Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla batteries get a van 600 miles range (1000km)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The back of the van about half full.... No mention on the weight of the batteries

2011-10-bea-tricks-219.jpg

As far as I can make out, the original German article seems to be saying that they had a fairly huge 180kw/hr on board and claim that they had enough energy left to do a further 150km after passing the 1,000Km point. Which implies they averaged 252 w/mile with all the weight on board. Also, the piece mentions it took 17 hrs at an average speed of 36Mph !

The author of that article doesn't understand the technology at all... they suggested that the extra range at the end was due to the fact that they went faster than expected. That should have the opposite effect...

At least it can carry some beer. They thought of everything.

That’s if there was any room left for beer ..

If the reported energy capacity of 180kwh is approximately correct, then the lithium payload would have weighed about the same as a whole Roadster stuffed into the back .. its hard to know what point those crazy Germans were trying to prove !

The author of that article doesn't understand the technology at all... they suggested that the extra range at the end was due to the fact that they went faster than expected. That should have the opposite effect...

Translation problems. The german source article says the drove faster because they found they had more range left than they needed... not the other way around. :biggrin:

BEA-trick does conversions of Smart ForTwo with their self-designed battery pack. There seems to be no relation with the electric smart produced by Daimler or the Tesla-made battery pack for the first 1000 of them. Just the same cell technology used.
Stuffing 10 of these packs is just as crazy as stuffing 2x V8 (=W16) and 10 radiators in a Bugatti Veyron - everybody knows this car will not be in mass production, but it has the halo effect.

Feels (no criticism, just my feeling) to me that everyone's on their case a little, so I just sat down and read the original German reports.

These guys have a commercial motivation to sell conversion sets so it's good publicity for them. It's also good for the ZEV movement to be publicizing the fact that electric vehicles can do long distance road trips. This trip was sort of the German equivalent of John O'Groats to Lands End.

From their own reporting:

...dafür hatte das Team...mit einer Fahrtzeit von 20 Stunden gerechnet. "Unterwegs sahen wir, dass es durchaus schneller geht", freut sich Daniel Sperling.

My translation:

The team had estimated a drive time of 20 hours. "On the road, we saw that it was going to be much faster", said a happy Daniel Sperling

As far as speed is concerned, press reported the following:

Im Schnitt waren die beiden Fahrer, die sich auf der anstrengenden Non-stop-Tour durch Deutschland abwechselten, mit Tempo 50 bis 80 unterwegs. Über Landstraßen und Autobahnen führte die Tour,...

My translation:

The two drivers alternating the exhausting non-stop drive through Germany averaged speeds of 50-80kph. The route took them via side roads and highways....

The interesting point is that many trucks are restricted to a max speed of 80kph; is this directly comparable? Not really, but it is getting people thinking that there are alternatives to diesel rigs. Also, details of the route are not given but some of it on side roads helps explain the average speed.

The article on www.gas2.org contains a huge howler suggesting that there was excess battery capacity maybe because the drivers had driven faster than expected (that journalist needs help!) but they did also have one very good quote:

Sperling feels that his record is more relevant to the average consumer than some of the other standing range records, as his vehicle drove on public roads with commercially available batteries rather than with prototype equipment or on closed tracks.

Daniel Sperling's guys made a good point that EV's can travel long distances in the real world and with a standard Citroen shell, not a concept car. They stated that it was also good for their research and for future developments. They should be congratulated.

Last edited: