Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ban - Security just kicked me out of an EV spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I understand where management is coming from. In my area, there is a Target with 10 Supercharger stations next to 4 Chargepoint stations. Once in a while, I would see all the Supercharger stations occupied and think about using the free Chargepoint station instead. But I don't. Because I know a non-Tesla EV owner may see my car and think I'm being cheap or worse be annoyed at me for using the last available Chargepoint station when there are Supercharger stations available nearby. I think being at the movies for a long time would be the last thing people would think of when they see a Tesla at a Chargpoint station when there are Superchargers nearby.

You have way to much tesla smug cloud. Do you have a soapbox you stand on when you preach like that? Feels like the prius forums back in the day. An ev is an ev. Myself I think tesla should open up the superchargers to everyone so they can earn more return on that infrastructure.

Elon has welcomed this in the past and I thought I read recently that he has expressed this again publicly. No takers so far. By the way I can only imagine the owner response if this happens and some other manufacturers' cars will be sharing charging equipment with Teslas. With the influx of Model 3s I'm seeing comments made about overcrowding and let's face it doesn't sound like Tesla's in a position to expand chargers at the moment until more production takes off although a partner would help fund some of the new locations. More locations are planned in any event so we'll see.

The way I see it the manufacturers haven't wanted to spend their own money (either paying to share the Superchargers or paying for their own system) and instead have sat back waiting for third parties to come in and risk their money on equipment, energy costs and a payment system to collect funds. Then VW got caught with their pants down on the emissions scandal, and now all those other manufacturers are hoping to ride on VW's coat tails. Have to say I wouldn't blame VW if they made it such that their VW cars got better pricing on a charge. Don't see why other manufacturers should benefit from this. And Yes, there are some joint ventures happening between companies that want to capitalize on marketing their charging system as a sales point for their brand car. See those as cars that will require faster charging for their bigger batteries. So while an EV is an EV, there's still a lot of money and company politics involved.

In any event I guess not hard to see how car manufacturers have had this mentality when it comes to letting a third party supplying EV charging for their cars. Their dealership structure has let those dealerships take the financial risk of selling the manufacturers cars along with service on the vehicles in order to make a profit so why not some third party take the risk on the charging end.

TBH, it makes sense to keep the L2 chargers free when you can charge somewhere else. It's the same concept as being ICEed. You can't expect everybody to understand the nuances of free versus paid charging.
I kinda get it. There were Tesla chargers available, use those. Save a spac for a car that can't use the Tesla chargers. I wonder if OP is a new-ish owner. I've seen more "entitled" ownership as of late. Like model 3 owners parking in chargepoint sorts and not charging, but because it's a close spot.

I kinda get it. There were Tesla chargers available, use those. Save a spac for a car that can't use the Tesla chargers. I wonder if OP is a new-ish owner. I've seen more "entitled" ownership as of late. Like model 3 owners parking in chargepoint sorts and not charging, but because it's a close spot.

Pardon, I think you missed part of my post. Wasn't trying to park somewhere to get a better spot, was trying to charge at a movie and obviously can't use SC for that. All the other EV spots were open (minus one ICEd). And knowing the lot, very rarely are the spots all taken.

Pardon, I think you missed part of my post. Wasn't trying to park somewhere to get a better spot, was trying to charge at a movie and obviously can't use SC for that. All the other EV spots were open (minus one ICEd). And knowing the lot, very rarely are the spots all taken.
Use the Tesla ones. What the point of using level 2 charging during a movie anyway?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and bedoig
I get it - free is better than paid, SC too fast for movie (why idle fees exist), don't want to wait at SC after movie. Then get there early and SC for 30 minutes since there are plenty of spots up there next to SC. IMHO it is inconsiderate to hog 1/4 j1772 when there are 8 unused SC outlets non Tesla can't use. Maybe ChargePoint should add idle fees too since staying too long is why Tesla had to implement them. I would have educated security about the ICEing issue.

