Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backing away from "Phone Key as primary key"

How often does Phone Key work for you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely disagree. My iPhone X has worked flawlessly since day 1. I've never had an issue. They NAILED it.
I disagree, and I've never had my phone fail to unlock. To open my frunk, I have to:

1. Pull my iPhone 6s+ out of my pocket
2. Unlock my phone with my thumbprint
3. Look at the phone to see my Tesla App in the shortcut bar and launch it.
4. Find the button to tap to unlock the frunk.

- OR -

1. When standing in line at the checkout, grab my big phone, unlock it, open the Tesla app.
2. Hold the big phone awkwardly while walking to the car, hoping the phone doesn't auto-lock itself
3. Look at the phone to find the button to unlock the frunk.

- OR -

1. Go to the car and open the door.
2. Lean in awkwardly or sit in the car.
3. Find the frunk unlock button and unlock it.

I'd much rather know that when I walk out of the store, I'm going to grab my fob from my pocket, which will be a lot smaller than my phone, and then I can just feel along the fob to find the right physical button to press, and then when I'm in range, press the button. That to me would be better.

(Or they could have put a physical button on the frunk itself like on the trunk so that I could press it to unlock. Then I wouldn't really have an issue.)

But all of that said, my wife does not have a smart phone, and more to the point, does not WANT one. And the keycard is just crap. It's perfectly reasonable to have a keycard as a backup. Probably better than a key. But not for primary use. Tesla has just assumed that "everyone has a smart phone". But lots of people still don't.

Completely disagree. My iPhone X has worked flawlessly since day 1. I've never had an issue. They NAILED it.

another person i have to tell to get over themselves...just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. just read the forums and you'll see plenty of us who it almost never works for...so spare me the "they NAILED it" nonsense.

i especially love the people who join just to have their first post tell us how wonderful the phone key is as if we're all idiots.

Last edited:
I have a very slim wallet with only a few cards in it and I have to remove the keycard and put it directly against the pillar to work .

make sure you're putting the right side of the wallet against the pillar. i have a thick wallet with a ton of stuff in it, and it works just fine as long as i remember to put the side of the wallet the card is on up against the pillar. if i flip the wallet around, it doesn't work.

No. The trunk has a push button on the right side of the latch. If you can unlock the car doors, you should be able to unlock the trunk.

Are there 2 buttons there? I just push the same button I always used to open the trunk. But it doesn't seem to be able to wake the car up even if I hold it for like 10+ seconds. With the front door, sometime the screen will come on when I hold the handle. It will then go off and then I could open the door on the next try. The trunk button does not seem to do the same.

Are there 2 buttons there? I just push the same button I always used to open the trunk. But it doesn't seem to be able to wake the car up even if I hold it for like 10+ seconds. With the front door, sometime the screen will come on when I hold the handle. It will then go off and then I could open the door on the next try. The trunk button does not seem to do the same.
No, it's just one button. I've not had an issue unlocking the trunk, and I've not seen an issue opening the door like you have. But I've only had my car since Sep 2. So plenty of time for issues to show up.

another person i have to tell to get over themselves...just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. just read the forums and you'll see plenty of us who it almost never works for...so spare me the "they NAILED it" nonsense.

i especially love the people who join just to have their first post tell us how wonderful the phone key is as if we're all idiots.
Since he just joined today and he doesn't have a signature that tells when he got his car, I'm going to assume he just got his car today, and so the 3 times he's opened it, it's worked.

Is there a secret to open the trunk? The phone as key seems to work for me almost 100% for front doors, but not for the trunk. When the trunk won't open, I have to go open the door and then the trunk would open.

If you put your phone key and my phone key together, we might have something that works all the time. I can open my trunk 100% of the time with the phone key. The last failure I had was probably over 3 months ago. It doesn't matter what my phone has been doing, whether the car is in deep sleep, whether the car had just locked and I came back to it right away--the trunk always unlocks when I press the release switch on the car. I even tested it without the phone key because I thought it could just be broken and never locks.

Yet for whatever reason, after opening the trunk then walking to the driver's door to open it, around 5-10% of the time, the door won't unlock. I know the phone and car established the phone key connection for the trunk, but but in that 6-8 foot walk from the trunk to the door, the connection breaks, even if I'm holding out my phone right next to the car the entire time.

walk away lock just failed on me AGAIN at lunch today. that's twice in two days since this most recent update, after not failing for weeks.

i give up. (if only i had a nickel for how many times i've felt like giving up on this in the month i've had the car)

the fact that they released the car with this awful entry system and continue to break things as they try to fix others just blows my mind.

