Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla battery packs: high-margin, non-automotive applications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of the major shipping routes should be replaced with rail, which is (a) faster, and (b) can be electrified much more easily. It's also just plain more energy-efficient -- rolling is better than trying to fight the waves.

The major problems with this are political, not technological. Even the Bering Strait route is pretty straightforward technically.

I guess Australia would still need ships though.

Hmmm not sure I agree with some of your statements. I agree with the last one, though.

Link to Shipping Comparisons, compares different transportation modes on cargo capacity, safety, energy efficiency and environmental emissions.

Train comes on top only in cargo carrying capacity

Cargo.JPG

Ships win on energy efficiency and all other metrics

Shipping.JPG

But it this an electric locomotive or diesel locomotive? I think it will be hard to win over an electric train going on renewable power....

Also note the study comparison was done by a shipping company, so no surprises in the results

I agree that trains are quite good for transportation. The hurdle for trains is infrastructure that requires capital. Perhaps Europe has quite good train infrastructure in place, but many/most places on earth do not have it.

Hence ships and trucks are the usual modes of cargo transportation, at least in places like Australia.

Also note the study comparison was done by a shipping company, so no surprises in the results

Yes, that may explain the result ;)

I agree that trains are quite good for transportation. The hurdle for trains is infrastructure that requires capital. Perhaps Europe has quite good train infrastructure in place, but many/most places on earth do not have it.

Hence ships and trucks are the usual modes of cargo transportation, at least in places like Australia.

Yes, the infrastructure is needed. Roads and gas stations are build anyway and docks are a lower cost option to build out rail-roads. But if the infrastructure is in place, I'm sure the electric train is the best and ecologically most sensible solution. At least until there is battery powered semi-trailers and ships...

I cannot vouch for the fuel consumption of barge shipping, but according to Buffet's 2015 letter:

BNSF, like other Class I railroads, uses only a single gallon of diesel fuel to move a ton of freight almost500 miles.

So assuming the barge consumption of 514/mile is accurate, a train is about the same.