Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla battery warranty enhancement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question often asked about our cars is, how long before you will need to replace the battery?

The topic of battery longevity gets muddied in terms of understanding degradation versus ‘usable’ battery life and maybe Tesla has decided it is simpler not to address the issue. After all, declining range is a foreign concept to ICE drivers who already anticipate facing range anxiety with BEVs. Still, our battery packs are performing amazingly well and seem to be on track to challenge the average life expectancy of typical gas engines. What if Tesla enhanced their existing warranty by adding a component about range? Maybe…..

Guaranteed to retain 80% Range after 200,000 miles (322,000 kilometres) or 8 years, which ever comes first

Tesla would likely know the sweet spot for these limits (I'm just guessing), where exposure to claims would be low while appeal to the market could be maximized.

I recall the impact it had when Elon announced an 8 year unlimited mileage drivetrain warranty… retroactive for all cars. Could / should they do something similar with this warranty enhancement?

A question often asked about our cars is, how long before you will need to replace the battery?

The topic of battery longevity gets muddied in terms of understanding degradation versus ‘usable’ battery life and maybe Tesla has decided it is simpler not to address the issue. After all, declining range is a foreign concept to ICE drivers who already anticipate facing range anxiety with BEVs. Still, our battery packs are performing amazingly well and seem to be on track to challenge the average life expectancy of typical gas engines. What if Tesla enhanced their existing warranty by adding a component about range? Maybe…..

Guaranteed to retain 80% Range after 200,000 miles (322,000 kilometres) or 8 years, which ever comes first

Tesla would likely know the sweet spot for these limits (I'm just guessing), where exposure to claims would be low while appeal to the market could be maximized.

I recall the impact it had when Elon announced an 8 year unlimited mileage drivetrain warranty… retroactive for all cars. Could / should they do something similar with this warranty enhancement?
Not sure it would help with sales much. Battery degradation isn't a topic they need to bring to the forefront and as you yourself know it's not really an issue.

Tesla doesn't warranty degradation (except maybe excessive degradation) because it's a variable they can't control. Where you live, how you charge, how much you charge to, how often, etc.
Yes, but in the worse case scenario, what are we hearing about? Any reports of range loss of more than 80% after 200,000 miles? If not, wouldn't a guarantee of this reassure a lot of potential customers?

Cars that rake up high mileage in a short amount of time are not the ones that you can take as a good reference point for the majority of the cars that would put in say 100k miles in about 7 or 8 years, which is the more typical use case. I bet you would see a completely different degradation curve for them

• Helpful
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Cars that rake up high mileage in a short amount of time are not the ones that you can take as a good reference point for the majority of the cars that would put in say 100k miles in about 7 or 8 years, which is the more typical use case. I bet you would see a completely different degradation curve for them
These batteries haven't been around that long but you could get data for 3 years worth of 85 kw cars.

Tesla just raised the price of their cars and eliminated free supercharging for life. These are not things a company does if it's trying to boost sales. This shows me that the factory is probably humming right along at near capacity and they can sell everything they make.

With demand this high they don't have to guarantee anything.

Reactions: David99
Tesla just raised the price of their cars and eliminated free supercharging for life. These are not things a company does if it's trying to boost sales. This shows me that the factory is probably humming right along at near capacity and they can sell everything they make.

With demand this high they don't have to guarantee anything.
They eliminated charge for life because they couldn't afford to build it out and, more importantly, people generally don't use it that much. It doubt it has much to do with current production or sales volume.

They eliminated charge for life because they couldn't afford to build it out and, more importantly, people generally don't use it that much. It doubt it has much to do with current production or sales volume.

Free charge for life is big sales perk and they also raised the price of the car. You don't do these things if you're having trouble keeping the factory humming at capacity. Simple marketing 101.

Reactions: David99
Discussion not really on the topic of the thread but ...

more importantly, people generally don't use it that much

SCs are the only thing that make Teslas a usable vehicle for LD travel - without them purchase would have been a deal breaker for me. Agreed they didn't necessarily need be a no charge service, just a competitive one from a ¢/KW charged compared to commercial L3 chargers with no premium for higher speed charging rates - that's the Tesla advantage (today).

Does anyone have a link to see how "much" each SC or the system is using? The system still seems to be expanded but disappointingly much slower than previously suggested and will never match the so-called "2016" projected map this year. And where are the 2017 and 2018 projection maps - they used to post a year or two out ...

Free charge for life is big sales perk and they also raised the price of the car. You don't do these things if you're having trouble keeping the factory humming at capacity. Simple marketing 101.
According to Tesla, SuperChargers are vastly underutilized. Additional revenue from "charge on demand" or subscription creates a new profit center. Add to that a reduction in spending on that infrastructure and you have profit. Something us shareholders like. Finance 101.