Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla backing away from "Phone Key as primary key"

How often does Phone Key work for you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that's strange, i used to have this issue all the time when i first got the car but haven't had it happen in a few weeks now...tons of other issues, but this one in particular seems to have gone away. apparently not for everyone, though...

I haven't seen this issue in a while either. My first month of ownership, too many times after unlocking the door and sitting in the driver's seat, it would ask for the key card. Reading this made me realize that hasn't happened in a few months--actually also around the time my trunk started unlocking reliably. A number of things have happened since then, including multiple firmware updates, app updates, Android patches specifically aimed at improving BLE connectivity, and a whole new version of Android (Pie).

It proves that improvement over time is possible and I hope they keep working toward increased reliability. I will say I'm much happier with the phone key now than I was after taking delivery in the spring.

In addition to whatever Bluetooth connection issues may be present, there's something just blatantly wrong about Tesla's locking/unlocking logic.

Tonight I exited a store, approached the car, turned my phone screen on (testing if that would help the Bluetooth connection).

I opened the trunk on the first try.

Then I tried the driver's door and it wouldn't open. After pulling on it a second time, the main display in the car flashed text that said swipe the card to unlock. WTF?

How can it allow opening the trunk, but not the driver door immediately after? This is almost certainly a bug in their logic, not a failed connection. I tried to file a bug report (in-car) but not sure it did anything. Will DM Tesla this specific feedback tomorrow.

In addition to whatever Bluetooth connection issues may be present, there's something just blatantly wrong about Tesla's locking/unlocking logic.

Tonight I exited a store, approached the car, turned my phone screen on (testing if that would help the Bluetooth connection).

Then I tried the driver's door and it wouldn't open. After pulling on it a second time, the main display in the car flashed text that said swipe the card to unlock. WTF?

How can it allow opening the trunk, but not the driver door immediately after? This is almost certainly a bug in their logic, not a failed connection. I tried to file a bug report (in-car) but not sure it did anything. Will DM Tesla this specific feedback tomorrow.
I've noticed the same thing with my phone (EP-1), but usually after I get in the car and try to start it up (brake pedal). It'll usually connect if I move the phone to the center console or click on the power button to turn on the phone's screen. I think it has something to do with BLE since DW's iphone 6 doesn't have the same issue, but that's just a guess.

• Informative
Reactions: joelliot
I have moto G5 android phone. It only works once to lock or unlock the car, then it is disconnected. To reconnect I have to put the phone in airplane mode, then out of airplane. Oh, I also have to be in the Tesla model 3 and it has to be in a "woke" state. I've called Tesla support and they say do the "airplane" trick". This is useless. So I try using the Tesla app to unlock the car. This has to connect through the cell phone networks. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to connect to the car. Unacceptable. Since version 9 software update to the Model 3, I'm getting frequent "server failure" messages. So apparently Tesla's computers are in the middle of the connection via the phone network. So frequently I have to use the key card which is in my wallet. That's not so fun when it's raining and I have to put my wallet against the side of the car. All in all, I love the model 3 but absolutely hate unlocking/starting/locking the car. The worst ever. A mechanical key would be better.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I agree, ever since V9 my phone as a key sucks, it's only 95% reliable. I am using pretty recent hardware, Galaxy Note 8. Maybe its something with my car, but it just goes to sleep and never wakes up.

Its frankly silly that a fob isn't an option. Cell networks barely work at all where I live. We need something reliable and while the card works, its silly that I have to carry both my phone and wallet now everywhere. While reliable, a key card is missing the convenient part of the equation. I still live in a world where I need keys otherwise, so a fob is perfect for me and the phone is a luxury, when it works.

Reactions: fiatlux
I'm having issues with my iPhone X not unlocking the car until I start the app. I've only had the car for 1 week so I don't think I have enough data to know for sure, but I didn't have problems until v9.

Using a XS (and an X before that) with v9 for weeks. First 39.7 and now 42.3. No issues at all, except that it doesn’t do a good job when my phone is in my back pocket. If I swing my hip around so there is nothing between the phone and the car it works perfectly.

