TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla batteries get a van 600 miles range (1000km)

Discussion in 'News' started by jcstp, Nov 6, 2011.

1. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

1000 Kilometers on a Single Charge

Batteries of SmartforTwo are from Tesla no?

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Not the latest variant. They don't specify which.

You have to wonder how much of the back of the van was used for batteries (and how much of its payload weight limit).

3. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

BEA-tricks use the same 18650 cell-type as Tesla does. But this doesn't make them Tesla batteries.

4. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

I learn a lot here! :biggrin:

5. Adm

Adm Active Member

The back of the van about half full.... No mention on the weight of the batteries

2011-10-bea-tricks-219.jpg

6. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

As far as I can make out, the original German article seems to be saying that they had a fairly huge 180kw/hr on board and claim that they had enough energy left to do a further 150km after passing the 1,000Km point. Which implies they averaged 252 w/mile with all the weight on board. Also, the piece mentions it took 17 hrs at an average speed of 36Mph !

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The author of that article doesn't understand the technology at all... they suggested that the extra range at the end was due to the fact that they went faster than expected. That should have the opposite effect...

8. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

In my experience, that is sadly true for the vast majority of journalists who spout forth real tripe sometimes ... which often then gets munged up and regurgitated by some other media organ.

Not that I'm jaded or anything ;-)

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

They must have finished the case of beer in the back before writing their article! :crying:

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

At least it can carry some beer. They thought of everything.

11. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

That’s if there was any room left for beer ..

If the reported energy capacity of 180kwh is approximately correct, then the lithium payload would have weighed about the same as a whole Roadster stuffed into the back .. its hard to know what point those crazy Germans were trying to prove !

12. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Translation problems. The german source article says the drove faster because they found they had more range left than they needed... not the other way around. :biggrin:

13. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

They proved: All you need is beer. ;)

14. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

15. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

BEA-trick does conversions of Smart ForTwo with their self-designed battery pack. There seems to be no relation with the electric smart produced by Daimler or the Tesla-made battery pack for the first 1000 of them. Just the same cell technology used.
    Stuffing 10 of these packs is just as crazy as stuffing 2x V8 (=W16) and 10 radiators in a Bugatti Veyron - everybody knows this car will not be in mass production, but it has the halo effect.

16. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I for one would like to see there numbers or there processes for calculating this stated range.

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#17 NigelM, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    Feels (no criticism, just my feeling) to me that everyone's on their case a little, so I just sat down and read the original German reports.

These guys have a commercial motivation to sell conversion sets so it's good publicity for them. It's also good for the ZEV movement to be publicizing the fact that electric vehicles can do long distance road trips. This trip was sort of the German equivalent of John O'Groats to Lands End.

From their own reporting:

My translation:

As far as speed is concerned, press reported the following:

My translation:

The interesting point is that many trucks are restricted to a max speed of 80kph; is this directly comparable? Not really, but it is getting people thinking that there are alternatives to diesel rigs. Also, details of the route are not given but some of it on side roads helps explain the average speed.

The article on www.gas2.org contains a huge howler suggesting that there was excess battery capacity maybe because the drivers had driven faster than expected (that journalist needs help!) but they did also have one very good quote:

Daniel Sperling's guys made a good point that EV's can travel long distances in the real world and with a standard Citroen shell, not a concept car. They stated that it was also good for their research and for future developments. They should be congratulated.

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

With the back packed full of batteries its not much of a van any more.

19. zack

zack Member

600 miles. I love that part. I wouldn't want to drive something with that much weight in it unless all the batteries were very low in the vehicle!

20. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

indeed. a line 600 miles long will go by mostly unnoticed on a map of the United States. But for Germany it is a straight run along the countries largest extension. David pointed out the comparison with Tesla End to End: John O'Groats to Lands End