Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla bans Stewart Alsop from buying Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the author crossed the line when he titled his post "Elon, you should be ashamed of yourself". No need to try to "shame" Elon. But on the other hand, I understand the author's frustration. I also was very upset and angry at how I (and others) were treated at the X launch event. I event brought up my concerns with one of the main event coordinators (super late start with no apology, lack of X vehicles for test drive, overcrowding, ridiculous wait, etc). However, the event coordinator completely blew me off. The coordinator basically said, "we're doing a great job." And "Elon can start whenever he wants and do whatever he wants." I felt reprimanded and it was a terrible experience. And this wasn't the first time I felt like this dealing with Tesla recently. I've had a lot of negative experiences with Tesla over the past year or so. I feel sad, especially since I'm one of their biggest fans.

That's unfortunate. I think that this specific case with Aslop was that he got a phone call from somebody on the team. Given that Aslop is a quasi member of the press, I'd think that probably had something to do with it. To the same token, the only reason why the event ran late was the press time that preceded it ran over. Granted, I would've run things differently but I think Tesla did the best it could with what it had. Events are always a crazy thing especially with people in the upper echelon of income. I wonder if the event coordinators were in house or contracted out. Regardless, they'll live and learn and hopefully the product will make all these woes go away.

the only reason why the event ran late was the press time that preceded it ran over. Granted, I would've run things differently but I think Tesla did the best it could with what it had. Events are always a crazy thing especially with people in the upper echelon of income.

Regardless, IIRC the Tesla Energy launch was also incredibly delayed and there were some CC's that started late, causing Jim Cramer (not a fan) to rant on CNBC that it seems like amateur hour at TSLA. Bottom line, this might make Musk feel good, but it really does not instill investor or customer confidence. At least to those who are paying attention.

He is a true believer and I think this is one of the most painful posts for me personally to read.

I feel the same. I was referred to this thread from the Investor's section, where things are not particularly upbeat at the moment. DaveT's been something of a barometer for me since the Pre-Megapost days, and I always look forward to the Weekly Newsletter, which makes it especially challenging to accurately interpret how big of an issue this may be.

SlowNewsDay.png

The weird thing that I don't understand is that Stewart Alsop wrote that critical piece the day after the Sept 29th, 2015 reveal event. Did Elon just read this piece a few days ago or did he wait 4 months to pull his reservation for greater impact? Or are there other (more recent) interactions between Stewart Alsop and Telsa/Elon Musk that we are not privy to?

Some people just can't wait for a good thing. It's unfortunate that this happened... don't know if I agree with Elon but at least he took some action rather than ignoring it.

The weird thing that I don't understand is that Stewart Alsop wrote that critical piece the day after the Sept 29th, 2015 reveal event. Did Elon just read this piece a few days ago or did he wait 4 months to pull his reservation for greater impact? Or are there other (more recent) interactions between Steward Alsop and Telsa/Elon Musk that we are not privy to?

I don't think Elon would tell us private information.

Mainstream media is picking up the story after Elon's tweet. This one has over 700 comments:
Elon Musk personally cancels blogger's Tesla order after 'rude' post | Technology | The Guardian

I agree with Alsop on this one. He wasn't a rude customer. He was annoyed and rightly so because of Tesla's actions. If Elon was looking to fire someone, he should have fired the event manager who was rude to DaveT. Fanboyism doesn't help Tesla at all.

I think the author crossed the line when he titled his post "Elon, you should be ashamed of yourself". No need to try to "shame" Elon. But on the other hand, I understand the author's frustration. I also was very upset and angry at how I (and others) were treated at the X launch event. I event brought up my concerns with one of the main event coordinators (super late start with no apology, lack of X vehicles for test drive, overcrowding, ridiculous wait, etc). However, the event coordinator completely blew me off. The coordinator basically said, "we're doing a great job." And "Elon can start whenever he wants and do whatever he wants." I felt reprimanded and it was a terrible experience. And this wasn't the first time I felt like this dealing with Tesla recently. I've had a lot of negative experiences with Tesla over the past year or so. I feel sad, especially since I'm one of their biggest fans. (Source)

FWIW, Tesla hired an event production / media company to handle the Model X event, because their internal team didn't have the resources at the time to do that event. As I understand it, Tesla's internal media and event team will handle further events of this nature (such as the Model 3 reveal), but they were just starting/ramping that part of the company around the time of the Model X reveal, so they were forced to outsource. EDIT: Familiar story? Tesla unhappy with outside vendor decides to take the process in-house.

Wow!! I just read this guys blog on the event and couldn't read beyond the 1st few paragraphs. His blog is the definition of personal attack. He is insulting Elon because what he did wasn't according to how he thought it should be. If I would start replying to people I don't agree with on this forum in the way that guy did I am sure that I will get banned instaneously. His blog lacks civility. If exchange of ideas is to happen it should happen in a respectful manner. No one likes to hear someone talking to them in a bad tone and insulting way. I stand with Elon in his decision. These type of people can damage the morale of an organization. It's best to avoid them.

Mainstream media is picking up the story after Elon's tweet. This one has over 700 comments:
Elon Musk personally cancels blogger's Tesla order after 'rude' post | Technology | The Guardian

I agree with Alsop on this one. He wasn't a rude customer. He was annoyed and rightly so because of Tesla's actions. If Elon was looking to fire someone, he should have fired the event manager who was rude to DaveT. Fanboyism doesn't help Tesla at all.

There's more than one side to the story and you are basing your opinion on Alsop's story only. Other stories (and threads here on TMC) mention a phone call between Mush and Alsop. If you weren't party to that phone conversation, then I don't think you can know for sure if Alsop was rude or not.

@Troy
I disagree. That manager can't be compared to this rude blogger in my opinion. He certainly could have more polite, but he didn't insulted Dave T. Whereas that rude blogger kept on insulting Elon throughout his post. The content of manager reply was only about Elon, not about Dave T. He might be sad about its delivery, but in my opinion it has no comparison to the insulting dissection of the whole stuff that Elon and Tesla did that day.

As I have understand it have been a phone call between the writer and Elon Musk. What he have said in that phone call we don't have any idea. The order was cancelled now several months after the blog post so I belive it have more to do with the phone call then the first blog post.

FWIW, Tesla hired an event production / media company to handle the Model X event, because their internal team didn't have the resources at the time to do that event. As I understand it, Tesla's internal media and event team will handle further events of this nature (such as the Model 3 reveal), but they were just starting/ramping that part of the company around the time of the Model X reveal, so they were forced to outsource. EDIT: Familiar story? Tesla unhappy with outside vendor decides to take the process in-house.

If everyone recalls, there was to be "no event" at all. I honestly think that was the plan - don't have an event, just deliver the few vehicles, and move on. Bonnie was told this by reliable sources just a couple of weeks before the event. Then, suddenly, there is an event. My guess is that it was a last minute thing scheduled based on pushback. And the above makes sense - if you haven't planned it, you'll have to pay someone to run it.

In hindsight, they probably should have skipped it. People would have been angry, but they would have avoided some of the bad press about the event, including this.