Double-check the settings on your iPhone to make sure that the Tesla app has Always access to your location, and that background app refresh is turned on for the app.

Reactions: larryj
Was working fine with iPhone 6s and then iPhone XS – never an issue opening or starting, besides sometimes having to turn my hips when standing outside. However, now with 42.3 I’m having issues. Doesn’t let me put the car in gear (requests key card) while sitting in driver’s seat with phone still in pocket (even right front pocket next to console). I now have to remove the phone and place it in console cupholder or phone mount. And last night I couldn’t open the driver’s door even after just opening the trunk. I had to launch the app and unlock it via the app button. First time being forced to do that. (I had key card in my wallet but I wanted to see what it would take to get phone-as-key working.)

Again, I had no troubles until 42.3 that I received late Thursday night.

Using a XS (and an X before that) with v9 for weeks. First 39.7 and now 42.3. No issues at all, except that it doesn’t do a good job when my phone is in my back pocket. If I swing my hip around so there is nothing between the phone and the car it works perfectly.

Double-check the settings on your iPhone to make sure that the Tesla app has Always access to your location, and that background app refresh is turned on for the app.

I didn't have the location setting set to 'always'. I bet that was the problem. Thanks.

Was working fine with iPhone 6s and then iPhone XS – never an issue opening or starting, besides sometimes having to turn my hips when standing outside. However, now with 42.3 I’m having issues. Doesn’t let me put the car in gear (requests key card) while sitting in driver’s seat with phone still in pocket (even right front pocket next to console). I now have to remove the phone and place it in console cupholder or phone mount. And last night I couldn’t open the driver’s door even after just opening the trunk. I had to launch the app and unlock it via the app button. First time being forced to do that. (I had key card in my wallet but I wanted to see what it would take to get phone-as-key working.)

Again, I had no troubles until 42.3 that I received late Thursday night.
My phone-as-key was continuing to fail following the 42.3 update as I described above and then I discovered “walk away autolock” was also failing. I spent some time troubleshooting today (rebooting the car, disconnecting/reconnecting the phone) which didn’t help. Then I decided to completely unpair my phone – removed car connection from phone and phone from car. After re-pairing my phone with the car, everything seems to be working again: unlock, putting into gear, walk-away autolock – all without any trouble. We’ll see for how long....

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk

I also had the same experience(unlocked trunk but failed to open driver door) while my car was parked on my drive way. Before this my phone key worked 100% of the time.

I also had the same experience(unlocked trunk but failed to open driver door) while my car was parked on my drive way. Before this my phone key worked 100% of the time.
So, after some more testing, it turns out that my main issue was keeping my phone in my back pocket.

Apparently having the phone in my back pocket attenuates the signal below whatever threshold the car is looking for.

Just turning my back toward the door allows it to unlock.

So, for anyone having trouble, keep this in mind if your phone is in your back pocket.

My phone-as-key was continuing to fail following the 42.3 update as I described above and then I discovered “walk away autolock” was also failing. I spent some time troubleshooting today (rebooting the car, disconnecting/reconnecting the phone) which didn’t help. Then I decided to completely unpair my phone – removed car connection from phone and phone from car. After re-pairing my phone with the car, everything seems to be working again: unlock, putting into gear, walk-away autolock – all without any trouble. We’ll see for how long....

I just wanted to update this to say that things are still working following this re-pairing. (I didn't have problems prior to 42.3 and I'm back to no problems again.) This is with an iPhone XS (previously iPhone 6S).

I must be really lucky as I never had any phone key problem since I picked up my Model 3 last Dec and connected to my iPhone X. Been through all the different 2018 software upgrades. Upgraded my iPhone X iOS software.

I always open my trunk to put away my backpack before opening the door when I am leaving work. The only time I had issue was user error - forgot to switch back to my car from my wife’s Model X or my home Tesla Solar/PowerWall as the current product selection.

Maybe because I always keep my phone in my front pant pocket?

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K