Reactions: slipnslider
If you put your phone key and my phone key together, we might have something that works all the time. I can open my trunk 100% of the time with the phone key. The last failure I had was probably over 3 months ago. It doesn't matter what my phone has been doing, whether the car is in deep sleep, whether the car had just locked and I came back to it right away--the trunk always unlocks when I press the release switch on the car. I even tested it without the phone key because I thought it could just be broken and never locks.

Yet for whatever reason, after opening the trunk then walking to the driver's door to open it, around 5-10% of the time, the door won't unlock. I know the phone and car established the phone key connection for the trunk, but but in that 6-8 foot walk from the trunk to the door, the connection breaks, even if I'm holding out my phone right next to the car the entire time.

Heh, that's interesting. I always feel like an idiot standing in front of my trunk with a Costco cart full of stuff holding on to the trunk button hoping it will work. It is like that old 80's Marshell commercial "Open Open Open...". After like 10 sec.. then I will go "fine" and walk to the driver side door and open it a crack and come back to open the trunk. I have a LG G4 phone btw. You probably have an android too? Seems like from the survey, iPhones are doing much better.

walk away lock just failed on me AGAIN at lunch today. that's twice in two days since this most recent update, after not failing for weeks.

i give up. (if only i had a nickel for how many times i've felt like giving up on this in the month i've had the car)

the fact that they released the car with this awful entry system and continue to break things as they try to fix others just blows my mind.
Well the fob should be out in October. Or at least that is implied on the FCC site.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux
The doors seem to be require first-access (or behave differently) than the other locks or equipment.

I've found, for example, that many times I can't just walk up to the car and remove my charging cable, I need to first open a door. Same for the trunk.

Fortunately, the Android app now has an "Unlock" button on it's Notification, so I can just pull down on the Notification shade and press Unlock without going through the hassle of opening the app.

Also, the locking logic seems to struggle with the case of leaving the car but not walking very far away. I suspect this is due to trying to deal with bedrooms placed in close proximity to the parked car. I'm wondering why they can't use the BLE signal strength to better handle this -- if you're directly next to the car and trying to access the door, unlock it. The car can learn your BLE signal strength profile over time.

Same here! Trunk always opens, but somehow going from the trunk immediately to a door and it won't open.

I know there is a Bluetooth receiver in the rear bumper, but transferring from that to the side (in the rear-view mirror?) must be throwing something off.

I also notice that the car will unlock when removing the charge plug, but I walk the cord to the front of the car, not more than two feet from the front bumper and it locks right back up. If I twist my body so that the pocket the phone is in is pointed toward the car I get about 50% success of it not locking again for the 5 seconds I wrangle the cord.

There seems to be some "dead spots" for Bluetooth reception and issue with which antennae the phone is connected too. But overall since the latest android update the phone has been working very reliably

At this time, my car is on the 32.6 update and my Tesla phone app is version 3.4.4, in my Galaxy S5.

For the past 2 days, it has had a new trick. The phone will open the door most of the time, but it would usually not let the car start up.

Yes, despite the phone key letting me get in, most of the time, I'd still have to very inconveniently pull the key card out of my pocket, put it on the center console, then put it back in my pocket after I was already in the car.

How are those Model 3 fobs coming along, Tesla? They shouldn't be hard to make, since you already have S and X fobs!

At this time, my car is on the 32.6 update and my Tesla phone app is version 3.4.4, in my Galaxy S5.

For the past 2 days, it has had a new trick. The phone will open the door most of the time, but it would usually not let the car start up.

Yes, despite the phone key letting me get in, most of the time, I'd still have to very inconveniently pull the key card out of my pocket, put it on the center console, then put it back in my pocket after I was already in the car.

How are those Model 3 fobs coming along, Tesla? They shouldn't be hard to make, since you already have S and X fobs!

that's strange, i used to have this issue all the time when i first got the car but haven't had it happen in a few weeks now...tons of other issues, but this one in particular seems to have gone away. apparently not for everyone, though...

Are you using fingerprint unlock for the app? I had the same issue with an iPhone after delivery of my second Model 3 and notice that turning off Face ID in the app immediately resolved the issue. The app works again now.