go and grab it again if you ran up too quickly.

My complaint is that the car automatically locks when you walk away after a few seconds. When I am at home, in the garage, I don't want this to happen. But when I'm anywhere else I do want this. On the Prius I could just tap the door handle and it would lock...or I could skip this.

I think the valet key cards are a good idea (as a backup)

Mike

Complete use case failure in my opinion. This really ought to be fixed for a genuine positive experience with the door lock functionality.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew and SVMike
has anyone else noticed that walk away lock either doesn't always work or doesn't update in the app? i went into the grocery store this afternoon and while inside checked my phone, and it said the car was unlocked...i have no way of knowing if it actually was or not, but i tapped the lock button just to be safe.

has anyone else noticed that walk away lock either doesn't always work or doesn't update in the app? i went into the grocery store this afternoon and while inside checked my phone, and it said the car was unlocked...i have no way of knowing if it actually was or not, but i tapped the lock button just to be safe.
With 2018.26 you should be able to turn on the horn for lock confirmation.

In my experience, walk away lock always works, as long as you didn't unlock previously with the key card. If using the key card to unlock, you must also use it to lock.

that actually makes sense...i can't remember if i had to use the card or not immediately prior to this.

the one thing i have noticed (which was interesting to me) is that on the occasion where i have to use the card (which is almost all the time) to unlock the car, the phone key then subsequently works for driving the car. i.e. i walk up to the car, try to open the door. the door doesn't open, the screen says "tap key card to unlock." i do that. then i sit down and press the brake, and the car is in gear (without tapping the card on the console, which means the phone key is suddenly working to drive after not working to unlock). the whole thing is just strange...

Reactions: SVMike
Once you get the car to prompt for the key card, have you tried waking your phone up? Nearly always that will get it to connect and use phone key for me. I actually have more problems with the car being slow to wake to even get to that point (and then having to wait for the natural time it takes to authenticate that it should have done as I approached), versus the phone itself (if the phone was the issue, then the screen should immediately prompt for card as soon as I try the door - more often than not that takes a couple seconds to come up, though sometimes I do have to wake my phone before BT connects)

Once you get the car to prompt for the key card, have you tried waking your phone up? Nearly always that will get it to connect and use phone key for me. I actually have more problems with the car being slow to wake to even get to that point (and then having to wait for the natural time it takes to authenticate that it should have done as I approached), versus the phone itself (if the phone was the issue, then the screen should immediately prompt for card as soon as I try the door - more often than not that takes a couple seconds to come up, though sometimes I do have to wake my phone before BT connects)

i haven't, but i'll try to remember to do that next time it happens. i haven't seen the need to do that though since it apparently already recognized the phone key after i tapped the card on the door to unlock...it had to, right? otherwise it would have made me tap the card on the console to actually allow driving...