Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Battery Replacement Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is not interested in selling batteries or letting people upgrade. The exception is 90 to 100 only because the 100 came out shortly after the 90 and they don't want to piss off recent 90 owners.
Define shortly? The 70D was introduced April 2015 and 90D in July of the same year. Then there's the 75 pack which is even newer. Then there's the whole debate as to whether the 90 is a true 90.

I see the whole upgrade thing as someone that was on the fence as to which pack to get but regretted the decision later.

The cost is so high that I am thinking that we would be better off selling our car and buying a new one.

True, but some of us like the model we have. For example, I have the pre refresh dual motor frunk. Plus, the base price has been raised again so we would be paying more for the same car. Then we'd have the added depreciation. No, I just want a battery option. This car i have will be around for a while.

Reactions: croman and David99
I think that once the long term degradation picture is known we will start to see replacement options. The Tesloop vehicles run 10-15 k miles per month and have a number of vehicles over 300,000 miles. Tesla swapped out at least one of those to look at the wear-out progess. From the reports I have seen, the batteries will typically lose 5% of rated range fairly quickly (my experience too) and the next 5% of degradation takes much longer. The trick is to avoid deep discharge and charging over 90% as much as possible. I fully charge my 90D about once every 3 months or so. For the last year the 'full' range has remained steady at 272 miles.