Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla battery swap: Post announcement discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a swap station show up in a week or never. Having spoken with a couple of executives, there is no institutional support for widespread swap. Everything is being thrown into charging. Spring and Summer is the big push for Supercharging.

Over two months ago, Elon said battery swap stations would be coming online "in the next few months" between LA and SF. Barring some miracle, we're on track to miss yet another Elon-deadline. With not even the slightest evidence of construction being started, I'd be impressed if we have a single super swapper to show for by the end of 2014.

Source: Elon Musk: Battery Swap Facilities to Open Between San Francisco and LA | Inside EVs

yes, I'd really like to see an L.A. Super swapper happen soon. I'd be really disappointed if tesla didn't do it at all

I wouldn't be surprised to see a swap station show up in a week or never. Having spoken with a couple of executives, there is no institutional support for widespread swap. Everything is being thrown into charging. Spring and Summer is the big push for Supercharging.

Agree that a widespread swapping network is very unlikely at this point. But Elon has repeatedly committed himself to at least building a test network in CA so I'd be very surprised and upset if it didn't happen at all.

By the way, I'm glad to see 60 kWh owners following up on this as you guys stand to benefit the most from the swapper.

So as I'm just beginning my new book, Internal Combustion, I ran across something interesting. Did Elon take a page out of Edison and Ford's play book?

.......discharged batteries would be swapped out for fresh ones at service stations in less than seventy-five seconds, enabling long-distance travel.

Either way, pretty cool this idea was thought of all the way back in 1912.

So as I'm just beginning my new book, Internal Combustion, I ran across something interesting. Did Elon take a page out of Edison and Ford's play book?

Either way, pretty cool this idea was thought of all the way back in 1912.
Battery swapping goes back further than that, and it wasn't just thought of, it was used. New York City electric hansom taxicabs using battery swapping entered service in 1897, and much of the battery swapping technology had been developed for battery-powered streetcars prior to that. In the case of the cabs, they were positioned in the car barn and locked in place, the bodies were lifted up, wiring disconnected, a piston pulled (or pushed, I forget) the battery box onto a side table, where it was picked up by an overhead traveling crane and moved to the charging room, another battery was put in place, connections made, the body was lowered, and they were on their way. Not quite as slick as the current model, but worked well enough. And the first fatality due to a car in the U.S. was caused by one of these cabs in 1899, which struck a pedestrian named Henry H. Bliss as he was helping a woman step down from a streetcar.

Last edited:
He's already unveiled swap. He's stated that it will be enabled for LA to SF.

Unless the swap station is on the tarmac at Hawthorne Airport, then dual motor and autopilot are good guesses. I think there will be at least ONE other thing.

Maybe throwing the switch on a few more Supercharger routes?

He's already unveiled swap. He's stated that it will be enabled for LA to SF.

Unless the swap station is on the tarmac at Hawthorne Airport, then dual motor and autopilot are good guesses. I think there will be at least ONE other thing.

Maybe throwing the switch on a few more Supercharger routes?

Maybe swap IS coming to Hawthorne . . .

Hawthorne Supercharger Expansion - Enormous

Interesting to see Tesla actual putting this thing in to real-life use. Will be very interesting to see how the price not just swap but mostly switching (i.e. not swapping back to your old battery again).

Also, if they roll this out further it could mean that we will not be seeing new pack capacities with the X but rather that they try to have as few different packs as possible - only the 60 and 85 and instead build the infrastructure (SC and swap) around those capacities. The 40 being ditched and no new packs with the D's would be consistent with this.

Anyhow, I will be the most interested in seeing if they will allow 60's to partake in swapping and if so, can they swap up to 85? How much? How much to keep the 85? Can you get paid to swap down from 85 to 60??? :)

Interesting to see Tesla actual putting this thing in to real-life use. Will be very interesting to see how the price not just swap but mostly switching (i.e. not swapping back to your old battery again).

Also, if they roll this out further it could mean that we will not be seeing new pack capacities with the X but rather that they try to have as few different packs as possible - only the 60 and 85 and instead build the infrastructure (SC and swap) around those capacities. The 40 being ditched and no new packs with the D's would be consistent with this.

Anyhow, I will be the most interested in seeing if they will allow 60's to partake in swapping and if so, can they swap up to 85? How much? How much to keep the 85? Can you get paid to swap down from 85 to 60??? :)

You make some good points. This is going to be interesting how they handle the battery swap logistics. Aside from the two different sizes that are currently offered (60 and 85) aren't there different pack variances too? Aren't some packs with "A" batteries, some packs with "B" and all the way up to "D" I believe. I think there are some limitations to the "A" packs on Supercharger speed correct?

I'm assuming that any battery pack that you would receive would have to be the latest version and not someone else's in case they came back down the same route and wanted their pack back, but the logistics of this implementation should be pretty interesting.

You make some good points. This is going to be interesting how they handle the battery swap logistics. Aside from the two different sizes that are currently offered (60 and 85) aren't there different pack variances too? Aren't some packs with "A" batteries, some packs with "B" and all the way up to "D" I believe. I think there are some limitations to the "A" packs on Supercharger speed correct?

I'm assuming that any battery pack that you would receive would have to be the latest version and not someone else's in case they came back down the same route and wanted their pack back, but the logistics of this implementation should be pretty interesting.

Maybe A packs that don't accept the 120KW charging will be taken back and sent to solar city for use in home storage much like banks take back copper pennies or torn dollar bills (assuming the owner chose to pay for the upgrade to a B or D pack).

Maybe they'll do it kiosk style or maybe they'll have a battery swap station attendant. Kiosk would b self serve for the knowledgeable but having a service center employee "concierge" the swap would give you a chance to educate the users on their swap options.

Imagine the posts here after someone clueless swaps thinking the small swap fee covers the upgrade, doesn't return that battery, then gets an email from Tesla letting them know they owe $15,000 for a battery upgrade or they have to drive back to the swap station to give up the battery.

outside of the occasional clueless car owner I love the idea of there being a swap station in major metro areas. No haggle, no delay, automated battery pack upgrades charged to my credit card would be one heck of a cool impulse purchase.

I wonder how much extra the service center will charge to re-badge the rear of the vehicle after you upgrade the battery?

Maybe A packs that don't accept the 120KW charging will be taken back and sent to solar city for use in home storage much like banks take back copper pennies or torn dollar bills (assuming the owner chose to pay for the upgrade to a B or D pack).

That's entirely reasonable, but it can also be done entirely in house by Tesla. Tesla can use spent A packs to either:

a) provide grid storage/backup at SpCs.
b) use for grid storage at gigafactory to buffer utility use when solar and wind are down.
c) reduce to raw materials and upgrade to current tech.