Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Bad Publicity Because Of User Error.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like this guy had to bust out the window of his Y to exit as he claims the door and windows would not work which would be normal with a catastrophic failure of the main battery. What they fail to mention is he never even thought of using the mechanical release just below the electronic push button which requires no power. The publishers should have at least tried to inform themselves before publishing such garbage. Another bad publicity because of user error. Tesla Incident

The guy surely panicked when he saw smoke.

I agree the story should not have made such a big deal about the owner breaking the window to “escape” but to me, the real story is that something caused the car to catch on fire.
Yeah, that's a story, but it really should be provided with context:

• There were 200,000 vehicle fires in the US in 2018 (NFPA)
  • There were essentially no Teslas on the road then (maybe 200,000 total)
  • Gasoline powered cars are constantly being recalled due to fire risk. Here's the most recent, from one week ago:
    • May 19, 2022 | Washington, DC
      Ford Motor Co. is warning rental car companies and other owners of 2021 Ford Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators to park their vehicles outside due to the risk of fire. The automaker has confirmed 16 fires, mostly in vehicles that were unattended.... More than 39,000 vehicles are affected, and at this time there is no known cause or remedy.
I'm getting a little tired of breathless stories about Teslas catching on fire, when they're far less likely to do so than gassers.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Might be fake. Not sure, but I believe there’s a lot of scared ICE manufacturers and big oil that don’t want Tesla to keep growing at suck a fast pace. So I wouldn’t put it past them
265FA636-EB0F-4AFE-A8EA-E5B27252A74A.png

Seems like this guy had to bust out the window of his Y to exit as he claims the door and windows would not work which would be normal with a catastrophic failure of the main battery. What they fail to mention is he never even thought of using the mechanical release just below the electronic push button which requires no power. The publishers should have at least tried to inform themselves before publishing such garbage. Another bad publicity because of user error. Tesla Incident
“User error”

Is this Elon’s account? A properly designed system allows you to get out of the vehicle using the same method you would 99.9% of the time.

A separate procedure for emergency exit is asinine and means your design is faulty.

“User error”

Is this Elon’s account? A properly designed system allows you to get out of the vehicle using the same method you would 99.9% of the time.

A separate procedure for emergency exit is asinine and means your design is faulty.
Not to mention there’s not really an emergency/manual release for the rear doors. The hidden pull cord thing that requires tools to get to doesn’t count because who has the time or tools to do that in an emergency. Especially if the backseat passengers are kids that won’t be able to do that.

The manual release is also stupid because there’s no reason it can’t also drop the windows like the electronic release to prevent damage. Tesla just made it like that to force people to use the button.

Might be fake. Not sure, but I believe there’s a lot of scared ICE manufacturers and big oil that don’t want Tesla to keep growing at suck a fast pace. So I wouldn’t put it past them View attachment 809376
Look at the pics. They are different places...
“User error”

Not on a fully electric car. I would say though the say system for the front doors should work for the back ones(with childlock still affecting that)

Not on a fully electric car. I would say though the say system for the front doors should work for the back ones(with childlock still affecting that)
Why not? Nothing states that electric cars must have electronic door latches or weird door handles.

I personally don’t like the trend because it’s just reinventing the wheel just for the sake of doing so. The electronic door latch does nothing better than a pure mechanical one, has more potential to fail and is rendered inoperable when power is lost.

Maybe there’s a benefit for power operated doors like in the Model X, but you can still have a mechanical release with a power operated door (see several generations of minivans with power sliding doors).

Other companies have implemented the electronic door release better than Tesla. Pull the door release and the electronic latch unlatches. If for some reason that doesn’t work, you pull even harder (which would be something you instinctively do in an emergency) and the mechanical latch is released. And that is a function present on all doors not just the front.

The guy surely panicked when he saw smoke.

I agree the story should not have made such a big deal about the owner breaking the window to “escape” but to me, the real story is that something caused the car to catch on fire.
Agreed, I’m more interested about why it caught on fire - potential electrical issue? Gas cars obviously catch on fire as well, but aside from electrical, it’s usually related to the engine or fuel system (none of which are factors with Teslas, obviously). Hopefully they’re able to determine what caused this fire.