Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla battery calculation uphill / downhill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a few trips to Mountain High from Lake Forest CA. Usually start out with 90% as long as I remember to charge it up.

But when I arrive to Mountain High, I def used more than 50 percent of my battery charge to get there. Starting around 90%, I may have 30-40% when I arrive, or get back in my car to drive back. Yesterday, I saw 30% left on my charge which was the lowest it got, probably due to cold weather and having to sit in 1 hour stuck traffic to get to Mt High. Traffic was combination of weekend & snow players + ski / snowboarders due to fresh snow that came in.

I assume if you want to do a round trip without supercharging, you can use half battery to get there, half to get back. But when I arrive to Mt High I always use over 50 percent of my battery. But because of the downhill part when going back home from ski resort, it seems to stay at the same percent the entire way down the mountain and freeway that is downhill. And once I reach the bottom, then it starts using the battery. But seems the Tesla knows what is uphill & downhill when it comes to battery calculation to your destination.

This map shows starting from Mt High, my battery will constantly stay at the same percent while going downhill. So like 26 miles of no battery use.
upload_2021-1-25_16-26-42.png