Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla bans Stewart Alsop from buying Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read this interesting comment from "JackBowers" in one of Seeking Alpha's article. By any chance is there a video recording of this incident? I thought this response from Musk was spot on and hilarious..

As for Elon refusing a sale - this is nothing new. In early 2009, when Elon met with all of us who had deposits on the Roadster to inform us of price increases on popular options, one particularly belligerent customer was giving Elon a really hard time. Elon told him that the deposit refund option was a two-way street and that Tesla didn't have to have to sell a Roadster everyone who put down a deposit. Boy did that shut him up! The rest of us in the room, who were equally annoyed with the guy, gave Elon a round of applause.

To illustrate on my point of what I learned from this thread, here's the answer to a simple yes or no answer:

Was Elon Musk an illegal immigrant? Please forward the video to 13m32s mark.

His younger brother said yes, they were
illegal immigrants.

Elon himself corrected the answer as "It was a gray area."

Dinner Program - To Infinity and Beyond: Jeff Skoll Talks with Elon and Kimbal Musk (updated) - YouTube

Kimbal: When they did fund us, they realized that we were illegal immigrants.

Elon: Well...

Kimbal: Yes we were!

Elon: It was a gray area.

The Unruh Civil Rights Act protects all persons against arbitrary and unreasonable discrimination by a business establishment (Civil Code section 51).

DFEH - Unruh Civil Rights Act

(I probably shouldn't answer for him but this is the only Act he can possibly be referring to.)

I'm sure this does not apply or else some of the exotic cars would not be able to sell only to selected customers. The key here is arbitrary. It's easy for a business to show a reason even though the reason may not necessarily be what everyone agrees.

To illustrate on my point of what I learned from this thread, here's the answer to a simple yes or no answer:

Was Elon Musk an illegal immigrant? Please forward the video to 13m32s mark.

His younger brother said yes, they were
illegal immigrants.

Elon himself corrected the answer as "It was a gray area."

Dinner Program - To Infinity and Beyond: Jeff Skoll Talks with Elon and Kimbal Musk (updated) - YouTube

Kimbal: When they did fund us, they realized that we were illegal immigrants.

Elon: Well...

Kimbal: Yes we were!

Elon: It was a gray area.

I certainly hope he was an illegal immigrant. That sure will help to shut some of those politicians down.

I understand this. I banned a customer once and he really got mad and threatened to sue me. This certainly reinforced my belief that I made the right decision. I had a couple of other customers that I didn't ban but should have. There are bad people out there that one should stay far away from. From the looks of things, Stew was one of those for Tesla. The first thing that would happen is, Stew would drive his model X under a low overhang and jamb the gullwing door and then try to drive away. Of course, Stew would hold Tesla accountable and write extensively about it and probably sue.