TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla battery swap: Post announcement discussion

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by dsm363, Jun 20, 2013.

1. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

grid buffer for areas with high electricity cost difference between day/night and/or night buffer for Solar canopys when those are added to superchargers would be my first choice. I'm just assuming they would wash them through solar city for mass processing / cross branding advertising purposes.

2. hans

hans P631

d) remanufactured for use as spare parts for other A packs.

3. roblab

roblab Active Member

Who says it is going to be a D pack? My understanding was that they were going to swap a fully charged battery, take yours, charge it, and wait for your return to reclaim your original.

If they swap you an A pack that they got from someone upgrading, you will for sure bring it back and take your original battery back. Since all you wanted was a 90 second charge, you got it. Sounds like that would work perfectly.

For all the people who are so concerned about a five minute difference in charging, and all those who only charge a couple times a year, this concern over an A pack is interesting. Hopefully they won't be the ones irritated because they got an A pack when they got a battery swap. As in s-w-a-p, not as in new pack. As in exchange, not buy.

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I wrote it partly tongue in cheek, but what happens if I don't return for my original pack? The only way they can force me to do so is by making it financially burdensome. So, if the burden isn't too high, I simply drive away with my new pack, pay the cost, and everything is good.

If the swap another 'A' pack then it won't work of course

5. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

6. callmesam

callmesam Member

The charge was stated to be equivalent to a tank of fuel.

Range/efficiency.

~15 gallons?

$50 in US, $100 in EU.

7. fengshui

fengshui Member

Anyone seen signs of construction at the major existing SuperCharger sites?

8. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

need photos from people passing thru Harris Ranch. That's where the swap station was rumored to be. At the decommissioned car wash on site.

9. dennis

dennis P85D

Let me guess. The battery trade-in value will be reduced by $500/month used + $1 for each kwh the battery has been charged. :biggrin:

10. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

How does that translate to folks who have refurbed packs with significantly more miles on them than their original pack?

11. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

This is just speculation but I believe that Tesla should have some way of determining the real condition and capacity of a battery pack. It could base the exchange cost on the capacity of the "loaner" vs the capacity of the one you left behind.
    I know that most owners constantly monitor and care for their battery packs to ensure maximum life. There should be a reward for this good behavior.
    We'll just have to wait for the details to emerge.
    If battery exchanges become common and there is a fair way to account for use/abuse of the battery, it could eliminate one big fear which is the cost of a battery replacement. You could regularly refresh your battery with a new/refurbished/used battery with more (or less) capacity and pay/gain fair compensation incrementally rather than one big hit.

12. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Will be interesting to see Tesla's scan/analysis of your existing battery, possibly lots you don't presently know.
    --

13. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Sigs and early productions be advised. A post over in the Harris Ranch thread implied our packs might not be swap compatible:

Can anyone confirm?

14. Kraken

Kraken Member

Just stopped by the battery swap location at Harris Ranch and talked to the "attendant"...

1. Beta testing is ongoing and will be for several months. After beta testing the mass trial will begin. Beta testing is to work the kinks/processes out. Mass trial is to evaluate the feasibility of widespread implementation.
    2. Currently, and for the foreseeable future, only 85kWh packs eligible.
    3. Still expected to be the price of a tank of gas ($60-100).
    4. This price includes two swaps (outbound and return leg).
    5. Don't expect a one time swap (ex. Battery upgrade or return route doesn't pass through swap location)
    6. You WILL get YOUR battery back (This is huge to them. The batteries belongs to the swap location just like yours belongs to you.)
    7. Initially will be open during normal business hours (9-5ish) during beta testing, hopefully open 24/7 when fully operational.
    8. Appointment system based on when you will be passing through (out and back).
    9. Attendant will drive car through swap. There will be no car's falling in the hole...and if it did, the battery lift below is able to lift the car back up.
    10. While waiting, there will be a waiting area where you can watch the process and grab a refreshment.
    11. Attendant can help with supercharger issues if necessary.

Note
    1. Maximum time between swaps is not specified yet. Expect no more than a couple weeks.

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Wonder why they wouldn't just have the lift in the "Up" position to fill the hole anyway?

16. ggies07

ggies07 Supporting Member

cool, thanks for the info! I swear though, I thought the whole point was that you didn't have to get out of the car, it was supposed to be faster than filling up a tank of gas......

17. MartinAustin

MartinAustin I Do Not Read Electrek

Sure, but I think they can safely hide behind the "beta" label for now. My other thoughts on it though...

I am assuming the 85KWh exclusivity is just because they're keeping it simple under the hood while they iron out the kinks and make sure it works reliably. But this is one way I was hoping Tesla would offer different battery sizes for different amounts of money, and use swap stations to seed the market with new sizes. (you would buy them right there and then inside the swap station, and upgrade your car in 1.5 minutes, basically) So I look forward to seeing 40KWh and 60KWh batteries getting swapped as well.

I was fond of the idea that via your first ever battery swap, you would basically elect to surrender your battery into the "system" and never get it back... simply living off of other batteries from that point onwards. (Said batteries being warrantied for use by Tesla of course) Perhaps they have seen too much physical wear and tear on existing cars to support this system as there would be too many people dumping their damaged batteries into the swap system as a method to get a better one. Otherwise, the "free or fast" isn't really held up by this restriction. As of now it's going to be "free or fast, as long as you don't mind coming back to this exact location within two weeks." One of the things we probably like about ICE cars is that they are always ready for immediate deployment on any trip, any time - you can decide to drive across the country and just do it immediately, if you want. Having to bring your car back to a certain spot before a certain date doesn't strike me as liberating.

I was under the impression (and this came mostly from info out of Tesla Motors) that the titanium shield parts did not cover the battery, they were in actually front of it, thus not impeding battery swap at all. Recently however, it was confirmed that (whether this is the case or not) those parts need to be removed in order to do the battery swap, then replaced afterwards, preventing it from ever being as speedy as it was during Elon's 2013 demo. Has the Model X been redesigned to avoid this extra time delay? Time will tell, no pun untended.

The development of this is certainly going as slow as molasses. Sort of the same speed as the SDK. Attendant needs to drive your car in? Where is the software update that charges your account directly? Shouldn't we all see that deployed to our cars already? Makes we wonder if they are really trying to make it work, or if it will ever happen. By that I mean extensive deployment of automated battery swap stations all over the place, so that you don't need to drive a long distance to use it. We seem a long way from that situation.

Sorry for the doom & gloom :|

18. Jonas J. Solsvik

Any news on this, or has the swap-station scheme turned out to be a dead end?

19. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's dead in the water.

20. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

Any news on further rollout or has Tesla officially killed the idea?