Some people say supercharging isn't supposed to be for daily charging, just for traveling. Now I hear people saying that people shouldn't use chargepoint chargers either and use superchargers for their charging. The opinions are all over the place.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Some people say supercharging isn't supposed to be for daily charging, just for traveling. Now I hear people saying that people shouldn't use chargepoint chargers either and use superchargers for their charging. The opinions are all over the place.
It depends on who they are lecturing. You shouldn't use superchargers all the time. We have destination chargers at some malls here. If the YouTubes are to be believed you can get an adapter for other cars with destination chargers as well.

I kind of agree... The mall leases these parking spaces to Tesla. So it sounds like either the mall gets a certain amount of cash from the chargers, IE few cents per KW or rents the space. If all the tesla's parked in other spots other than their designated parking stalls we would probably see the Tesla stalls disappear and close. Thats not what majority of us want. JM2C

Reactions: supratachophobia
I don't know it's free. I did say "probably". But true, I have no idea.

But it seams to me like the mall went out of it's way to support Tesla superchargers. Get a picket line there and they could quickly change their mind.
Seems like they should be more concerned about the ICE car than a car trying to use the charger for its legitimate purpose

The bad thing about not allowing Teslas to use the Chargepoint spots is that not all Teslas are able to Supercharge. There are older cars that don't have Supercharging enabled and salvage cars often aren't able to Supercharge either. Having a blanket ban on Teslas isn't fair. Perhaps they could suggest Teslas use the Superchargers, if possible. Alternatively, they could install some destination charging spots.

While I don't see any problem with using J1772 public charging, maybe the OP could've parked at a Supercharge and then gone into the theater. Once they got their seats, he could've returned to the Supercharger and moved the car before or during the previews and before the movie started.

It depends on who they are lecturing. You shouldn't use superchargers all the time. We have destination chargers at some malls here. If the YouTubes are to be believed you can get an adapter for other cars with destination chargers as well.

It's true with Tesla destination chargers. We saw one charging at one a few weeks ago at a local golf course. They run $250-260 new depending on Amp rating. Sold on ebay by Teslatap.

Last edited:
Wait, what? How is he getting 125 miles of range on 30 amp level 2?

Model 3 can potentially get 24-28 mph on L2. It's plausible, walking in/out of the mall, getting some food beforehand, to spend 4+ hours and get 100 miles or more.

I'm not saying saying the OP can't do it if the mall's rules allow, but if one is already inclined to spend 4 hours at the mall, it's not that big a deal to spend 15 minutes sitting at the SC (preferably right when arriving so the battery is warm; girlfriend can head inside first, queue up for the food and popcorn). OP bought the movie pass with the intent of killing two birds with one stone - fueling up and watching movies over a 3-4 hour span. Same can still be true using the SC, with a fairly modest adjustment.

Model 3 can potentially get 24-28 mph on L2. It's plausible, walking in/out of the mall, getting some food beforehand, to spend 4+ hours and get 100 miles or more.

I'm not saying saying the OP can't do it if the mall's rules allow, but if one is already inclined to spend 4 hours at the mall, it's not that big a deal to spend 15 minutes sitting at the SC (preferably right when arriving so the battery is warm; girlfriend can head inside first, queue up for the food and popcorn). OP bought the movie pass with the intent of killing two birds with one stone - fueling up and watching movies over a 3-4 hour span. Same can still be true using the SC, with a fairly modest adjustment.

Pardon I was using rounding of 30mph times 3-4 hours. May have been a bit optimistic :)

Again on the SC, it's an urban, and car got cold soaked, thus it took about 45 minutes to charge to get those 100 miles, while people were waiting on me :(.

And to the people that said get there earlier, I couldn't with work that day.

Honestly did not expect this to turn into so much hate :) I am not a newbie and am very well accustomed to charging planning, as said I drive about 750-1k miles a week with no reliablrrelia or work charging, thus SC on average 4 or 5 times a week. I had just hoped to avoid a SC while at the movies on an L2 that is usually empty.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker