TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla battery engineering and construction?

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by bikeandsail, Apr 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

Does anyone know the actual construction of the Tesla main batteries:
    List of questions.
    Maybe there is a thread that addresses these issues.

How many cells ?
    AH and Volts per cell?
    How are they arranged - groupings?
    Fault protection - can they map out bad cells?
    How does the balancing happen, by groupings?
    What percent of battery maximum charge is used during a charge IE what is 0 and what is 100%

I currently own a Lexus RX400h that has Nickle Hydride batteries. As best I can tell they only use about 70% of the battery capacity IE 0 to 100 indicated is only 70% of maximum capability. By the way my RX400h has 220,000 miles on it and I cannot tell any degradation in the batteries, probably because they only utilize about 70% or so.

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

3. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

Some googling will answer all these questions for you, cells are individually fused.

4. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

Thanks Jeff,

The Teslatap document is very informative.

Ron

• Like x 1